host type and /configure

Post by Gilles Lorte » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,
I know it's a question from a newbies, but
anyway...
When I try to compile a program, I have the
following message after  ./configure:
"checking host system type .......... error:
cannot guess host type, you must specify one"
What does it mean and what should I do (the readme
files don't specify this point) ?
Thanks for help,

Gilles

host type and /configure

Post by Jasper Moelle » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Hi all,
>I know it's a question from a newbies, but
>anyway...
>When I try to compile a program, I have the
>following message after  ./configure:
>"checking host system type .......... error:
>cannot guess host type, you must specify one"
>What does it mean and what should I do (the readme
>files don't specify this point) ?
>Thanks for help,

Phew!

Your configure script is either broken or too old (happens especially when
having a four component machine configuration). Basically, the message means:
"Tell me what kind of system I'm running on"
You have to do:
/configure --host=HOSTTYPE
where HOSTTYPE is a specification consisting of two or three components:
CPU-SYSTEM or CPU-COMPANY-SYSTEM (see the gcc installation
Documentation for details). In my experience, --host="i386-linux" or
--host="i386-unknown-linux" nearly always works on Linux.

Hope this helps.
--
Jasper Moeller

If you put garbage in a computer nothing comes out but garbage.  But
this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine, is
somehow enobled and none dare criticize it.

1. Host type for gcc configure?

Hiya.. I recently installed Mandrake 6.0 linux 2.2.9, and i'm having a problem
where i can't run ./configure to get gcc made.  I don't think i installed all
the packages I needed, because i don't have gcc, cc, make, or any other
development tools.. I downloaded all the relevant packages off the net,
gunzipped and untar'd them, but am stuck running ./configure.. it goes through
all the motions, then stops because it can't recognize the host type.  Any clues
as to what it could be?  If anyone could help me or point me in the right
direction, that'd be great! Thanks

Aruna

2. mailagent help

3. 'Make configure' invalid host type in redhat

4. Maximum size of named pipes?

5. configure cannot guess host type with egcs

6. slackware 1.1.1 + LaTeX2e (from slackware 1.1.2)

7. Setting up host type for configure

8. send() problem : 0 bytes received by client

9. configuring hosts.allow and hosts.deny???

10. How to configure hosts.allow /host.deny for IPSEC ??

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. Help me configure mime.types

13. ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use '--no-verify'