Internet backup services for Linux

Post by Mark Wan » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi all -- after suffering a pretty major disk crash with my personal Linux
box, it's reminded me of the need to have backups of everything. =P  I
would like to go with a third-party Internet backup service, so I don't
have to keep a regular schedule myself, and so I have the added security
of an off-site copy of everything.

Does anyone know of/can recommend any commercial Internet-based remote
backup service compatible with Linux?  All the ones I've seen are Windows
only.

Thanks for your help!

-- Mark

--
Mark Wang                           "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only
Stanford University '99              light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out

http://www.cs.stanford.edu/~mwang/              -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Internet backup services for Linux

Post by Robie Bas » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On 23 Jun 2000 19:43:25 GMT, Mark Wang said:

Quote:>Hi all -- after suffering a pretty major disk crash with my personal Linux
>box, it's reminded me of the need to have backups of everything. =P  I
>would like to go with a third-party Internet backup service, so I don't
>have to keep a regular schedule myself, and so I have the added security
>of an off-site copy of everything.

Hmm. Assuming you just bought yourself a new hard drive, it's got to
be at least > 10 Gb or so. In which case, what kind of internet speed
do you have? If you've only just started considering it, have you made
sure you've calculated the time it'll take to do a full backup/money
it will cost?

Quote:>Does anyone know of/can recommend any commercial Internet-based remote
>backup service compatible with Linux?  All the ones I've seen are Windows
>only.

Sorry, I'm on a 56 kbps connection, so internet backuping is kinda out
of the question :-)

Robie.
--

Post by Mark Wan » Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:00:00

: Hmm. Assuming you just bought yourself a new hard drive, it's got to
: be at least > 10 Gb or so. In which case, what kind of internet speed
: do you have? If you've only just started considering it, have you made
: sure you've calculated the time it'll take to do a full backup/money
: it will cost?

True, however, the size of the data that I really need backed up (ie,
stuff that can't be re-installed or re-created easily) is small relative
to this -- around 500 MB - 1 GB  or so.  Plus, the way most services work
is that they just incrementally back up changed files, so after the first
full backup, the amount of data is much smalaler.

I'm on a Ethernet connection, and a fast connection to the Internet
backbone, so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue for me.

If anyone knows _any_ suggestions, please let me know.  Seems to me this
is a potentially large market.

-- Mark

--
Mark Wang                           "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only
Stanford University '99              light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out

http://www.cs.stanford.edu/~mwang/              -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Internet backup services for Linux

Post by Christopher Brow » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Mark Wang would say:

>: Hmm. Assuming you just bought yourself a new hard drive, it's got to
>: be at least > 10 Gb or so. In which case, what kind of internet speed
>: do you have? If you've only just started considering it, have you made
>: sure you've calculated the time it'll take to do a full backup/money
>: it will cost?

>True, however, the size of the data that I really need backed up (ie,
>stuff that can't be re-installed or re-created easily) is small relative
>to this -- around 500 MB - 1 GB  or so.  Plus, the way most services work
>is that they just incrementally back up changed files, so after the first
>full backup, the amount of data is much smaller.

>I'm on a Ethernet connection, and a fast connection to the Internet
>backbone, so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue for me.

>If anyone knows _any_ suggestions, please let me know.  Seems to me this
>is a potentially large market.

See:
<http://www.betterbackups.com/>
<http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/features/utilities99/onlinebk03.html>
<http://www.miletus.com/Net-Archive.html>

And, particularly...
<http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Internet/\
Site_Management/Backup/>

It sorta looks like <http://thedatabank.net/> is _not_ one of the
options to look at; if they can't keep their web site up, I'd question
the reliability of the backups...
--

This program posts news to billions of machines throughout the galaxy.
Your message will cost the  net enough to bankrupt your entire planet.

Post by Mark Wan » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

: See:
: <http://www.betterbackups.com/>
: <http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/features/utilities99/onlinebk03.html>
: <http://www.miletus.com/Net-Archive.html>

I've looked into most of them already.  The problem is: These sites all
use proprietary client software which don't support Linux.  As I clearly
stated in my original post (and since I'm posting this to a _Linux_
newsgroup), I am interested in seeing if there were any such services
which are comparable to these that DO support Linux.

Post by Bev » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> : See:
> : <http://www.betterbackups.com/>
> : <http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/features/utilities99/onlinebk03.html>
> : <http://www.miletus.com/Net-Archive.html>

> I've looked into most of them already.  The problem is: These sites
>  all
> use proprietary client software which don't support Linux.  As I
>  clearly
> stated in my original post (and since I'm posting this to a _Linux_
> newsgroup), I am interested in seeing if there were any such services
> which are comparable to these that DO support Linux.

Thanks for saving me the time!  Real shame that so few providers of slick
free services don't see fit to make them available to linux users.  What
are we, cheap low-life scum?  Uhh, never mind...

--
Cheers,
Bev

Post by Shawn Smit » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>> : See:
>> : <http://www.betterbackups.com/>
>> : <http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/features/utilities99/onlinebk03.html>
>> : <http://www.miletus.com/Net-Archive.html>

>> I've looked into most of them already.  The problem is: These sites
>>  all
>> use proprietary client software which don't support Linux.  As I
>>  clearly
>> stated in my original post (and since I'm posting this to a _Linux_
>> newsgroup), I am interested in seeing if there were any such services
>> which are comparable to these that DO support Linux.

I think xdrive allows you to access your drive via netscape.

Quote:>Thanks for saving me the time!  Real shame that so few providers of slick
>free services don't see fit to make them available to linux users.  What
>are we, cheap low-life scum?  Uhh, never mind...

I am high priced scum :)

--
All the best,
Shawn Smith  !UNT Proud!

Post by Matt O'Tool » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Thanks for saving me the time!  Real shame that so few providers of slick
> free services don't see fit to make them available to linux users.  What
> are we, cheap low-life scum?  Uhh, never mind...

Especially when it's so easy to do with Java, etc., since virtually all mass
market browsers on all platforms are Java enabled.  Palm Pilots, etc., as
well.  So, these morons are just shooting themselves in the foot.  It
wouldn't be too hard for a competitor with a better idea to bury their sorry
asses...

Matt O.

Post by Bev » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > Thanks for saving me the time!  Real shame that so few providers of slick
> > free services don't see fit to make them available to linux users.  What
> > are we, cheap low-life scum?  Uhh, never mind...

> Especially when it's so easy to do with Java, etc., since virtually all mass
> market browsers on all platforms are Java enabled.  Palm Pilots, etc., as
> well.  So, these morons are just shooting themselves in the foot.  It
> wouldn't be too hard for a competitor with a better idea to bury their sorry
> asses...

I always send email to that effect.  No results so far.  Real shame that
some people are too stupid to bend over and pick up the free money lying at
their feet...

Latest *:  trying to use two varieties of linux and two varieties of
netscape to order some car parts from JC Whitney.  I'm ashamed to say that
I had to crank up win95 and netscape 3.0 to do it, and that worked fine.
They haven't returned my email either...

--
Cheers,
Bev

1. Connecting to the Internet via Internet service provider (How?)

I want to be able to connect to my internet service provider via modem
with Linux.  I currently use Netscape 1.1 when in DOS.  I know that I
need a graphical web browser like Netscape (I have Xfree86 up and
running ) but what else is needed.  I've heard of 'dip' but don't
really know what it is or why I might need it.  I have e-mailed tech
support at my internet service provider for help but haven't gotten a
response back yet and I am very anxious to get on the web via
Linux....any help would be greatly appreciated.

What about DOSEMU?  What would be the disadvantage to just use my
current Netscape 1.1 (windows) with DOSEMU (if it works)?

Thank you in advance.

2. How to browse a site using IP address in Hex format?

3. Getting Linux to collect my Mail via internet service provider

4. Question about modem connection speed

5. WWW: Linux Internet Service Provider Mailing List

6. CERN HTTPD std distrib uncompilable ?

7. Connecting to BellAtlantic Internet Services via Linux

8. Sony crx120Eu-RP

9. Linux and my Internet Service Provider

10. Linux & Mediaone Internet service

11. Linux Internet Service Provider Home Page

12. Which Internet Service Provider is especially Linux-friendly?

13. Internet Service Provider and LINUX