Starting X @ boot?

Post by Sid Thoma » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

To all you helpful Linux people:

  I have searched far and wide through Linux docs, man pages, init
scripts, etc..... I can manipulate the 'startx' and 'xinit' commands by
terminal until my heart is content. (and works just fine)

  My problem is:  It wont start automatically.

  My machine boots to a bash prompt in runlevel 5. It used to boot to
the RedHat login screen. (6.0 that is). As I sort have mentioned, I can

from the login screen.

  I know that I've done something to cause this and cannot figure out
what it is. I've configured sound by 'sndconf', installed Blackdown's
JDK, upgraded Netscape, and changed a few permissions for user to access
pppd and some other things.

  Where can I learn more about system startup and initalization process?
I've read the How To's and related man pages.

Thank you for your time,
Sid Thomas

Starting X @ boot?

Post by sfcyb.. » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

The program that runs at startup is /usr/bin/gdm -nodaemon

try to run this command rather than `startx` and see what errors you may
get.

You may try looking through the /var/log/messages files for error
messages from gdb

> To all you helpful Linux people:

>   I have searched far and wide through Linux docs, man pages, init
> scripts, etc..... I can manipulate the 'startx' and 'xinit' commands
by
> terminal until my heart is content. (and works just fine)

>   My problem is:  It wont start automatically.

>   My machine boots to a bash prompt in runlevel 5. It used to boot to
> the RedHat login screen. (6.0 that is). As I sort have mentioned, I
can

> from the login screen.

>   I know that I've done something to cause this and cannot figure out
> what it is. I've configured sound by 'sndconf', installed Blackdown's
> JDK, upgraded Netscape, and changed a few permissions for user to
access
> pppd and some other things.

>   Where can I learn more about system startup and initalization
process?
> I've read the How To's and related man pages.

> Thank you for your time,
> Sid Thomas

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Starting X @ boot?

Post by William Shott » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

[...]

First, make sure that your assumption about being in run level 5 is
correct by checking /etc/inittab.  While your are there, look at the
bottom of the file where it launches xdm (or its equivalent).

Next, take a look at the contents of /etc/X11/xdm and trace through the
scripts and config files.  I think you will be able to find it from there.

--

Starting X @ boot?

Post by Am » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>  My machine boots to a bash prompt in runlevel 5. It used to boot to
>the RedHat login screen. (6.0 that is). As I sort have mentioned, I can

>from the login screen.

First of all, are you sure it's at runlevel 5?  Runlevel 5 is the X11
runlevel. It sounds like you are at runlevel 3. To check this, do
this.:

Edit your /etc/inittab file, pico is always a good choice.
type: pico /etc/inittab

Replace this line:

id:3:initdefault:

With this one:

id:5:initdefault:

Save your changes, and reboot the machine.

Now, if that doesn't work, something else is going on. My main problem
at first wasn't getting TO boot right into X, it was stopping it FROM
doing that. I love my command line  :-D BTW, Red Hat has a 6.0
support section, it has alot of good information. If you go to
support, there is a link to RH6.0 help files.

Amy

Starting X @ boot?

Post by Comanch » Mon, 17 Jul 2000 04:00:00

First you have to check /etc/inittab. Is the initdefault set to 5?
If yes, you can check the file  /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.
In this file the following sentence must be there:
":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X" (without the quotes).

With kind regards,

Comanche

> >  My machine boots to a bash prompt in runlevel 5. It used to boot to
> >the RedHat login screen. (6.0 that is). As I sort have mentioned, I can

> >from the login screen.

> First of all, are you sure it's at runlevel 5?  Runlevel 5 is the X11
> runlevel. It sounds like you are at runlevel 3. To check this, do
> this.:

> Edit your /etc/inittab file, pico is always a good choice.
> type: pico /etc/inittab

> Replace this line:

> id:3:initdefault:

> With this one:

> id:5:initdefault:

> Save your changes, and reboot the machine.

> Now, if that doesn't work, something else is going on. My main problem
> at first wasn't getting TO boot right into X, it was stopping it FROM
> doing that. I love my command line  :-D BTW, Red Hat has a 6.0
> support section, it has alot of good information. If you go to
> support, there is a link to RH6.0 help files.

> Amy

Starting X @ boot?

Post by Be » Mon, 17 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I've been wondering about getting X to start at boot too - only thing
that worries is me is that when I first installed my system I couldn't
seem to login from a graphical login - just said 'user unknown'. I get
the same trying to do a 'login' from a terminal window as well,
although su works ok. It doesn't really bother me, but I'd be
interested to know why it's happening, if there's a quick answer. Suse
6.3, btw.

Starting X @ boot?

Post by Sid Thoma » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> First you have to check /etc/inittab. Is the initdefault set to 5?
> If yes, you can check the file  /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.
> In this file the following sentence must be there:
> ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X" (without the quotes).

> With kind regards,

> Comanche

> >   My machine boots to a bash prompt in runlevel 5. It used to boot to
> > the RedHat login screen. (6.0 that is). As I sort have mentioned, I can

> > from the login screen.

Thank you for your response Comanche.

I have checked both items as per your instruction and they are fine. I also
checked the symbolic link /usr/X11R6/bin/X and found that it points to a file
called  XF86_Mach64. This file does not exist on my machine.

I was fortunate enough to see the same file (X) on another machine and it
pointed to XF86_SVGA. So I changed it on mine.

Now..... X comes up to a grayish screen with an X cursor that I can control
with my mouse, nothing else. (Please forgive me for I have seen that thread
before but only skimmed through it).

I have done some more reading on starting X (manually and automatically) and
found what I believe to be a problem with 'xdm'. I did a 'man xdm' and found
a heck of a lot more than I need to know. Here is a recap of my problem:

From a standard boot (X automatically):  grayish screen.

Boot to runlevel 3, type '/sbin/telinit 5' (as per Red Hat manual to test
xdm):  grayish screen

Boot to runlevel 3, type 'startx':  Everything OK, just as I left it.

btw:  I have reran Xconfigurator hoping it would correct the links but it did
not.

Thank you for your time,
Sid Thomas

Starting X @ boot?

Post by Jeff Howar » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

You sound very desparate for help so I'll put in my 2 cents worth --btw,
already downed 4 brews ;-)
First, a quick lesson on how your linux system boots.... When your machine
boots into linux, system checks are made, hardware configured, blah, blah,
blah.  But most important, the system looks for the file /etc/inittab.  This
is a very important file because it starts all your services and daemons
(including X).  If this file is not present, the system won't boot.  End of
lesson (I hope you now realize how important this file is).

From what I've read so far, I'm going to go through the process of
elimination.
1.  You said you used to be able to boot into X, but then one day it didn't.
--This tells me that /etc/inittab file was somehow modified.
2.   You say you modified the /etc/inittab line to  id:5:initdefault:  so
that it boots to runlevel 5 but you still get a terminal log in screen.
-- This tells me that /etc/inittab file has something missing
3.  You say that when you login, and you type startx that all is well.
-- This tells me that /etc/inittab file may have a line missing.

Yes, the other people gave you the correct advice about the the line in
/etc/inittab that reads...
id:5:initdefault
to boot into runlevel 5.
Make sure the very last line of /etc/inittab file looks like this...
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

If this don't work, you have a corrupt system and should reinstall.
cul8er, Jeff

P.S. why on earth did you change your video driver, when it was already
working???  Most ATI boards use the Mach64 chipset , not SVGA

1. kde wont start on boot, will start on reboot

I am setting up an x terminal using kdm as the display manager.

The strange thing is that when the system first boots up
(application server and x terminal) the login screen will
not come up on the terminal. X just keeps recycling.

But if I reboot the terminal the login screen comes rightup.

It seems like some kind of permission problem. But I don't
know what else I need to configure.

Any ideas what might cause this?

2. SVR4 ELF access library question... (ELF-specific)

3. RH9: I need to start ADSL-START as root for the first time after boot ....

4. 0821-515 ifconfig: error loading /usr/lib/drivers/if_/=.q/=.|/=.?/=.?/

5. "Starting lpd..." failure at boot/start-up

6. mailing

7. X-server unable to get started - but it's set to start on boot!

8. DOOM for Linux problem - help.

9. Can subsystem start with startsrc be started at boot time?

10. Starts x86 boot from AHA2940UW disk then says no boot disk

11. XWindows starts and starts and starts!!!

12. How to start X11 when booting the kernel ?

13. Starting NTP daemon at boot time: how?