Burn RedHat 5.1 to CD - Will install read Joliet CD?

Burn RedHat 5.1 to CD - Will install read Joliet CD?

Post by Dal » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi, folks.

I was thinking about burning RedHat 5.1 to a CD.  My CD burning
software (at the office) only burns Joliet extension CD's.

Does anyone know if the RedHat 5.1 install can be run from a Joliet
CD?  I'd like to find out before I waste a CD-R and make myself
another beverage coaster.

(FWIW, when doing the install from an IDE drive I *did* discover that
RedHat 5.1 cannot be installed from a FAT32 partition, only a FAT16
partition.)

Please copy replies to email, as my ISP's newserver has ridiculously
short expire times.

My posting address is distorted to deter spam.
Please direct replies to <dale at peergroup dot com>
or to <daleh at kw dot igs dot net>

Dale Hennessey |       HOME       |        |      BUSINESS
The PEER Group |  (519) 579-3565  | Voice  |   (519) 763-4445
Guelph, ON     |  (519) 579-9718  |  Fax   |   (519) 763-4127

Burn RedHat 5.1 to CD - Will install read Joliet CD?

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi, folks.

> I was thinking about burning RedHat 5.1 to a CD.  My CD burning
> software (at the office) only burns Joliet extension CD's.

> Does anyone know if the RedHat 5.1 install can be run from a Joliet
> CD?  I'd like to find out before I waste a CD-R and make myself
> another beverage coaster.

Yes, you can do this.  I *STRONGLY* recommend that you take a look at my
web page on the topic, though:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/rhjol.html

There are a number of potential pitfalls lurking for the unwary, and it's
easy to burn a useless CD this way.

Quote:> (FWIW, when doing the install from an IDE drive I *did* discover that
> RedHat 5.1 cannot be installed from a FAT32 partition, only a FAT16
> partition.)

Actually, Red Hat 5.1 **CAN** be installed from FAT-32 -- you just need to
change the partition type from FAT-32 to FAT-16 during the installation
(in Linux's fdisk), or the install program won't give you the option of
mounting the FAT-32 partition.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

1. Burning RedHat 5.1 to CD-R?

I'm guessing that the kernel on the floppy which you
are booting from dosn't have Joliet support built into
it. If that is the case, you could build a kernel with joliet,
then make a new boot floppy containing that kernel.

I think unix likes the Rockridge extensions. If you have the
option in your cd-r software to burn a Rockridge cd, try that.

2. What determines default desktop manager?

3. How to burn the RedHat 5.1 ftp-dir to a CD-RW...??

4. MkLinux on dual processor machine

5. Please help -- error in burning or reading burned CD

6. map winkey to bring up xterms in X

7. mounting CD's burned on WIn9x with joliet extensions - bugs??

8. Veritas Linux HA cluster product

9. Redhat 5.1 Hard-drive CD Install

10. Redhat 5.1 install via CD prob

11. HELP: Install problems w/ Redhat 5.1 CD from Linux Mall

12. RedHat 5.1 install failed -- can't use ATAPI CD-ROM

13. Does anyone know about installing Redhat 5.1 on an IBM valuepoint with SCSI CD?