Head Hurts from Banging Against Wall

Post by Paul W. Frield » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

*** NOTE:  BEFORE you attempt to answer this question, realize that I am
an intermediate Linux user.  DO NOT bother giving me any advice unless
you READ THE QUESTION CAREFULLY. I say this only to avoid a rash of
uninformative advice from well-meaning newbies.  Thank you.  Really. ***

Here's the problem:

I have a FAT32 (vfat) partition that I usually mount at boot time using
this entry in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hdd1   /mnt/download   vfat   defaults    0 0

What I would like to do is have this partition mounted so that a regular
user can make directories on this partition, copy/create files, etc.  I
have tried using both "owner" and "user" in the options column, without
any luck.  I have tried set[ug]id'ing as well as "sticky-bitting" the
/mnt/download directory, but once I mount the vfat partition there, the
bits get reset until the partition is umounted.

Has anyone out there successfully done this?  I do not want to make the
partition ext2 because I often download materials for my Windoze system
as well, and I want to be able to read/write it from there (thus,
read-only ext2 support for Windoze is not an option).

Feel free to e-mail me also, but PLEASE post the answer here too so
others may benefit.

PWF.
(my turn in the service queue)

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

: *** NOTE:  BEFORE you attempt to answer this question, realize that I am
: an intermediate Linux user.  DO NOT bother giving me any advice unless

Gesundheit.

: I have a FAT32 (vfat) partition that I usually mount at boot time using
: this entry in /etc/fstab:

: /dev/hdd1   /mnt/download   vfat   defaults    0 0

: What I would like to do is have this partition mounted so that a regular
: user can make directories on this partition, copy/create files, etc.  I

You can't, exactly, given lack of definition of a "regular user". Is that one of yoru pals?
I'd

(1) Mount it as umsdos (and hope that umsdos doesn't mind the fat32-ness
at the dos level; I don't think it does).  Man umssync.  That'll make it
support unix concepts such as permissions and owners.

Failing that, of course, you _could_

(2) "man 8 mount", and use your imagination mased upon the "uid=" and
"gid=" options (check they work on vfat!), and mess with your pals groups.
Or just

(3) use the "umask=" stuff:

   umask=value
      For the msdos and hpfs file systems, give every file a umask of
      value.  The radix defaults to octal.

Is that umask=000 or umask=777, you want, I wonder? :-).

: Feel free to e-mail me also, but PLEASE post the answer here too so
: others may benefit.

: PWF.
: (my turn in the service queue)

man man...

Peter

Head Hurts from Banging Against Wall

Post by Anita Lew » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Here is mine.  I'm sure some of it is not necessary, because I originally
set it up with linuxconf, but to get it to work for me (#500), I threw
uid=500 in.  You might be able to do something with gid as well if you
need it for more than one user. It's listed as an option, though I don't
know how it works going into the windows partition.  But the uid works
fine for one user.

/dev/hda1       /mnt/win        vfat   user,exec,dev,suid,rw,uid=500 1 1

Anita

Post by mirce » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> : *** NOTE:  BEFORE you attempt to answer this question, realize that I am
> : an intermediate Linux user.  DO NOT bother giving me any advice unless

> Gesundheit.

> : I have a FAT32 (vfat) partition that I usually mount at boot time using
> : this entry in /etc/fstab:

> : /dev/hdd1   /mnt/download   vfat   defaults    0 0

> : What I would like to do is have this partition mounted so that a regular
> : user can make directories on this partition, copy/create files, etc.  I
>    umask=value
>       For the msdos and hpfs file systems, give every file a umask of
>       value.  The radix defaults to octal.

> Is that umask=000 or umask=777, you want, I wonder? :-).

Here's how I mount a vfat partition with write permission for everyone:
/dev/hda6            /mnt/fat-d       vfat            defaults,umask=0
1   0

MST

Head Hurts from Banging Against Wall

Post by Klaus Koc » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Here's the problem:
> I have a FAT32 (vfat) partition that I usually mount at boot time using
> this entry in /etc/fstab:
> /dev/hdd1   /mnt/download   vfat   defaults    0 0
> What I would like to do is have this partition mounted so that a regular
> user can make directories on this partition, copy/create files, etc.  I

as a linux-newbie I asked deja.com and found this:

/dev/hda1    /mnt/win      vfat      defaults,user,gid=101,umask=002,quiet 0 2

regards

Klaus

1. Hardware flow control problem (banging head against brick wall)

Hope someone can put me out of my misery.

I am writing a program to try and use hwflow (CTS/RTS) on linux
(kernel 2.4.3)
When CTS drops linux still sends data. I am using these port settings,
and opening the port with O_NONBLOCK, when I get a connect message I
turn O_NONBLOCK off. I always select() the port before
sending/receiving data. I have tried using tcdrain(), sending a byte
at a time and using O_SYNC with the open.
I also seem to get the same problem with SCO too.
If I set the port to 115200, rather than 38400 it makes no difference
at all.
Yet if I turn HWflow off at 115200 the serial port gets garbage, so it
seems
to some extent hwflow is working, but not if the modem at the other
end causes the CTS to drop. All cabling is correct and has been
rechecked.

I have 2 USR 3com 56k faxmodem (external) all uarts are ok
modem settings are OK I think and are the same at both ends.

Modem Settings
--------------

AT&FE0V0Q2F1L0M1
AT&A0&B1&C1&D2&H1&I0&K1
AT&M4&N0&P1&R2&S0&U0
ATS0=1S13=1S38=2&W

Port Settings
-------------

#define CFLAGS_SET (CREAD|CS8)
#define CFLAGS_CLEAR (CSTOPB|PARENB|PARODD|CSIZE|HUPCL|CLOCAL|CBAUD)
#define IFLAGS_SET IGNBRK|IGNPAR
#define IFLAGS_CLEAR
(BRKINT|PARMRK|INPCK|ISTRIP|INLCR|IGNCR|ICRNL|IUCLC|IXON|IXANY|IXOFF)
#define LFLAGS_SET 0
#define LFLAGS_CLEAR
(ISIG|ICANON|XCASE|ECHO|ECHOE|ECHOK|ECHONL|NOFLSH|TOSTOP|IEXTEN)
#define C_FLAGS_BI_HWFLOW_SET (CRTSCTS)  /*     For linux       */
/*#define C_FLAGS_BI_HWFLOW_SET ( RTSFLOW|CTSFLOW ) *//*        For SCO         */
#define C_FLAGS_BI_HWFLOW_CLEAR 0
#define O_FLAGS_BI_HWFLOW_SET 0
(*port_attributes).c_cflag = 0 ;
(*port_attributes).c_cflag |= CFLAGS_SET ;
(*port_attributes).c_cflag |= C_FLAGS_BI_HWFLOW_SET ;
(*port_attributes).c_iflag = 0 ;
(*port_attributes).c_iflag |= IFLAGS_SET ;
(*port_attributes).c_oflag = 0 ;
(*port_attributes).c_lflag = 0 ;

2. Mutiple Boot

3. Tape backup utilities: Banging my head agains the wall.

4. Newbie: NAT with 3 interfaces

5. *bang* *bang* - the sound of my head hitting the monitor

6. I need help: Word Processor

7. I am beating my head against a Brick wall - OpenSSH, OpenSSL and GNU software

8. How can I add new users w/ NIS?

9. help:modify kernel: console on serial port.(banging head against wall)

10. Banging my head on a NON FS problem

11. head-banging hard drive - any help?

12. banging head with x-win32 connection

13. Oy, my head hurts! - XF86Setup problems