Install woes

Post by Thomas Fletch » Wed, 29 Jun 1994 01:23:58

Allright folks,

  Got up this morn, all ready and raring to go to put Linux
Slackware 1.2.0 (I beleive those are the right #'s) and I set
about the install.  I have a 486dx with 4 megs of RAM and a
204 meg HD partitioned into 3 drives C,D,E. I want to install
only a basic Linux system right now so I am want to only use
my E partition which has approx 70 megs of space on it.  Plenty
of room for just a bare bones system right now (or so I am told).

  I threw in the bare boot disk and that loaded just fine, told
me the right information and all, the I put in color144 the root
disk.  It gave me the "slackware login:" prompt and I entered in
root ... then it prompted for a password.  I don't have the right
info so it did this 3/4 times and then gave a timeout message and
went back to the same initial prompt.  Now I enter in root and I
get the root prompt (#) however when I try and run fdisk I get
the message "Can't allocate any more memory."

  Can any one help out a frustrated beginner.  I have read all the
information that I could but now I need some practical advice. I
want to run Linux!

  Postings or mail is great ... our mail server is down and I would
like to get going on this ASAP if you have any ideas mail might
be best if our news server is flakey (I might not even get this off
today! GRRR)

  Thanks
     Thomas

Install woes

Post by Alex Ram » Wed, 29 Jun 1994 02:16:30

Quote:> Allright folks,
>   Got up this morn, all ready and raring to go to put Linux
> Slackware 1.2.0 (I beleive those are the right #'s) and I set
> about the install.  I have a 486dx with 4 megs of RAM and a
> 204 meg HD partitioned into 3 drives C,D,E. I want to install
> only a basic Linux system right now so I am want to only use
> my E partition which has approx 70 megs of space on it.  Plenty
> of room for just a bare bones system right now (or so I am told).

First, you have only 4M, so a swap partition is absolutely required.
Setting up a swap partition can be tricky when you don't already have
Linux running.

Backup your D: drive, and try this:
        mkswap /dev/hda2 4096
        swapon -v /dev/hda2

--

Louisiana Tech University, BSEE/Sr * These opinions are probably mine

Install woes

Post by Andreas Hel » Wed, 29 Jun 1994 02:40:03

: > Allright folks,

: >   Got up this morn, all ready and raring to go to put Linux
: > Slackware 1.2.0 (I beleive those are the right #'s) and I set
: > about the install.  I have a 486dx with 4 megs of RAM and a
: > 204 meg HD partitioned into 3 drives C,D,E. I want to install
: > only a basic Linux system right now so I am want to only use
: > my E partition which has approx 70 megs of space on it.  Plenty
: > of room for just a bare bones system right now (or so I am told).

: First, you have only 4M, so a swap partition is absolutely required.
: Setting up a swap partition can be tricky when you don't already have
: Linux running.

: Backup your D: drive, and try this:
:       mkswap /dev/hda2 4096
:       swapon -v /dev/hda2

Linux is will accept a msdos partion as swap partition with no problems.
I use this setup to share swap space between linux and MS-Windows. Simply
create the swap partition with the msdos fdisk and enable it in the rc
startup scripts or the root prompt of your installation floppy.

Andreas
--

Andreas Helke

Institut fuer molekulare Genetik, Universitaet Heidelberg
Im Neuenheimer Feld 230
69122 Heidelberg

1. More install woes (No /mnt/install)

OK. I am over my tcpip problems, thanks to SLSSLS1.02 (Much better than 1.01),
but now when I finally get the SLS distribution directory mounted, the install
complains about not haveing the /mnt/install directory.

Sureenough I looked and there is no /mnt/install directory or anything named
install in the SLS distribution apart from a few (6) install.end files
scattered through the place.

Anyone for this one?

--
Trailer courtesy |  Hamish Marson, Computer Services, University of Waikato

                 |  Disclaimer:  Remember, you heard it here first!

Life is like an onion: you peel off layer after layer, then you find there is
 nothing in it.

2. where can go freebsd v 2.2.5 on CD?

3. PB 3400 install woes: Mount failure (no such device)

4. groff 1.10 released

5. More R5 install woes

6. Trouble with 3DEDGE

7. Install woes on OS5 - doesnt find hd controller

8. Diamond Stealth Graphics 64 (ARK) & 1028x768

9. Solaris 2.6 (Intel) Install Woes

10. Yet more install woes

11. R2 B&W G3 Install Woes

12. RedHat 7.0 install woes