Dual boot

Post by smcpeek%uiuc.edu%f41.n109.z1.his. » Sun, 15 Oct 1995 04:00:00

:    What I want to do is to have a choice of either running Win95(& MS-DOS)
: *or* Linux (the real operating system, not just an emulator).  I believe
: this is called dual boot. Is this possible?  I know you can buy software to
: do this, but I do not want to spend money.  Any help will be greatly
: appreciated.

Yes, there are two common ways to do this, both from Linux.  Either LILO
which sits in your Master Boot Record and allows you to choose which
Operating System to go into upon boot or loadlin which is a dos executable
which boots Linux.  Loadlin general goes into a boot up file for Dos and
allows the user to choose which OS to go into there with the use of multi-
config setup.  I use LILO because there's no reason for me to go all the
way into DOS and then go back out and into Linux.  If Win95 is installed
after LILO, it will overwrite the MBR and you'll have to reinstall LILO,
which isn't a big deal.

[...]

Post by jhinkle%pacificrim.net%f41.n109.z » Mon, 16 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>   Please excuse me if this question has been answered, but I didn't find
>it in the Linux FAQ.
>   What I want to do is to have a choice of either running Win95(& MS-DOS)
>*or* Linux (the real operating system, not just an emulator).  I believe
>this is called dual boot. Is this possible?  I know you can buy software to
>do this, but I do not want to spend money.  Any help will be greatly
>appreciated.

>                                     Art Kolchinsky,

Yes, it is possible. When you set up Linux with the 'setup' command from
your first boot/root disk combination, you will come to a LILO section
which allows you to specify multiple booting schemes. Read it very
carefully because you can really foul things up with it! I recommend
telling it to write the boot information to a floppy instead of your
Master Boot Record. I'd give you a better description, but I can't yet
get anything from Linux while I'm using the Newsreader in Windows.

It is a sensible utility, although a little arcane, but you will have the
choice to boot Linux first (Or not at all!), or some other system.
Originally, I found it easy to specify MS-DOS first, if nothing is typed
within 5 seconds, and a choice of MS-DOS or Linux as names to boot (You
get to specify what you call the boot sequences.)

jmh

Dual boot

Post by jhinkle%pacificrim... » Mon, 16 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>   Please excuse me if this question has been answered, but I didn't find
>it in the Linux FAQ.
>   What I want to do is to have a choice of either running Win95(& MS-DOS)
>*or* Linux (the real operating system, not just an emulator).  I believe
>this is called dual boot. Is this possible?  I know you can buy software to
>do this, but I do not want to spend money.  Any help will be greatly
>appreciated.

>                                     Art Kolchinsky,

Yes, it is possible. When you set up Linux with the 'setup' command from
your first boot/root disk combination, you will come to a LILO section
which allows you to specify multiple booting schemes. Read it very
carefully because you can really foul things up with it! I recommend
telling it to write the boot information to a floppy instead of your
Master Boot Record. I'd give you a better description, but I can't yet
get anything from Linux while I'm using the Newsreader in Windows.

It is a sensible utility, although a little arcane, but you will have the
choice to boot Linux first (Or not at all!), or some other system.
Originally, I found it easy to specify MS-DOS first, if nothing is typed
within 5 seconds, and a choice of MS-DOS or Linux as names to boot (You
get to specify what you call the boot sequences.)

jmh

1. Dual boot networked to dual boot

I have two dual boot machines. They are already networked when both
machines are running Win98. I want to network them when one is running
linux and the other is running Win98. I also want to network them when
they are both running linux.

Does one of these machines have to be set up as a server and the other a
workstation?

2. HELP: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:41

3. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

4. pppd, NT RAS, linux, callback...

5. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

6. SunBlade 1000 and Firewire Storage

7. Anybody kvoice working

8. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

9. help with dual boot, dual drive setup?

10. Dual boot for dual Hard drive (newbie)

11. Dual Boot--Dual Monitor in win98--X trouble with Linux

12. Help RH7.2 dual proc, dual boot