Another RealPlayer G2 question.

Post by Joe Morto » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,

  I have a strange problem with RealPlayer G2 that I haven't been able
to figure out.  I have checked the FAQs, HOWTOs, etc., with no luck
finding anything for this specific problem.

 I've gotten the Realplayer to work when logged in as root just fine, in
Netscape 4.6, I click on a realaudio or realvideo link and it starts
right up and plays beautifully.  However if as a normal user I click on
the same link, the RealPlayer pops up on the screen, and doesn't load or
play anything.

 I set everything up the same for the user as I had for the root.  Other
sound functions work fine for the normal user - WAVs, audio CDs, and
other sound fx.

  My first thought was that it might be a file permission problem, so I
went to any Reaplayer files I could fine and changed the permisions so
they are read, write and executable to all users, but that didn't do
anything.

 I am using Redhat 6.0 (upgraded from 5.2) with kernel 2.2.9 on an AMD
K2-400.   It is quite possible that I overlooked something obvious, as
I've only been using Linux since late March  and claim only enough
knowlege about Linux to be dangerous.

 Any help would be appreciated.

Another RealPlayer G2 question.

Post by Eric Pott » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Joe Morton enlightened this group thus:

> Hello all,

>   I have a strange problem with RealPlayer G2 that I haven't been able
> to figure out.  I have checked the FAQs, HOWTOs, etc., with no luck
> finding anything for this specific problem.

>  I've gotten the Realplayer to work when logged in as root just fine, in
> Netscape 4.6, I click on a realaudio or realvideo link and it starts
> right up and plays beautifully.  However if as a normal user I click on
> the same link, the RealPlayer pops up on the screen, and doesn't load or
> play anything.

>  I set everything up the same for the user as I had for the root.  Other
> sound functions work fine for the normal user - WAVs, audio CDs, and
> other sound fx.

>   My first thought was that it might be a file permission problem, so I
> went to any Reaplayer files I could fine and changed the permisions so
> they are read, write and executable to all users, but that didn't do
> anything.

>  I am using Redhat 6.0 (upgraded from 5.2) with kernel 2.2.9 on an AMD
> K2-400.   It is quite possible that I overlooked something obvious, as
> I've only been using Linux since late March  and claim only enough
> knowlege about Linux to be dangerous.

>  Any help would be appreciated.

You may want to check the permissions on /dev/dsp

Do any other sound apps work?
--

 *^  / \  \   |  \
 / \/   \  \__|   \

Another RealPlayer G2 question.

Post by Carl Fi » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>. . . However if as a normal user I click on
>the same link, the RealPlayer pops up on the screen, and doesn't load or
>play anything.

Be sure that you have "%s" in the definition of RealPlayer G2 files
in your Netscape Preferences/Navigator/Programs.
--

"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."
        -Martin Luther on Copernicus' theory that the Earth orbits the sun

Another RealPlayer G2 question.

Post by John McKo » Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>[Posted and mailed]

 <<big snip>>

>You may want to check the permissions on /dev/dsp

THANK YOU! I had the same problem. This fixed it. MUCHAS GRACIAS!

John McKown

Another RealPlayer G2 question.

Post by Joe Morto » Mon, 07 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi again,

It seems you're right about it being  a /dev/dsp problem.  Shortly after I
posted my message, I stumbled onto a web site with an embeded MIDI file and
got a page full of  "couldn't open Linux dsp device" errors which pointed me
to the same spot.    That  was the problem.

Thanks loads for for all the help,

1. realplayer g2 as plugin?

Hi,

Has anyone gotten the new alpha Realplayer G2 for Linux to run as a
netscape plugin?

It runs fine as a stand-alone, but I can't get it to accept streamed
audio from the web.

If there's a secret, please let me know what it is.

thanks,

Jimmy

2. autologin after boot

3. No sound for my Realplayer G2 on Redhat 6.0

4. Accelerated X 1.X and CL5428 2MB

5. RealPlayer G2 and WMP

6. Counting script

7. RealPlayer G2

8. Multiple sites on a single server

9. Realplayer G2

10. RealPlayer G2

11. Plugin for Realplayer G2!

12. Suse 6.3 - Netscape - Realplayer G2 plugin

13. G2-RealPlayer