HAYES ACCURA 56K modem or white elephant ????

HAYES ACCURA 56K modem or white elephant ????

Post by Sid Boyc » Thu, 28 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Fished one of these up today, couldn't see a 16550 chip on it, the
verbiage is all about windoze 95 and just mentioned setup under 3.x, did
the isapnp stuff on it, but setserial says unknown UART ---
/bin/setserial /dev/modem irq 7 autoconfig spd_vhi, the same as for this
28K8 one.
        Is this one I should throw back into the river ?
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(UK)...44-121 422 0375
                   -----------------------------------

HAYES ACCURA 56K modem or white elephant ????

Post by Johan Kullsta » Fri, 29 Aug 1997 04:00:00

SB: Fished one of these up today, couldn't see a 16550 chip on it, the
SB: verbiage is all about windoze 95 and just mentioned setup under 3.x, did
SB: the isapnp stuff on it, but setserial says unknown UART ---
SB: /bin/setserial /dev/modem irq 7 autoconfig spd_vhi, the same as for this
SB: 28K8 one.
SB:     Is this one I should throw back into the river ?

get an *external* modem.  check the newgroups.  no one ever posts
about having problems with them.

some advantages:
1) no pnp.
2) no jumpers.
3) no irq settings.
4) no winmodems.
5) compatible with *anything* having an rs-232c port.
6) can be power-cycled (or even replaced) w/o turning off the host.
7) no unscrewing the case.
8) doesn't occupy any motherboard slots.

disadvantages:
1) cost is about $30 more (when you add in a $10 serial cable).
2) takes up a physical serial port (of which there are too few).

imho the advantages *far* outweigh the disadvantages.

SB: Regards
SB: --
SB: ... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(UK)...44-121 422 0375
SB:                    -----------------------------------
SB: Any opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily represent
SB:  the opinions or policies of Amdahl Corporation.

--

Post by Sid Boyc » Sat, 30 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> some advantages:
> 1) no pnp.
> 2) no jumpers.
> 3) no irq settings.
> 4) no winmodems.
> 5) compatible with *anything* having an rs-232c port.
> 6) can be power-cycled (or even replaced) w/o turning off the host.
> 7) no unscrewing the case.
> 8) doesn't occupy any motherboard slots.

> disadvantages:
> 1) cost is about $30 more (when you add in a $10 serial cable).
> 2) takes up a physical serial port (of which there are too few).

> imho the advantages *far* outweigh the disadvantages.
> --

        Agreed, it's a modem supplied from work as a replacement for my 28K8
one. I found one posting where someone seemed to say he had his working,
so I'll email him for more info. Theproblem seems to be with the UART or
its emulation, I tried "uart none" and also disabling autocaonfig in the
BIOS, but the result is the same.
        If that fails, I'll consider an outboard modem or another that has a
16500A on it.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(UK)...44-121 422 0375
                   -----------------------------------
Any opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily represent
 the opinions or policies of Amdahl Corporation.

HAYES ACCURA 56K modem or white elephant ????

Post by Sam Seibe » Sat, 30 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Fully agree with what Johan said.  If you want modem
headaches, get an internal.  One other ADVANGE to
external modems:

1) Has lights, so you can _see_ what is going on!

--
Sam Seiber

HAYES ACCURA 56K modem or white elephant ????

Post by pavanas abludo incus » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

On Sun, 31 Aug 1997 16:34:47 GMT,

>> Fully agree with what Johan said.  If you want modem
>> headaches, get an internal.  One other ADVANGE to
>> external modems:

>> 1) Has lights, so you can _see_ what is going on!

>> --
>> Sam Seiber
>    Point taken, I'm sure you are right, but I'm not giving up just yet,
>when I do finally admit defeat, I'll get the company to buy me an
>outboard one instead. The one I'm using here is a 28K8 internal, but I
>want to upgrade.
>    On the point of lights, there are programs that just do that.
>Regards

Yes, but there is a fine line between the timeliness of the info provided.
I have some sort of a generic external modem that has 15 lights in two
colours. At a glance I can see my connection going down before it actually
does as well as note the relative responsiveness of various feeds.

And lest this has not been said, when for whatever reason the modem is
tied in knots the one thing that can be done with an external that cannot
be done with an internal is to close the power to the modem alone and
cleanly reset it without the need to reboot or power down you box.

Quote:>--
>... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(UK)...44-121 422 0375
>                   -----------------------------------
>Any opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily represent
> the opinions or policies of Amdahl Corporation.

cheers

--
IHS
pavanas

Post by Sid Boyc » Thu, 04 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Yes, but there is a fine line between the timeliness of the info provided.
> I have some sort of a generic external modem that has 15 lights in two
> colours. At a glance I can see my connection going down before it actually
> does as well as note the relative responsiveness of various feeds.

> And lest this has not been said, when for whatever reason the modem is
> tied in knots the one thing that can be done with an external that cannot
> be done with an internal is to close the power to the modem alone and
> cleanly reset it without the need to reboot or power down you box.

> IHS
> pavanas

        I've never had to do a reboot because of a problem with an internal
modem, once the things are serviceable and work, you can forget about
them as you soon know if your ISP is down or has some other fault which
can be confirmed by a short phone call.
        I don't know if it's because of isapnp being run on it, but I've tried
it out on windoze 3.11 and I get port busy, the utility there monitors
traffic to the modem and I get the message after ATZ.
        All I can suppose is there is a fault that causes it to load down the
other ports, if I select COM3, it stops the mouse on COM1 from working,
ditto for COM4, if I turn the COM ports off, it still doesn't work.
        If I fail to get a replacement to work, subject of a phone call
tonight, then I'll certainly ask them to buy me an external one, but not
so I can watch the lights.
Regards