rpm database problems solved

Post by Peter Moo » Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:25:47

For the others who've had similar problems, thought I'd let you know, all you need to do is "downgrade" your
rpm.rpm package. I had installed rpm-4.0.  Looking on rpmfind.net, rpm-3.0.5-9.6x is the latest I can find for
i-386 now. Looks like the 4.0 version is available for power-pc?  You will probably need to use the --force and
--nodeps options. It will fight you a bit, but your database will be back, and the stupid "major number >3" issue
will be fixed. Just to be sure, I did a --rebuilddb afterward too, but I don't think it really did much...

Good luck,
Peter M.

1. Recovering the /var/lib/rpm RPM database?

Hey,

I lost my RPM database (the directory /var/lib/rpm). Don't ask me
how....

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to build a new one without
having to install all packages again. Maybe somebody wrote a tool that
compares SPEC files with existing files on your computer and updates the
database for you if the correct file are found??

cheers,

Edgar

--
Edgar Vonk

2. newbie needs help-gcc!

3. Incorporating RPM into RPM "database (depot?)"

4. Problems with Shutdown

5. RPM-database & non-rpm packages

6. dbx: Program terminated by signal trap

7. where to find rpm files to solve dependancy problems

8. cd rom attachment

9. Problem with Gnome RPM - Failed to open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

10. Redhat 5.0 Upgrade Problem: No RPM database exists!

11. R5 install problem; "Fatal Error Opening RPM Database"

12. Mandrake 6.0 -- rpm database problem

13. rpm database problem