Kernel Tunables

Post by Christopher Paluc » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I am running RedHat 5.2 and I have a couple of questions:

1) I just upgraded to the 2.5.5 kernel.  Now when I try to run the
Kernel Daemon Configuration from under gnome, I get the error message
/boot/module-info.2.2.5 not found.  How does one get that file created??

2) I've installed Informix on my linux box.  Informix's release notes
make recommendations about system tunables for semaphores and shared
memory.  How does one check the current values and modify them under
Linux?

Thanks,
    Christopher Paluch

Kernel Tunables

Post by Christopher Paluc » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I am running RedHat 5.2 and I have a couple of questions:

1) I just upgraded to the 2.5.5 kernel.  Now when I try to run the
Kernel Daemon Configuration from under gnome, I get the error message
/boot/module-info.2.2.5 not found.  How does one get that file created??

2) I've installed Informix on my linux box.  Informix's release notes
make recommendations about system tunables for semaphores and shared
memory.  How does one check the current values and modify them under
Linux?

Thanks,
    Christopher Paluch

Kernel Tunables

Post by Matthias Wark » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

It was the Mon, 19 Apr 1999 12:02:08 -0500...

Quote:> I am running RedHat 5.2 and I have a couple of questions:

> 1) I just upgraded to the 2.5.5 kernel.  Now when I try to run the
> Kernel Daemon Configuration from under gnome, I get the error message
> /boot/module-info.2.2.5 not found.  How does one get that file created??

Hm. Did you do "make modules" and "make modules_install" when you
upgraded the kernel?

Quote:> 2) I've installed Informix on my linux box.  Informix's release notes
> make recommendations about system tunables for semaphores and shared
> memory.  How does one check the current values and modify them under
> Linux?

"make menuconfig" in /usr/src/linux. Then rebuild the kernel.

But always remember: you can tune a kernel, but you can't tunafish.

mawa
--
And when people are thinking, we may have reason to hope.
                                                         -- Dan Mocsny

Kernel Tunables

Post by Christopher Paluc » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

1) Yes, I did run the two commands.  Did they create a file somewhere that I'm
supposed to copy to /boot directory.
2) I ran "make xconfig", but I don't remember seeing any place to change
tunables such as SHMMAX or SHMMNI.

> It was the Mon, 19 Apr 1999 12:02:08 -0500...

> > I am running RedHat 5.2 and I have a couple of questions:

> > 1) I just upgraded to the 2.5.5 kernel.  Now when I try to run the
> > Kernel Daemon Configuration from under gnome, I get the error message
> > /boot/module-info.2.2.5 not found.  How does one get that file created??

> Hm. Did you do "make modules" and "make modules_install" when you
> upgraded the kernel?

> > 2) I've installed Informix on my linux box.  Informix's release notes
> > make recommendations about system tunables for semaphores and shared
> > memory.  How does one check the current values and modify them under
> > Linux?

> "make menuconfig" in /usr/src/linux. Then rebuild the kernel.

> But always remember: you can tune a kernel, but you can't tunafish.

> mawa
> --
> And when people are thinking, we may have reason to hope.
>                                                          -- Dan Mocsny

Kernel Tunables

Post by Matthias Wark » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

It was the Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:24:53 -0500...

Quote:> 1) Yes, I did run the two commands.  Did they create a file somewhere that I'm
> supposed to copy to /boot directory.

As far as I can see, you're trying to configure kerneld on a 2.2.x
kernel system. Tough - 2.2.x doesn't use kerneld anymore. Finito. It's
been replaced by a built-in module loader.

Quote:> 2) I ran "make xconfig", but I don't remember seeing any place to change
> tunables such as SHMMAX or SHMMNI.

Ahh, you're looking for that kind of thing. Now wait a minute... I
don't know where it is in the kernel sources, but you can read and set
SHMMAX by reading or writing into /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax.

mawa
--
We wanted leaders, but we got stooges.
  -- Kanji Ram, leader of the untouchable's political revolt in India.

1. Linux Kernel Tunables

I am running RedHat 5.2 and I have a couple of questions:

1) I just upgraded to the 2.5.5 kernel.  Now when I try to run the
Kernel Daemon Configuration from under gnome, I get the error message
/boot/module-info.2.2.5 not found.  How does one get that file created??

2) I've installed Informix on my linux box.  Informix's release notes
make recommendations about system tunables for semaphores and shared
memory.  How does one check the current values and modify them under
Linux?

Thanks.

2. Gillingham, Kent - Linux Experts?

3. Solaris 10 / Kernel Tunables / Storage HBA's / Storage Arrays

4. Netatalk on RH 5.1

5. how to check values of kernel tunables

6. KDE doesn't work => KFM not running/ not ready HELP!!!

7. kernel tunable parameters

8. kernel 2.10. system hangup

9. Kernel Tunable Parameters

10. Per-Process kernel tunables

11. Kernel tunable parameters on Solaris 2.6

12. Kernel Tunables

13. Tunable - Is there a tunable for the maximum amount of memory per user or application?