GCC-i2.6.3 compiling (gcc with pentium optimiz's) PLEASE HELP US!!

GCC-i2.6.3 compiling (gcc with pentium optimiz's) PLEASE HELP US!!

Post by Wig » Fri, 14 Apr 1995 04:00:00

:>Has anyone managed to build GCC-i2.6.3 ?
:>
:>I've been playing around with it the last few days but I haven't gotten
:>it to work well.
:>
:>I'm running Linux 1.2.5 and I've got gcc-2.6.3, and I've gotten the
:>pentium version to compile, but it won't compile the kernel (or itself)
:>without ending on "internal compiler error"
:>
:>I unpacked it into a subdirectory under root, and ran configure. I
:>compiled it (make -- so it builds everything), and did stage2 and even
:>once a stage3 compile (with -O2 -mpentium options), and it creates xgcc.
:>
:>However, the resulting compiler doesn't work very well -- as I said, it
:>stops with the error I described.  (yes, cmp and bison are installed).
:>
:>---
:>
:>More to the point, is it worth it?   Is anyone here running a pentium
:>optimized kernel (or applications)?  If so, are they visibly faster
:>and are they stable?
:>
:>It's been said that the kernel won't compile with -O4 -mpentium, but
:>will -O3 work?
:>
:>Mark Orr

:>

Yes! I am having the *exact* same problem and I cannot for the life of me
figure out how to compile this new damn compiler.

If any compiler gurus out there know what the heck Mark and I are doing
wrong when compiling this i2.6.3 I would really appreciate it if you would
post the answers here as I think most of us pentium owners would be
interested in moving up to gcc-i2.6.3. (NOTICE: *i*2.6.3 it is *not* the
same compiler that comes with slackware 2.2.0 as I have gotten a lot of
people responding to my previous post on the subject saying to just get
that).

I have a pentium 100 and I would just love to go on an i2.6.3 compiling
binge and recompile everything I have to run faster :-)

Thanks for you help anybody and sorry I don't have an answer for you
Mark... we're in the same boat with no oars... or a compiler.

BTW shouldn't the i2.6.3 compiler Makefile use "gcc" to make the new stuff
instead of "cc"? What's the difference between the two when cc is really
just a link to gcc and why won't "gcc" make the new compiler?? (it just
dies on _multi in libgcc.a or something like that)?

- Jeff Wiegley

GCC-i2.6.3 compiling (gcc with pentium optimiz's) PLEASE HELP US!!

Post by cha.. » Mon, 17 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

I managed to get gcc-i2.6.3 compiled but I only have a 486DX2 so I can't
say anything about the pentium optimizations. However, I did encounter
two problems which you may want to check out.

First of all, the version.c file causes the compiler to produce a value
of "i2" for the built-in macro __GNUC__ (i.e., the gcc major version number).
This value breaks all header files that check for "#if __GNUC__ < 2" (this
will actually test TRUE!!!). I had to change the version number in version.c
to "2.6.3i" in order to get the libc-4.6.27 sources to compile.

The second thing that I noticed is that "internal compiler errors" can
occur depending upon the use of certain optimization options. I've had
problems with -funroll-loops.

So as a suggestion, try checking your header files and your use of the
compiler optimization flags.

Cheers.

                                        Lawrence

Post by Henrik Johanss » Sat, 22 Apr 1995 04:00:00

[...]

I also got that problem when i used the compiler that came with slackware
2.2.
But i have comiled both 2.5.8 and 2.6.3 with my old compiler before i
installed the new slackware.
so i think the problem is the gcc that comes with slackware 2.2.
I will test to install 2.5.8 and then install 2.6.3 and se if it works.

Henrik Johansson

1. GCC-i2.6.3 (gcc with pentium optimizations)

Has anyone managed to build GCC-i2.6.3 ?

I've been playing around with it the last few days but I haven't gotten
it to work well.

I'm running Linux 1.2.5 and I've got gcc-2.6.3, and I've gotten the
pentium version to compile, but it won't compile the kernel (or itself)
without ending on "internal compiler error"

I unpacked it into a subdirectory under root, and ran configure. I
compiled it (make -- so it builds everything), and did stage2 and even
once a stage3 compile (with -O2 -mpentium options), and it creates xgcc.

However, the resulting compiler doesn't work very well -- as I said, it
stops with the error I described.  (yes, cmp and bison are installed).

---

More to the point, is it worth it?   Is anyone here running a pentium
optimized kernel (or applications)?  If so, are they visibly faster
and are they stable?

It's been said that the kernel won't compile with -O4 -mpentium, but
will -O3 work?

Mark Orr

2. SVGALIB help !

3. How alpha are gcc-i2.5.8/i2.6.3?

4. Sorry: I had to try it!

5. Would somebody please compile gcc/g++-i2.6.3??

6. What graphics card works well with Linux ?

7. SIGSEGV building kernel with gcc i2.6.3 (Pentium enhanced version)

8. Mirroring Rootvg and not enough PP's

9. (Q) Why no docs with gcc-i2.6.3 ?

10. gcc-i2.6.3 and signal 11

11. What is gcc-i2.6.3 ?