Actix GE32 + USR modem on COM4 doesn't work??

Actix GE32 + USR modem on COM4 doesn't work??

Post by Sarat Vemu » Fri, 19 Nov 1993 15:19:27

Hello all,

I just bought a new Actix GE 32 video card.  I works great.
But I have one problem.  I have a USR Sportster 14.4k modem
and I am unable to connect to it when the Actix is in
graphics mode.  The USR is on COM4 IRQ5.   I read
in the Actix manual that some cards are modeled after
XT (as opposed to AT)style bus thus responding
to address [n]2E8 where n is > 0, even thought they shoudl
only respond to 02E8.  Actix uses [A-E]2E8 for I/O ports.
It also says that COM4 is on 02E8.

Now, my question is: Is USR Sportster really that dumb.
(My USR Sportster version is 4.1).  If not, what can
I do to correct this problem?

Oh, and I can not move it to COM1 or COM3 since COM1 is
used by Mouse.  COM2 with usual IRQ has a dumb terminal attached
to it so I can not move to COM2 either. ( I hate the COM
port architecture in IBM PC :-()

Some more details:
Noname ISA motherboard with AMD 386/40Mhz processor
8 MB memory.
AMI BIOS.
Actix GE32 video card 1MB.
USR Sportster 14.4modem 4.1 in COM4 IRQ 5
Mouse on COM1
Running Linux PL13 + XFree86 2.0
 or DR DOS 6.0 + Windows 3.1

Thanks in advance for any help  you can offer.

Sarat Vemuri

Actix GE32 + USR modem on COM4 doesn't work??

Post by Peter Dalgaard S » Sat, 20 Nov 1993 03:06:44

Quote:>I just bought a new Actix GE 32 video card.  I works great.
>But I have one problem.  I have a USR Sportster 14.4k modem
>and I am unable to connect to it when the Actix is in
>graphics mode.  The USR is on COM4 IRQ5.   I read
>in the Actix manual that some cards are modeled after
>XT (as opposed to AT)style bus thus responding
>to address [n]2E8 where n is > 0, even thought they shoudl
>only respond to 02E8.  Actix uses [A-E]2E8 for I/O ports.
>It also says that COM4 is on 02E8.
>Now, my question is: Is USR Sportster really that dumb.
>(My USR Sportster version is 4.1).  If not, what can
>I do to correct this problem?

Holy Toledo,

I've been having exactly the same kind of problem with
a Hyundai 2400 baud modem and both an Orchid and a Tseng
ET4000/W32. Well, not exactly the same, in my case the modem
will sometimes lock up after playing games under MS-DOS
and under Linux X, communication sometimes ceases abruptly
and the modem disappears until a hard reset!

Looks like it's worthwhile to do a little port shuffling,
even though I'd practically given up on the sucker.
Thanx pal! Sorry that I cannot help with your original
problem (I suppose you have though about moving your
current com1/2 into com3/4? Not possible on your system)

        Peter

--
   O_   ---- Peter Dalgaard
  c/ /'  --- Statistical Research Unit

Post by Kelly Murr » Sat, 20 Nov 1993 06:26:10

|> Hello all,
|>
|> I just bought a new Actix GE 32 video card.  I works great.
|> But I have one problem.  I have a USR Sportster 14.4k modem
|> and I am unable to connect to it when the Actix is in
|> graphics mode.  The USR is on COM4 IRQ5.   I read
|> in the Actix manual that some cards are modeled after
|> XT (as opposed to AT)style bus thus responding
|> to address [n]2E8 where n is > 0, even thought they shoudl
|> only respond to 02E8.  Actix uses [A-E]2E8 for I/O ports.
|> It also says that COM4 is on 02E8.
|>
|> Now, my question is: Is USR Sportster really that dumb.
|> (My USR Sportster version is 4.1).  If not, what can
|> I do to correct this problem?
|>
|> Oh, and I can not move it to COM1 or COM3 since COM1 is
|> used by Mouse.  COM2 with usual IRQ has a dumb terminal attached
|> to it so I can not move to COM2 either. ( I hate the COM
|> port architecture in IBM PC :-()

There are serial boards that allow you to use different addresses
for the COM ports.  However, I'm not sure if you can have 4 ports
in use, and still not use the 2e8 address, without going to
a real multiport serial card.  A configurable 2 serial port
board about $10.  I would double check this is your problem, though,
as I have a hard time believe such a new modem has this problem.
I would try moving the terminal to COM4 and see if the modem works
on COM2.

--

University of Florida Parallel Research Lab  :: 96-node KSR1, 64-node nCUBE

ISA Actix GE32 1mb: $129, GE32+2mb: $179, Ultra+2mbVram: $299

Post by Penio Pen » Wed, 24 Nov 1993 08:46:27

| Hello all,

| I just bought a new Actix GE 32 video card.  I works great.
| But I have one problem.  I have a USR Sportster 14.4k modem
| and I am unable to connect to it when the Actix is in
| graphics mode.  The USR is on COM4 IRQ5.   I read
| in the Actix manual that some cards are modeled after
| XT (as opposed to AT)style bus thus responding
| to address [n]2E8 where n is > 0, even thought they shoudl
| only respond to 02E8.  Actix uses [A-E]2E8 for I/O ports.
| It also says that COM4 is on 02E8.

| Now, my question is: Is USR Sportster really that dumb.
| (My USR Sportster version is 4.1).  If not, what can
| I do to correct this problem?

| Oh, and I can not move it to COM1 or COM3 since COM1 is
| used by Mouse.  COM2 with usual IRQ has a dumb terminal attached
| to it so I can not move to COM2 either. ( I hate the COM
| port architecture in IBM PC :-()

You don't say whether your modem is internal or external.

I have the internal version and I use it (by chance) at COM3, IRQ5.
Works fine. I haven't tried COM4, though. Oh, I have an Actix GE32+/VLB

--

Disclaimer: All oppinions are mine.

Post by Ralf G. R. Ber » Thu, 25 Nov 1993 23:46:53

>| Hello all,
>| I just bought a new Actix GE 32 video card.  I works great.
>| But I have one problem.  I have a USR Sportster 14.4k modem
>| and I am unable to connect to it when the Actix is in
>| graphics mode.  The USR is on COM4 IRQ5.   I read

This is a know "feature" of S3 chips: if you have a graphics card
w/ S3 chip in your system, you can't use COM4 (unless you can set
your serial card to a different port, say 01e8h or similar).

 Ralf

--
Ralf G. R. Bergs, Aachen University of Technology EE (comp. eng.) student
snail: H"uckeswagener Str. 42, D-51647 Gummersbach, Fed. Rep. of Germany

Post by Ing. Jiri Kvar » Sun, 28 Nov 1993 00:47:41

>>| Hello all,
>>| I just bought a new Actix GE 32 video card.  I works great.
>>| But I have one problem.  I have a USR Sportster 14.4k modem
>>| and I am unable to connect to it when the Actix is in
>>| graphics mode.  The USR is on COM4 IRQ5.   I read
>This is a know "feature" of S3 chips: if you have a graphics card
>w/ S3 chip in your system, you can't use COM4 (unless you can set
>your serial card to a different port, say 01e8h or similar).

This not the "feature" of S3, but this is the "feature" of all IBM 8514
compatible graphic cards. IBM uses I/O adrress of COM4 port for this card
and breaks their own standard for PC systems.

                                                   Jiri Kvarda
                                        Czech Technical University Prague

DATA.37

1. Boca v.34 & Actix GE32+ upgrade...progress report.

Wednesday I purchased & installed a Boca v.34 modem.  It connected
reliably to 14.4k v.42bis Zyxels, but connections to USR 28.8
v.<everything> were spotty -- fastest was 21.6, slowest was 9.6, with
a couple of connections at 19.2 which resulted in gibberish chars
being received.  After quite a bit of tinkering I discovered the ROM
checksum command reported ERROR.  So, this modem's going back ASAP
Monday.  (Yes, I followed good static-avoidance procedures handling
the board; I handled 2 Digicom modems & 4 video adaptor boards without
hurting them...)

I also installed Actix GraphicsEngine 32+ ISA video adaptors which use
the S3 801 graphics accelerator chip, replacing a Trident 8900C & Oak
1570.  I am quite pleased with the Actix perfromance -- MSWindows runs
noticibly faster, Linux/X is *much* faster.  I got these for $99
ea. plus $8 handling from Kelly at ncx.com.

I was hoping to get the video of my 486DX33 at home running close to
that of my 486DS66 w/ motherboard S3 801 at work.  It's close,
difference is barely perceptable if at all.

The saga continues...
--
<>  Bob `Bear' Geer   <>               *                /    <>

<>  Salt Lake City,   <>    -\<,     * <\      ~~,__/  > ~~  <>
<>    Ootah, USA      <>    O/ O    __ /__,           /      <>

2. Problems with linux memory managment !?

3. Anyone using an Actix GE32 ISA card?

4. rsync instead of mirror?

5. Help! My USR modem doesn't work!!

6. Icons from Macintosh

7. Actix GE32+ 2MB, XS3 & Random Dots

8. D-Link 220 ISA

9. Modem won't work on com4

10. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

11. Help: Modem doesn't work -- Compaq Presario 336-VSC Modem

12. usual 'modem doesn't work' gripe

13. Modem doesn't work after system upgrade (but works under Win98)