running xwindow on a NEC Versa LX laptop

running xwindow on a NEC Versa LX laptop

Post by Marc Delar » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I am trying to run Xwindow on a NEC Versa LX laptop computer, under
Debian Linux.
I am supposed to have an SVGA screen (800x600) with a chipset named ATI
Rage-LT Pro.
The only way I can make it (slightly work) is by creating the link
ln -s XF86_SVGA X
in /usr/X11R6/bin
and then configuring by XF86Setup;
Mouse and keyboard configuration processes went fine,
and I had to choose the SVGA option in the card menu;
The system then tried to start xinit; immediately after this, I could see a
blind region in the screen (in the middle).

Otherwise, there was indeed an xwindow in the screen.
The file /etc/X11/XF86Config turned out to be  wrong concerning
the number of lines and columns of the screen, even though I chose
the right option in the menu; it seems it was not retained...

I was told that I should use XF86_mach64 since this is the correct one
for ATI cards, and to choose the Mach64 option in the card menu;
but if I do this the screen goes blank when I try to run
xinit or startx and I have to reboot the system...
I tried different combinations, with not much success...

Does anyone has a file XF86Config that works on a Nec Versa LX ?
Or can anyone tell me what to do?

Thanking you for your help,

Marc DELARUE

~

Post by Mark Basha » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I am trying to run Xwindow on a NEC Versa LX laptop computer, under
> Debian Linux.

Marc,
Check out the Linux on Laptops page at Linux.org:

http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html

It has links to three different NEC laptop pages and specifically, running X on
laptops that may give you the info you need.  I'm using an older VersaM and the
Versa page on Linux.org helped quite a bit.

Mark Bashaw

1. xwindow on NEC versa LX

Hello,

I am trying to run Xwindow on a NEC Versa LX laptop computer, under
Debian Linux.
I am supposed to have an SVGA screen (800x600) with a chipset named ATI
Rage-LT Pro.
The only way I can make it (slightly) work is by creating the link
ln -s XF86_SVGA X
in /usr/X11R6/bin
and then configuring by XF86Setup; everything went fine, and I had to choose
SVGA in the card menu; Things start more or less correctly,
but then the file /etc/X11/XF86Config is wrong concerning
the number of lines and columns of the screen, even though I chose
the right option in the menu; it seems it was not retained...
Running xinit, there is a blind region in the screen (in the middle).

I was told that I should use XF86_mach64 since this is the correct one
for ATI cards, plus choose the option Mach64 in the card menu
but if I do this the screen goes blank when I try to run
xinit or startx and I have to reboot the system...

Does anyone has a file XF86Config that works on a Nec Versa LX ?
Or can anyone tell me what to do?

Thanking you for your help,

Marc DELARUE

2. Compilation error with ifstream on Solaris v7/Sun Workshop 5.0

3. linux on NEC Versa LX laptop?

4. [REDHAT 5.0] This is about maintaing a ppp connection (i can get one no problem but plz read below)

5. Running X on a NEC Versa SX laptop

6. Help regarding X windows

7. Anyone running X on a NEC Versa 2655CDT laptop?

8. linux start

9. NEC Versa LX, X server setup problems

10. Trying to install linux on NEC Versa LX notebook - cardbus doesn't work??

11. Xfree 86 with Redhat 5.1 on NEC Versa LX

12. Linux and NEC Versa LX

13. NEC Versa LX - PCMCIA hangs machine