how to import outlook mail into netscape mail?

how to import outlook mail into netscape mail?

Post by Jonas Bier » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

does anybody know if and how i can import outlook express 5.0 mails into
linux netscape messenger 4.73?

thanx!
jonas

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

: does anybody know if and how i can import outlook express 5.0 mails into

Mmm .. maybe convert them into standard mail format and then just let
netscape read them as normal?

: linux netscape messenger 4.73?

I suspect that your question should be to the outlook newsgroups "how
can I export mail in standard mail folder format"? I have no idea what
outlooks native format is. If it's text you may have some luck with
"formail" on unix to reformat it properly. If it's a binary database,
you need to attack it with a chisel and forceps.

Peter

Post by nos.. » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>: does anybody know if and how i can import outlook express 5.0 mails into

>Mmm .. maybe convert them into standard mail format and then just let
>netscape read them as normal?

>: linux netscape messenger 4.73?

>I suspect that your question should be to the outlook newsgroups "how
>can I export mail in standard mail folder format"? I have no idea what
>outlooks native format is. If it's text you may have some luck with
>"formail" on unix to reformat it properly. If it's a binary database,
>you need to attack it with a chisel and forceps.

There is a program called "oe2mbx" which converts OE5 folders to standard
MBX format - look for it on http://www.freshmeat.net/ or, if you're
really desperate, email me back and I'll send it to you - the source is
only a few K in size ...

I have used the program - it seems to work very well.

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart

Computing Manager
ICRF Cancer Epidemiology Unit, Oxford UK

Post by Robie Bas » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>>: does anybody know if and how i can import outlook express 5.0 mails into

>>Mmm .. maybe convert them into standard mail format and then just let
>>netscape read them as normal?

>>: linux netscape messenger 4.73?

>>I suspect that your question should be to the outlook newsgroups "how
>>can I export mail in standard mail folder format"? I have no idea what
>>outlooks native format is. If it's text you may have some luck with
>>"formail" on unix to reformat it properly. If it's a binary database,
>>you need to attack it with a chisel and forceps.

>There is a program called "oe2mbx" which converts OE5 folders to standard
>MBX format - look for it on http://www.freshmeat.net/ or, if you're
>really desperate, email me back and I'll send it to you - the source is
>only a few K in size ...

>I have used the program - it seems to work very well.

Didn't work for me at all :-(

I've decided never again to use an email client which cannot export
mail as a standard (text) format - either mbox or maildir or similar.

Robie.
--

how to import outlook mail into netscape mail?

Post by Robie Bas » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 21:12:20 -0500, Divya Sundaram said:

Quote:>Well,
>The way *I* did this was as follows:

>    Installed UWash IMAP on a Linux box
>    Created an account on the Mail Server
>    Used OE5 to transfer the mail from my local folders to Server

>Once done, I can now simply use IMAP or use Netscape to
>download the messages. Personally, I would leave it on the server.

Ah, but I have not two computers :-)

Robie.

--

Post by Wouter Verhels » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 21:12:20 -0500, Divya Sundaram said:
> >Well,
> >The way *I* did this was as follows:

> >    Installed UWash IMAP on a Linux box
> >    Created an account on the Mail Server
> >    Used OE5 to transfer the mail from my local folders to Server

> >Once done, I can now simply use IMAP or use Netscape to
> >download the messages. Personally, I would leave it on the server.

> Ah, but I have not two computers :-)

The nice thing about Linux is that the latest kernelversions run on the
oldest architectures (though a little slower, of course)

Get yourselves an old 386- or 486-machine for 10$, put Linux on it, connect
them via something (serial line, networkcards, whatever) and whoops! you're
gone.
--
Greetings,

Wouter

how to import outlook mail into netscape mail?

Post by Alex Lo » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>does anybody know if and how i can import outlook express 5.0 mails into
>linux netscape messenger 4.73?

Why don't you export it to ASCII (tab delimeted). But I don't know how
to import it to Netscape.

Alex

1. Importing Outlook mail on 98 to Linux?

Hi,

I run Windows 98 on one partition and I recently installed Linux (RedHat
6.1) on another partition. I want all my mail which is stored by
OutLookExpress in Windows 98 to be imported into the Communicator email
on Linux. I have access to all the outlook files by mounting the CDrive
under Linux. But Communicator does not seem to have an import menu item
under Linux.

Is there an easy way to do it? (Other than installing Netscape on
Windows 98, importing everything and using the same files under Linux -
are these files of Communicator compatible between Windows and Linux)

Thanks
Pawan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Error from tar extration

3. KMAIL import Mails from Outlook Express ?

4. ext3fs with redhat 7.2, still fscking

5. Importing mail from BSDI mail server

6. A few problems...

7. How do I delete mail from mail file /var/mail/su after reading mails

8. Name Server problem

9. Netscape mail import

10. importing netscape mail ( with subfolders ) to kmail

11. Export/import mail/folders between Kmail, Netscape and other

12. Netscape mail wont get additional mail

13. Netscape mail and linux mail or mailx on linux