Using the dos version of dd...

Post by Little Pau » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've gone and got myself a copy of unix95.zip which contains dd.exe
which is essentially dd for dos.

I would like to use it for making floppy images for easier distribution
of boot disks at work, however as I dont (officially) have a linux
box at work I'm stuck using dos.

In linux I would normally use
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.img
to create an image file

and
dd if=floppy.img of=/dev/fd0

to write it back to a floppy.  However this doesn't work with the dos
version as dos doesn't know anything about /dev/fd0...
if=a:
if=a:\
if="a:"
if="a:\"

All fail to work (Permission denied errors) - so can anyone think of
a way arround this?  (Unfortunately I need to use the dos version as
out PC technicians need to be able to run a dos batchfile to create
a new image or to write one to a floppy.  And no, putting linux on
all our machines is *not* an option! <grin> I'm having a hard
enough time persuading management to let me have a linux box to
evaluate! )

Any help you can give would be much appreciated, however unfortunately
I don't have much in the way of newsgroup access at the moment, so

net)

Ta muchly in advance...

--
The Little Paul with the Big Kitbag

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Using the dos version of dd...

Post by Martin Herrm » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I've gone and got myself a copy of unix95.zip which contains dd.exe
> which is essentially dd for dos.

huh? I thought 'rawrite' was the dos version of 'dd'..

--
Linux Gebruikers Handleiding v1.2 : http://2mypage.cjb.net
Linux RedHat 6.1 Kernel 2.2.17  Toshiba P233 MHz, 32 Mb RAM

Using the dos version of dd...

Post by Little Pau » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > I've gone and got myself a copy of unix95.zip which contains dd.exe
> > which is essentially dd for dos.

> huh? I thought 'rawrite' was the dos version of 'dd'..

AFAIK rawrite writes images to disk, but I also need to be able to
create the images in dos in the first place.  If rawrite can do this
can someone please tell me how!

--
The Little Paul with the Big Kitbag

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Using the dos version of dd...

Post by J.Smit » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hhmmm...

Well how about if=\dev\fd0 ? (with the slashes the other way around?)

But how about WinImage? It lets you create/write floppy disk images. Check
out

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/winimage.htm

> I've gone and got myself a copy of unix95.zip which contains dd.exe
> which is essentially dd for dos.

> I would like to use it for making floppy images for easier distribution
> of boot disks at work, however as I dont (officially) have a linux
> box at work I'm stuck using dos.

> In linux I would normally use
> dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.img
> to create an image file

> and
> dd if=floppy.img of=/dev/fd0

> to write it back to a floppy.  However this doesn't work with the dos
> version as dos doesn't know anything about /dev/fd0...
> if=a:
> if=a:\
> if="a:"
> if="a:\"

> All fail to work (Permission denied errors) - so can anyone think of
> a way arround this?  (Unfortunately I need to use the dos version as
> out PC technicians need to be able to run a dos batchfile to create
> a new image or to write one to a floppy.  And no, putting linux on
> all our machines is *not* an option! <grin> I'm having a hard
> enough time persuading management to let me have a linux box to
> evaluate! )

> Any help you can give would be much appreciated, however unfortunately
> I don't have much in the way of newsgroup access at the moment, so

> net)

> Ta muchly in advance...

> --
> The Little Paul with the Big Kitbag

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Using the dos version of dd...

Post by Joe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > > I've gone and got myself a copy of unix95.zip which contains dd.exe
> > > which is essentially dd for dos.

> > huh? I thought 'rawrite' was the dos version of 'dd'..

> AFAIK rawrite writes images to disk, but I also need to be able to
> create the images in dos in the first place.  If rawrite can do this
> can someone please tell me how!

> --
> The Little Paul with the Big Kitbag

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Use WinImage to create floppy images of all different sizes.
http://www.winimage.com/  The program is shareware but if you really need
to create images on Win 9.x or NT/2000 it is worth the cost.

Using the dos version of dd...

Post by Spiceru » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I've gone and got myself a copy of unix95.zip which contains dd.exe
> which is essentially dd for dos.

> I would like to use it for making floppy images for easier distribution
> of boot disks at work, however as I dont (officially) have a linux
> box at work I'm stuck using dos.

> In linux I would normally use
> dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.img
> to create an image file

> and
> dd if=floppy.img of=/dev/fd0

> to write it back to a floppy.  However this doesn't work with the dos
> version as dos doesn't know anything about /dev/fd0...
> if=a:
> if=a:\
> if="a:"
> if="a:\"

Try dd if=floppy.img of=//a

I'm thinking that if Unix95 interprets like Cygwin tools does (Cygnus'
free Unix tools for Windows with a bash shell and gcc), then the a: would
translate to //a.

1. Using dd copy image file to make a DOS bootable disk

We are downloading from the web to linux an image file that contains
DOS boot files as well as some other files.  We'd like to use dd to
convert the file to a floppy to make the floppy a DOS bootable disk.

Is this event possible?

dd seems to expand the image file correctly, but the floppy is not
bootable and cannot be accessed by anything other than linux.

Here's the steps we've taken:

1) mkfs.msdos /dev/fd0
2) dd if=disk1.img of=/mnt/floppy

An ls on /mnt/floppy shows all of the exploded files but the floppy
cannot be used to reboot.

OR, is there a way to make a dos bootable disk from linux?
HELP??!!?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. How detect a failure in ethernet I/F?

3. dd of DOS MBR wanted (to boot dos on hdb)

4. X includes

5. Need DOS port of UNIX "dd" command.

6. Support for scanner parallel interface

7. dd utility for dos

8. HELP out of memory???

9. which xntp (solaris version or the latest version) should be used

10. Changing all date fields from mm/dd/yy to dd/mm/yy

11. dd | remsh dd under AIX 1.2

12. dd command: extract single files out of a dd-file

13. To dd or not to dd that is the question!