Win 95, Linux and Win NT 4.0 boot

Post by SAM KUMARSAM » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

 Hi Linux gurus:

I have installed Win 95 and Linux Slackware 1.2.8 on my hard drive (C).
I haven't installed LILO and I don't want to.   I boot Linux with a
floppy disk.

Recently I installed another hard drive (D) and I want to use this
exclusively for WinNT 4.0 server (NTFS filesystem).

Now I was told that I could use the WinNT OS loader to choose between
Win 95 and WinNT operating systems.  I was also told that I could
continue to boot Linux with a floopy.

Could anyone tell me if this is possible and if true I would appreciate
any details. Remember that Win 95 and Linux is on C drive and WinNT 4.0
is on D drive.

Thanx in advance.

Sam

Win 95, Linux and Win NT 4.0 boot

Post by Marie Jewe » Sun, 23 Feb 1997 04:00:00

There is easyier : Use BootPart.

With BootPart, you add Linux in the Windows NT Boot. You'll select Between
Win95, WinNT and Linux in the Windows NT boot loader Menu

You only run a command under Windows NT to add the Linux boot.

You can visit the BootPart home page at
http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm
and download it at ftp://ftp.winimage.com/bootpa20.zip (only 20215 bytes).

Post by John C. Grig » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> ------------7E50159138B50

>  Hi Linux gurus:

> I have installed Win 95 and Linux Slackware 1.2.8 on my hard drive (C).
> I haven't installed LILO and I don't want to.   I boot Linux with a
> floppy disk.

> Recently I installed another hard drive (D) and I want to use this
> exclusively for WinNT 4.0 server (NTFS filesystem).

> Now I was told that I could use the WinNT OS loader to choose between
> Win 95 and WinNT operating systems.  I was also told that I could
> continue to boot Linux with a floopy.

> Could anyone tell me if this is possible and if true I would appreciate
> any details. Remember that Win 95 and Linux is on C drive and WinNT 4.0
> is on D drive.

> Thanx in advance.

> Sam

You should have no problem with this arrangement.  The NT installer will
"do the right thing" with the Win95 boot sector, etc and will provide you
with a menu for selecting between NT and '95 when you boot from your Hard
disk.  All of this should have no effect on booting Linux from diskette.

I used exactly the same setup until I broke down and added Linux to the NT
boot menu using BOOTPART.

Cheerz,
        Jawn

--

"I have an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one."