Benchmarking a file system.

Post by Seth Van Oor » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

Go to lxr.linux.no/source. It makes finding stuff easy.

Seth

> Hi guys,

> I want to bench mark the performance of a file system (minix). I
> basically want to keep track of how many times certain functions get
> called (and how much total time they take) --- ie the inode_operations
> defined in file.c in the /minix directory under /usr/src/fs.

> I want these statistics to be available in a file in /proc for viewing
> on demand.

> My problem is: How can you determine when an inode_operation is called.
> My idea was to redefine all the inode_operations (in the
> inode_operations structure in file.c) to point to functions I define and
> have those functions call the actual inode_operations (so I can do the
> benchmarking in between).

> The problem I am having is that not all the inode_operations are defined
> (they are NULL) meaning that they default to some default
> inode_operation defined somewhere in /fs. My question is, how do I find
> out where these default operations are. I don't really know which file
> to look in. If I cant find them then I can't get my functions to call
> the appropriate inode_operation, cause I don't know their name!.

> Hope this makes sense.

> thanks in advance,

> Vij.

Benchmarking a file system.

Post by Vijay Boyapat » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

[...]

1. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

    Some time ago I was involved in discussion on this news group regarding the
design of a new file system for Linux.  The main aim is to support dynamic size
changing by adding/removing partitions from the file system at run time without
interrupting processes that are using the file system.  Another major feature is
logging so that a system crash or power failure can be recovered from without
data loss or an excessive amount of time spent running FSCK.

  This project is now going ahead, if you are interested then please load up the
following URL: http://www.virtual.net.au/~rjc/enh-fs.html

Russell Coker

2. tcgetattr and PPP

3. Networking and files system benchmarks

4. FTP'ing to Windows from FreeBSD

5. benchmarking file system.

6. Announcement: PCthreads Baselevel 6 for Linux and DCE

7. Networking and files system benchmarks

8. Firewall FTP Gateway & Netscape Problem

9. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"

10. /var file system <==> /usr file system

11. copy umsdos file system to ext2 file system

12. Can msdos file system handle double space DOS file system ?

13. 5.6 x86: file system full message, but file system not full!