Aren't faster connection speeds killing Linux?

Aren't faster connection speeds killing Linux?

Post by j » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:39:09

By increasing everyone's technology and download speeds, isn't getting
Linux iso images for free hurting the Linux community (the for profit
part of it anyway)?

Post by Grant Edwar » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:56:22

> By increasing everyone's technology and download speeds, isn't
> getting Linux iso images for free hurting the Linux community
> (the for profit part of it anyway)?

Nobody ever made a profit selling the bits anyway. CD's were
always available for a dollar or two each: for $10 you could
get a half dozen different distros on CD.  Support still costs
money -- except for Usenet. ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Used staples are good
                                  at               with SOY SAUCE!

Post by bd » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:58:48

>> By increasing everyone's technology and download speeds, isn't
>> getting Linux iso images for free hurting the Linux community
>> (the for profit part of it anyway)?

> Nobody ever made a profit selling the bits anyway. CD's were
> always available for a dollar or two each: for $10 you could
> get a half dozen different distros on CD.  Support still costs
> money -- except for Usenet. ;)

Ack! We're killing Linux as we *financing fault, core dumped*

Visualize whirled peas.