New ideas for software licessing

Post by Mark Robinso » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

While software licesses are required for new software to protect the
publisher from piracy, but old products no longer made/distributed(read
Oracle1, Zork 1, NES games...) should not be illegal, due to the fact
that it is no longer possible to obtain them legally.  What do you
think?
(I posted this here to get the opinion of the free software community)

wo lo lo lo
wo lo lo lo
wo lo lo lo
wo lo lo lo
Plasmoid casts FLAME shield

Post by Dustin Puryea » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>While software licesses are required for new software to protect the
>publisher from piracy, but old products no longer made/distributed(read
>Oracle1, Zork 1, NES games...) should not be illegal, due to the fact
>that it is no longer possible to obtain them legally.  What do you
>think?

Game publishers sometimes repackage old games in "the good old days" bundles
for resale. Is it fair to kill any chance they have of making more profit from
their product? Hell, I just bought the "Heroes of Might and Magic" bundle and
am loving it.

Regards, Dustin

--
Dustin Puryear, student, Louisiana State University

Help Crack Government Encryption: www.distributed.net

New ideas for software licessing

Post by Mark Robinso » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

But, publishers don't have to give up rights to their product.  I was thinking
about letting people download games from the net when they are no longer available
legally, without fear of criminal punishment.  They can still rebunddle the games
as much as they want.

> >While software licesses are required for new software to protect the
> >publisher from piracy, but old products no longer made/distributed(read
> >Oracle1, Zork 1, NES games...) should not be illegal, due to the fact
> >that it is no longer possible to obtain them legally.  What do you
> >think?

> Game publishers sometimes repackage old games in "the good old days" bundles
> for resale. Is it fair to kill any chance they have of making more profit from
> their product? Hell, I just bought the "Heroes of Might and Magic" bundle and
> am loving it.

> Regards, Dustin

> --
> Dustin Puryear, student, Louisiana State University

> Help Crack Government Encryption: www.distributed.net

1. Ideas for new linux software?

I'm looking around to see if there is like a "wish list" or anything for
software that people want to see written for linux.  I want to write some
stuff, but I'm not exactly Mr. Idea.

--

Physics/Electrical Engineering           |   for
Pager : (503)301-8395                    |     something

2. Secondary DNS

3. Ideas for new linux software? svgalib www browser.

4. Pics: Arrest of Linux picketers outside Microsoft building.

5. New Software License idea: "The Freedom License."

6. can't find mouse...

7. distrib a system for software distribution - an idea for software distribution

8. sendmail problem solved

9. New way to do QOS and limit bandwidth with Linux, new site , new software Howto Included

10. new software (and updated software)

11. New Organization to Serve Free Software Community: Free Software Union

12. Announcing; New Linux BBS Software / New Linux BBS