Newbie basic questions... many questions

Newbie basic questions... many questions

Post by Frank Lope » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Here is a challenge:

I need to start using Linux for several reasons (too many to enumerate...).
I have never used Linux or Unix for that matter. Even the "language" used by
everyone describing steps or recommendations is foreign to me. I have
extensive knowledge of (cough, cough)  Windows 9X and NT but no Unix
experience of any kind.

So here are some of my questions:

1- Is there a good FAQ list that I could start with instead of pestering
everyone with my questions?

2- At the same time that I start with the FAQ, I would like to take a crack
at installing Linux. I've done some research and apparently all my hardware
is compatible (at least with RedHat). What is the best use of my dollars?
RedHat? Slackware? Or are there any others that I may want to look at? At
this stage I don't need the most powerful or the fastest implementation just
the easiest to install. Is there a site that compares the different
implementations?

3- Are there specialized FAQs for some of the more "arcane" subjects: for
example network or performance issues?

At this time I would rather be pointed to where these issues are addressed
instead of being told what to do ( not that I wouldn't welcome the answers
:-)

Thank You

ps: if I committed a "faux pass" by asking these questions in the wrong
newsgroup, please just point me to the correct one. Thanks

Post by Paul Kimo » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I need to start using Linux for several reasons (too many to enumerate...).
> I have never used Linux or Unix for that matter. Even the "language" used by
> everyone describing steps or recommendations is foreign to me. I have
> extensive knowledge of (cough, cough)  Windows 9X and NT but no Unix
> experience of any kind.

> So here are some of my questions:

> 1- Is there a good FAQ list that I could start with instead of pestering
> everyone with my questions?
> 3- Are there specialized FAQs for some of the more "arcane" subjects: for
> example network or performance issues?

Have you browsed around the Linux Documentation Project
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/ ?

Maybe you will need some general Unix resource(s).
I like the old-fashioned classic, Kernighan and Pike
1984, The UNIX programming environment (Englewood
Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice Hall), but perhaps someone else
will have some more new-fangled recommendations.

--

Post by ryan » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Here is a challenge:

> I need to start using Linux for several reasons (too many to enumerate...).
> I have never used Linux or Unix for that matter. Even the "language" used by
> everyone describing steps or recommendations is foreign to me. I have
> extensive knowledge of (cough, cough)  Windows 9X and NT but no Unix
> experience of any kind.

> So here are some of my questions:

> 1- Is there a good FAQ list that I could start with instead of pestering
> everyone with my questions?

I would check out:

Linux HOWTOS:
http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/

"Linux Installation and Getting Started":
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/LDP/gs/gs.html

Quote:> 2- At the same time that I start with the FAQ, I would like to take a crack
> at installing Linux. I've done some research and apparently all my hardware
> is compatible (at least with RedHat). What is the best use of my dollars?
> RedHat? Slackware? Or are there any others that I may want to look at? At
> this stage I don't need the most powerful or the fastest implementation just
> the easiest to install. Is there a site that compares the different
> implementations?

If you have already confirmed that RedHat is compatable with your setup, it
would be a fine choice.  There is a lot of documentation already and
furthermore a large user base.  I would have to also recommend Mandrake and
Caldera.  They are both slightly easier to install than RedHat.  In fact
Mandrake is just RedHat with some added programs and hacks (mostly to increase
security and user friendliness).  Caldera's OpenLinux is probably the easiest
in my opinion, and I see no reason why it wouldn't be compatable if RedHat is.
As far as the money goes, all of the mentioned distributions are free for
download.  If you want CD's (much easier and less time consuming), I know
LinuxMall (http://www.linuxmall.com) sells all these CDs (no manual) for $2.99.

Quote:

> 3- Are there specialized FAQs for some of the more "arcane" subjects: for
> example network or performance issues?

Yes, I would look at the sites mentioned above.
Quote:

Post by Larr » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Here is a challenge:

>I need to start using Linux for several reasons (too many to enumerate...).
>I have never used Linux or Unix for that matter. Even the "language" used by
>everyone describing steps or recommendations is foreign to me. I have
>extensive knowledge of (cough, cough)  Windows 9X and NT but no Unix
>experience of any kind.

>So here are some of my questions:

>1- Is there a good FAQ list that I could start with instead of pestering
>everyone with my questions?

>2- At the same time that I start with the FAQ, I would like to take a crack
>at installing Linux. I've done some research and apparently all my hardware
>is compatible (at least with RedHat). What is the best use of my dollars?
>RedHat? Slackware? Or are there any others that I may want to look at? At
>this stage I don't need the most powerful or the fastest implementation just
>the easiest to install. Is there a site that compares the different
>implementations?

>3- Are there specialized FAQs for some of the more "arcane" subjects: for
>example network or performance issues?

>At this time I would rather be pointed to where these issues are addressed
>instead of being told what to do ( not that I wouldn't welcome the answers
>:-)

>Thank You

>ps: if I committed a "faux pass" by asking these questions in the wrong
>newsgroup, please just point me to the correct one. Thanks

Do a search on the web for "linux documentation project" and you will get
more FAQS, HOWTO's, and DOCS than you'll be able to read in a year.

1. very basic basic newbie question

Hi, sorry to bug everyone with such a simple question...   are there any key
shortcuts in GNOME to help me navigate if the mouse doesn't respond..?

I'm brand new to Linux..   I'm trying to install RedHat 7 and having major
problems with X configuration.

1st time I got it working but the desktop was about 4x larger than the
screen..  tried different resolution but then desktop only took up half the
screen. I guess this is because I chose a monitor which was close to mine
(but not exact). I have a CTX 1569S and chose CTX 1565. (Video card is an
ATI 3d Xpression+). I have now found what I think are the H & V sync rates
and reconfigured it as custom but now the mouse does not work!!  It's a dual
boot config and the mouse still works in Win 95 so it ain't a hardware
fault. The GNOME desktop comes up correctly proportioned in the screen but
several of the apps open as well (such as help browser and what looks like a
file browser). The panel is autohide and I cannot get it to appear. I can't
close any of these windows down because Alt doesn't seem to activate the
menu items...

What is happening.....?

2. how do I know it is a winmodem or not?

3. Linux newbie w/basic questions

4. NT flows, Linux slows????

5. Really basic newbie question

6. SSH problem with Dlink DIR 655 Router Firmware version 1.21

7. *Very* basic Newbie question re:OS

8. NIS automount question

9. Basic Newbie Questions

10. BASIC newbie questions about how linux works

11. basic network newbie question

12. Basic newbie shell writer question

13. (Newbie) Basic Authentication Question