FTP from remote server to 2nd remote server?

FTP from remote server to 2nd remote server?

Post by LRW » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:12:17

I'm looking for an application (Windows) that will allow one to transfer
files directly from one remote Linux server to a 2nd remote Linux server.

The reason being I have a new host for my site that uses a bulletin board
wih a lot of CGI files with different permissions. And if I copy down to my
Windows PC, then back up to a 2nd server it messes up all the permissions.
But I understand that if I copy straight from one Linux server to another,
all the permissions stay the same.

Any recommendations on applications that can do this...or better proceedures
I can use that will retain permissions?

Thanks!
Liam
druid -at- celticbear -dot- com

Post by Michael Heimin » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:19:48

> I'm looking for an application (Windows) that will allow one to transfer
> files directly from one remote Linux server to a 2nd remote Linux server.
> The reason being I have a new host for my site that uses a bulletin board
> wih a lot of CGI files with different permissions. And if I copy down to my
> Windows PC, then back up to a 2nd server it messes up all the permissions.
> But I understand that if I copy straight from one Linux server to another,
> all the permissions stay the same.

Use scp (belongs to the openssh package) to copy files or create a tar/cpio
ball and copy this.

Quote:> Any recommendations on applications that can do this...or better proceedures
> I can use that will retain permissions?

man scp
/-p

--
Michael Heiming

inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

FTP from remote server to 2nd remote server?

Post by Kevin » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:45:32

Quote:> I'm looking for an application (Windows) that will allow one to transfer
> files directly from one remote Linux server to a 2nd remote Linux server.

SmartFTP (http://www.smartftp.com/) can supposedly do this, but I've never
had it working.

Post by Dan Skinn » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:51:50

> > I'm looking for an application (Windows) that will allow one to transfer
> > files directly from one remote Linux server to a 2nd remote Linux server.

> SmartFTP (http://www.smartftp.com/) can supposedly do this, but I've never
> had it working.

Log in on Linux machine A with ssh or telnet.
Ftp to Linux machine B from Linux machine A command line.
Transfer the files.
You are done.
Regards...Dan.

Post by Charles A. Burg » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 04:08:26

> > I'm looking for an application (Windows) that will allow one to transfer
> > files directly from one remote Linux server to a 2nd remote Linux server.

> > The reason being I have a new host for my site that uses a bulletin board
> > wih a lot of CGI files with different permissions. And if I copy down to my
> > Windows PC, then back up to a 2nd server it messes up all the permissions.
> > But I understand that if I copy straight from one Linux server to another,
> > all the permissions stay the same.

> Use scp (belongs to the openssh package) to copy files or create a tar/cpio
> ball and copy this.

> > Any recommendations on applications that can do this...or better proceedures
> > I can use that will retain permissions?

> man scp
> /-p

> --
> Michael Heiming

> Remove +SIGNS and www. if you expect an answer, sorry for
> inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

Alternatively, could you simply telnet to one of the Linux machines and then FTP
from there?

Charles