Can't Connect to Services

Post by tszet » Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:14:55

Hello,

I just installed Redhat 7.1 and I can ping it, but I can't seem to connect
to it with telnet, ftp or with a browser (with Apache running).

I get the message:
Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

Where should I begin to look. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted

Can't Connect to Services

Post by D. Stimit » Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:31:47

> Hello,

> I just installed Redhat 7.1 and I can ping it, but I can't seem to connect
> to it with telnet, ftp or with a browser (with Apache running).

> I get the message:
> Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

> Where should I begin to look. Any help appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Ted

You will find a directory /etc/xinetd.d/. In that directory must be a
file for each xinetd controlled program, among which is telnet. In turn,
the file telnet must have:
   disable = no

Then you need to restart xinetd for it to take effect:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart

If you have firewall options, you will have to alter them (e.g.,
probably from /etc/sysconfig/ipchains, although the iptables might be in
effect; then you can do "/etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains restart" if you just
updated ipchains files). Word of caution with ipchains: If the kernel
you have does not properly support ipchains, such as due to wrong
modules being inserted, it will fail to properly tell you that it did so
in various places. Manually run "ipchains -L -n" and see if rules are
listed...versus some complaint about ipchains not being supported. (but
again, this only matters if you have ipchains blocking)

1. It's not bad canned meat...

Thanks for your time.  We at I.S.P.O.T. (The International Society
for the Preservation Of Trees (URL http://www.local-touch.com/ISPOT/)) feel
that electronic messages are great for getting the word out while preserving
our friend the tree.  Anyway, please stop by our home page!

Thanks again!

SusieQ

2. REALLY Need HELP with IP Masq

3. Pthreads and Pointers

4. I can't connect() to port 119 (nntp service)

5. Vote for Linux

6. Sendmail service port 25 can't be connected

7. hi

8. : Xmosaic-2.0 can't connect to services over cslip

9. I can't connect Linux with @home service

10. pppoe: can't connect to a particular service name (provider)

11. Solaris' latency in re-connecting to a port (was: Are multiple connect()'s valid?)

12. CORRECTION : Can't connect to Xserver SHOULD BE Can't connect to XVNCserver