Boot Disk, Rescue Disk, Start-up

Post by c1tr1c 4c1 » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:38:39

Dear All,

I got a bit confused about the term Boot Disk, Rescue Disk, Start-up

Disk, What is the specific use of them? and How to make one?

Sorry for this silly question.

thx

Boot Disk, Rescue Disk, Start-up

Post by Davide Bianch » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:48:31

Quote:> I got a bit confused about the term Boot Disk,
> Rescue Disk, Start-up Disk, What is the specific
> use of them? and How to make one?

The Boot Disk is a disk used to boot the machine
in "normal way", a Rescue Disk is a boot disk, that
contains all the stuff you can use to rescue a
damage installation (fdisk, fsck, whatever), a StartUp
disk is usually used to start a new installation,
so it contains an auto-start procedure that will
install Linux on the machine.

How to make one? Read the bootdisk-HOWTO on
www.linuxdoc.org

Davide

Post by Swif » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:55:09

>  I got a bit confused about the term Boot Disk, Rescue Disk, Start-up
>  Disk, What is the specific use of them? and How to make one?

Bootdisk :      Boots your current system with it's own kernel.
                Best used when you are unable to boot your system because
                LILO (or any other bootloader) doesn't present Linux anymore.
Rescuedisk :    Boots an own Linux-system (a minisystem) which has some
                tools that can be used to recover from crashes, alter
                configuration-files, format partitions etc...
                Best used when you have f*cked up your system, don't want to
                install the whole thing again and haven't made any backups.
Startupdisk :   Probably similar to bootdisk, although it's (based on the
                context used) frequently the name one gives to the
                installationdisks of a distribution (the first disk that
                starts the installation).
                If this is the case, best used when you are unable to boot
                from the installation-cd and thus need a startupdisk in
                order to install the distribution.

--
  SwifT
  |- LUG : http://www.lugwv.be

Post by Dowe Kell » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 02:01:10

>Dear All,

>I got a bit confused about the term Boot Disk, Rescue Disk, Start-up

>Disk, What is the specific use of them? and How to make one?

Boot Disk = The disk you use to boot your Linux system, This is
basically just an alternative to LILO/GRUB.  Its good to have in case
your MBR gets screwed.

Rescue Disk = A disk (or set of disks) with a kernel, small
filesystem, and the necisary tools to repair a Linux installation.
Very good to have in case of unforseen emergencies.

Startup Disk = No clue man,  Sounds like it may be a synonym for Boot
Disk, but I've never heard the term used.

Most of these you can find on your Linux Distro's CD-ROM,  There's a
HOWTO on rolling your own rescue disk, but you can download these off
of the net too.

As for installing images on floppy:

# dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0

works for me, but don't take my word for it, "man dd" instead (there's
lots of options).

Quote:>Sorry for this silly question.

There's no such thing as a silly question, only bogus answers.

--

                                Project : http://freshmeat.net/projects/vsh