SCSI tape drive problem w/ RH 6.1

Post by Harsha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I installed an Adaptec 2940U2W card in a Red Hat 6.1 system and
attached a Quantum DLT drive to it. On bootup, SCSI card BIOS detected
the drive fine but none of the backup commands worked. I always get
erorrs saying no such device at /dev/st0. /var/log/dmesg has nothing to
say about the Adaptec card. Does this mean that the system can't see
the card as well as the attached drive?

The card does not come with drivers for Linux but I was told that 'RH
6.1 knows about the card'.

Do I have to install any driver for the tape drive to work properly.

Regards,
Harshal

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by David » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I installed an Adaptec 2940U2W card in a Red Hat 6.1 system and
> attached a Quantum DLT drive to it. On bootup, SCSI card BIOS detected
> the drive fine but none of the backup commands worked. I always get
> erorrs saying no such device at /dev/st0. /var/log/dmesg has nothing
> to say about the Adaptec card. Does this mean that the system can't
> see the card as well as the attached drive?

This means that the card's device drivers have not loaded.

Quote:> The card does not come with drivers for Linux but I was told that 'RH
> 6.1 knows about the card'.

> Do I have to install any driver for the tape drive to work properly.

Yes.  Add this line to /etc/conf.modules:

        alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

and reboot.

Be sure to regenerate your boot floppy (via mkbootdisk) afterwards, so
it will be able to access any SCSI devices.

If you plan on booting from a SCSI hard drive, be sure to also generate
an initrd file (via mkinitrd) after doing this, so that your ramdisk
will have the SCSI driver in it - then update LILO before rebooting.
(If you don't require any files on any SCSI drives at boot time, then
this last step is optional.)

-- David

Post by -ljl » Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:34:35

> > I installed an Adaptec 2940U2W card in a Red Hat 6.1 system and
> > attached a Quantum DLT drive to it. On bootup, SCSI card BIOS
detected
> > the drive fine but none of the backup commands worked. I always get
> > erorrs saying no such device at /dev/st0. /var/log/dmesg has nothing
> > to say about the Adaptec card. Does this mean that the system can't
> > see the card as well as the attached drive?

> This means that the card's device drivers have not loaded.

> > The card does not come with drivers for Linux but I was told that
'RH
> > 6.1 knows about the card'.

> > Do I have to install any driver for the tape drive to work properly.

> Yes.  Add this line to /etc/conf.modules:

>         alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

> and reboot.

> Be sure to regenerate your boot floppy (via mkbootdisk) afterwards, so
> it will be able to access any SCSI devices.

> If you plan on booting from a SCSI hard drive, be sure to also
generate
> an initrd file (via mkinitrd) after doing this, so that your ramdisk
> will have the SCSI driver in it - then update LILO before rebooting.
> (If you don't require any files on any SCSI drives at boot time, then
> this last step is optional.)

Also, you will need 'st' (SCSI Tape) support compiled in or as a module.
I suspect that you have "st.o" and it should be loaded automagically.

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SCSI tape drive problem w/ RH 6.1

Post by David » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Also, you will need 'st' (SCSI Tape) support compiled in or as a module.
> I suspect that you have "st.o" and it should be loaded automagically.

Every commercial distribution provides this.  You shouldn't be missing
the st driver unless you explicitly compiled your kernel without it.

-- David

Post by -ljl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> Also, you will need 'st' (SCSI Tape) support compiled in or
>> as a module.  I suspect that you have "st.o" and it should
>> be loaded automagically.

> Every commercial distribution provides this.  You shouldn't be missing
> the st driver unless you explicitly compiled your kernel without it.

READ my reply!!

Module                  Size  Used by
st                     25452   0
advansys               82184   0

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SCSI tape drive problem w/ RH 6.1

Post by Harsha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have not modified the kernel. It is a
standard Red Hat 6.1 install.

I added the 'alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx' to /etc/conf.modules
and re-booted but the system still can't see the SCSI tape drive.

/sbin/lsmod does not show either st.o or aic7xxx.o.

# /sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
3c59x                  19112   1  (autoclean)
#

aic7xxx.o and st.o are present at /lib/modules/2.2.12-20/scsi/aic7xxx.o
and /lib/modules/2.2.12-20/scsi/st.o

Can't figure out why they are not being loaded.

Any additional info will be very helpful.

Thanks.
Harshal

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SCSI tape drive problem w/ RH 6.1

Post by -ljl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Thanks for all your suggestions. I have not modified the kernel.
> It is a standard Red Hat 6.1 install.

You can try and load your adapter's module by hand using "insmod".
Keep an eye out for error messages, check "dmesg | less" too.

Quote:> # /sbin/lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> 3c59x                  19112   1  (autoclean)

You only have one module loaded?

Module                  Size  Used by
3c59x                  19652   1  (autoclean)
st                     25452   0
nls_cp437               3908   2  (autoclean)
vfat                    9596   1  (autoclean)
fat                    31200   1  (autoclean) [vfat]
maestro                27240   0
soundcore               2756   2  [maestro]
advansys               82184   0

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SCSI tape drive problem w/ RH 6.1

Post by Harsha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> You can try and load your adapter's module by hand using "insmod".
> Keep an eye out for error messages, check "dmesg | less" too.

I can add both aic7xxx and st using insmod (dmesg confirms this) but I
still can't use the tape.

mt -f /dev/st0 rewind gives:

/dev/st0: No such device

Quote:> You only have one module loaded?

Yep. This is a very minimal web server. I want to back it up on a SCSI
DLT drive that works fine on a couple of other Red Hat 6.1 systems we
have.

2 things still puzzle me:
1. I can't figure why a reboot is not loading the aic7xxx module
2. And why can't I use the tape after manually loading the module.

Thanks for all your help so far. I am pretty sure I am missing
something simple but I can't figure out what.

Any HOW-TOs or FAQs I should look at?

Thanks again,

Post by -ljl » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:42:58

> > You can try and load your adapter's module by hand using "insmod".
> > Keep an eye out for error messages, check "dmesg | less" too.

> I can add both aic7xxx and st using insmod (dmesg confirms this) but I
> still can't use the tape.

> mt -f /dev/st0 rewind gives:

> /dev/st0: No such device

> > You only have one module loaded?

> Yep. This is a very minimal web server. I want to back it up on a SCSI
> DLT drive that works fine on a couple of other Red Hat 6.1 systems we
> have.

> 2 things still puzzle me:
> 1. I can't figure why a reboot is not loading the aic7xxx module
> 2. And why can't I use the tape after manually loading the module.

> Thanks for all your help so far. I am pretty sure I am missing
> something simple but I can't figure out what.

> Any HOW-TOs or FAQs I should look at?

Here is an excerpt from "/usr/src/linux/Documentation/scsi.txt":

 The scsi-core contains the core of scsi support.  Without it you
can do nothing with any of the other scsi drivers.  The scsi core
support can be a module (scsi_mod.o), or it can be built into the
kernel.  If the core is a module, it must be the first scsi module
loaded, and if you unload the modules, it will have to be the last
one unloaded.

Could this be the problem; my system has 'scsi_mod' built-in.

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

Post by Leonard Even » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > > You can try and load your adapter's module by hand using "insmod".
> > > Keep an eye out for error messages, check "dmesg | less" too.

> > I can add both aic7xxx and st using insmod (dmesg confirms this) but I
> > still can't use the tape.

> > mt -f /dev/st0 rewind gives:

> > /dev/st0: No such device

> > > You only have one module loaded?

> > Yep. This is a very minimal web server. I want to back it up on a SCSI
> > DLT drive that works fine on a couple of other Red Hat 6.1 systems we
> > have.

> > 2 things still puzzle me:
> > 1. I can't figure why a reboot is not loading the aic7xxx module
> > 2. And why can't I use the tape after manually loading the module.

> > Thanks for all your help so far. I am pretty sure I am missing
> > something simple but I can't figure out what.

> > Any HOW-TOs or FAQs I should look at?

> Here is an excerpt from "/usr/src/linux/Documentation/scsi.txt":

>  The scsi-core contains the core of scsi support.  Without it you
> can do nothing with any of the other scsi drivers.  The scsi core
> support can be a module (scsi_mod.o), or it can be built into the
> kernel.  If the core is a module, it must be the first scsi module
> loaded, and if you unload the modules, it will have to be the last
> one unloaded.

I've checked a couple of machines we have which use SCSI devices,
and none of them show scsi_mod as a loaded module.  I think it
must be built into the generic kernel which we are using.

One of our machines is like the one described in the original
posting.  It has an IDE hard drive and the card is used only
for a tape drive.  We had to put an entry in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
in order to load the scsi module.  It is done automatically for
the machines which have a SCSI disk.

I wonder if there is something wrong in this case with the tape
crive or the SCSI bus.

Quote:

> Could this be the problem; my system has 'scsi_mod' built-in.

> --
> Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

SCSI tape drive problem w/ RH 6.1

Post by Harsha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for all your help.

I can now use the tape drive if I manually load the aic7xxx and st
modules.

But even though I have the 'alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx' line in
/etc/conf.modules, the module is not automatically loaded on re-boot.

Do I have to use '/sbin/mkinitrd' to generate a new ramdisk image?

Thanks again,
- Harshal

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SCSI tape drive problem w/ RH 6.1

Post by Leonard Even » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Thanks for all your help.

> I can now use the tape drive if I manually load the aic7xxx and st
> modules.

All we had to do was to put
modprobe scsi_hostadapter
in rc.local.  Apparently it took care of loading the st module
itself.

Quote:

> But even though I have the 'alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx' line in
> /etc/conf.modules, the module is not automatically loaded on re-boot.

> Do I have to use '/sbin/mkinitrd' to generate a new ramdisk image?

I still don't understand just when the scsi host adapter module
is loader.  Clearly if you are going to boot from a SCSI hard
disk, you will have to load something first to access the drive.
You can't rely on the kernel using the module before it is loaded.
But it would seem overkill to use an initial ramdisk if you don't
need it.  If someone can explain exactly what happens in each
circumstance, it would be interesting.

Quote:

> Thanks again,
> - Harshal

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

SCSI tape drive problem w/ RH 6.1

Post by Harsha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[...]

Quote:> > Do I have to use '/sbin/mkinitrd' to generate a new ramdisk image?

> I still don't understand just when the scsi host adapter module
> is loader.  Clearly if you are going to boot from a SCSI hard
> disk, you will have to load something first to access the drive.
> You can't rely on the kernel using the module before it is loaded.
> But it would seem overkill to use an initial ramdisk if you don't
> need it.  If someone can explain exactly what happens in each
> circumstance, it would be interesting.

The hard drive on this machine is not SCSI. The only SCSI device is the
tape drive.

On a different machine where this setup works fine, /var/log/messages
has this;

kernel: scsi : 0 hosts.
kernel: scsi : detected total.
kernel: md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
kernel: Partition check:
kernel:  hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 >
kernel: RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
kernel: autodetecting RAID arrays
kernel: autorun ...
kernel: ... autorun DONE.
kernel: EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck
kernel: VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
kernel: (scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra2 SCSI host adapter> found at PCI
15/0
kernel: (scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=7, 32/255 SCBs
kernel: (scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 374 instructions
downloaded
kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI)
5.1.20/3.2.4   /3.2.4
kernel:        <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra2 SCSI host adapter>
kernel: scsi : 1 host.

which leads me to believe that it uses the RAMDISK to load the drivers.

I guess running /sbin/mkinitrd and re-booting would work but I don't
want to do this before understanding the effects.

Thanks,
Harshal

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SCSI tape drive problem w/ RH 6.1

Post by -ljl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[...]

Quote:> kernel: RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0

Quote:> kernel:        <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra2 SCSI host adapter>
> kernel: scsi : 1 host.

> which leads me to believe that it uses the RAMDISK to load the
> drivers.

> I guess running /sbin/mkinitrd and re-booting would work but I don't
> want to do this before understanding the effects.

This should not be a problem.  It is my understanding that if you
boot with a SCSI drive you need to go the initrd route so the kernel
can read the drive; but like Leonard I have an IDE drive and only use
SCSI for my DAT.

I suggest that you create a kernel with built-in support for the
following SCSI stuff:(/usr/src/linux/.config)

  "CONFIG_SCSI=y", "CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST=y","CONFIG_SCSI_your-adapter=y".

Red Hat, et al, lock "st" into memory because some tape drive go
crazy when it is unloaded.

cat /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
  # If a SCSI tape has been detected, load the st module unconditionally
  # since many SCSI tapes don't deal well with st being loaded and
  unloaded

In view of this a production system should have _all_ SCSI support
built-in, IMHO.

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

Post by Richard J. Freedm » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Thanks for all your help.

>I can now use the tape drive if I manually load the aic7xxx and st
>modules.

>But even though I have the 'alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx' line in
>/etc/conf.modules, the module is not automatically loaded on re-boot.

>Do I have to use '/sbin/mkinitrd' to generate a new ramdisk image?

>Thanks again,
>- Harshal

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
>Before you buy.

Yes.
--
* Freedman

1. RH 6.1 and SCSI tape drive.

I sure hope someone can help me out with this.

I am lucky enough to have a really nice scsi tape drive a seagate stt220000N.

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/tapesales/marketing/detail/0,1122...

its a nice 20 gig travan. I can get my machine to see it just fine and Kudzu jumped

up and said it saw it, set it to /dev/st0  ~/dev/tape. however the problem is, any time i

try to write anything to it, it goes about a consistant 333k then wants a new tape??

i have tried them all "dump" "BRU" even *icckk* "Kdat" they all do the same.. so im thinking,

config error. but WHAT? anyone have any ideas where i should start? and if you can help, please be

as specific as possible.

i do have the mt-st package installed, mt operations are fine. however stinit tells me "no working

config file found" and i have -NO- idea were to start on that one.

thanks in advance for ANY help.

Andy

--
DO NOT meddle in the affairs of the sysadmins,
for they are subtle and QUICK to anger.

Be nice to me or I'll replace you with a very small
shell script.  --Andy

2. disk performance on ASUS P54NP4D motherboard

3. SCSI ZIP drive RH 6.1 problems

4. NFS share between Solaris 2.8 servers

5. Tape Drive backup for RH linux 6.1

6. Setting up lpd, lpr, etc.

7. Accessing SCSI Tape drive in Red Hat Linux 6.1

8. Minicom / Zmodem

9. Red Hat 6.1 SCSI Tape Drive Difficulties

10. AHA 1542 Scsi not working under RH 6.1; worked fine under RH 5.2

11. scsi problem with RH 6.1

12. Problems with more than 3 SCSI-cdrom drives (SuSE 6.1 Kernel 2.2.5)

13. Upgrading from RH 5.2 to RH 6.1 Problems