PCI motherboard and devices

Post by Munindar Sin » Thu, 10 Mar 1994 10:13:02

Hi,

Has anyone successfully run Linux on a PCI bus system, i.e., with a
PCI motherboard?

The Linux_INFO-SHEET (last updated 21 Jan) says that "Some people have
started support for PCI, but it is currently not ready for the
standard distribution on Linux."  Since apparently releases are made
quite frequently, has there been any change in this status?

Do people have a feel for how long it might take before Linux becomes
usable on PCI bus systems (not fully debugged, just usable)?  Is
special complexity to be expected if, say, IDE devices are used on a
PCI bus?

I hope this will be of interest to many.  Apparently, PCI bus systems
are being sold cheaper than equivalent VESA bus systems (at least by
Gateway).

I welcome comments, even if they are speculative in nature.

Thanks a lot,
Munindar Singh (new to Linux)

Post by James D. Levi » Fri, 11 Mar 1994 11:44:07

: Has anyone successfully run Linux on a PCI bus system, i.e., with a
: PCI motherboard?

I have been running TAMU Linux pl12+ & pl14 for 3.5 months on a PCI
system without any problems whatsoever.

Specifically, it's the Gateway 2000 P5-60, with an Intel PCI motherboard
which has an integrated IDE controller and "fast" serial ports.  The
display adapter is a Gateway OEM ATI PCI Mach32 Ultra, which works great with
the XFree 2.0 Mach32 server.

The disk drive is zippy, although probably not as fast as some of the
5400+ RPM SCSI drives available.  I'm waiting to see about upgrading to
SCSI - *that* may not go as smoothly as the rest.

James

Post by Zenon Fortu » Mon, 14 Mar 1994 07:22:54

>Hi,

>Has anyone successfully run Linux on a PCI bus system, i.e., with a
>PCI motherboard?

>The Linux_INFO-SHEET (last updated 21 Jan) says that "Some people have
>started support for PCI, but it is currently not ready for the
>standard distribution on Linux."  Since apparently releases are made
>quite frequently, has there been any change in this status?

I have installed the SLS 1.03 (but I will reinstall to Slackware) on a
P5-66 system. Only the graphics card was a PCI one - the SCSI disk interface
(and some other, not realated to installation, devices) were IDE.
Linux used the devices without problem.

Quote:>Do people have a feel for how long it might take before Linux becomes
>usable on PCI bus systems (not fully debugged, just usable)?  Is
>special complexity to be expected if, say, IDE devices are used on a
>PCI bus?

I am waiting impatiently for support of the NCR PCI-SC200 FAST SCSI card ...
It was a discussion about relevant driver almost 2 months ago, but since
then a big silence.

>[...]
>I welcome comments, even if they are speculative in nature.

>Thanks a lot,
>Munindar Singh (new to Linux)

PCI motherboard and devices

Post by Michael Wi » Tue, 15 Mar 1994 20:21:45

I will upload my summary on PCI version 0.1 to sunsite sometime...
unfortunately I am on holiday for a week but after that I will.

Maybe it is time for a 0.2 then :-)

Cheers, Michael Will

1. PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions (845 based motherboards)

I'm hoping somebody can give me some advice ...

I see this kernel message when I boot
"PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions"

It prevents me from using DMA on my hardisk.
# hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma  = 0 (off)

I have found this problem on two differnet P4 motherboards, so far
the ASUS P4B533-E and now an Intel D845EBG2.

While researching this topic I have heard that this error occurs
because the BIOS has "mismapped or forgotten to map some of the control
register space for that device".  Nice to know, but neither of these
boards have BIOS updates that make it go away.  I really need
to get these boards working but here is the catch: it must be with a
RedHat 7.3 kernel 2.4.18-5 (per Dialogic, aka Intel, who won't support
anything else with the PCI boards I need to use).

I have heard that some of the newer "ac" kernels have a work-around.
What I am looking for is a patch that I can apply to a RH 2.4.18-5 kernel
that fixes this problem.  One person even mentioned that he simply
commented out the offending code in pci-i386.c to "fix" the problem.
I'm not brave enough to do that without appreciating what else might
then go wrong (but perhaps it is the thing to do here?).

Can anybody help????

Be gentle, I'm not a kernel hacker.

-Brent

(P.S.  It amazes me that both these boards are in widespread use and I
found so little info.  The D845EBG2 is even sold by several vendors with
Linux preconfigured.  Is it possible that people are just not aware of
the crappy performance??)

2. Is IDE DMA stable yet ? (nt)

3. unknown pci device (TX-97e motherboard)

4. Something about Xfree86 bothers me, that is why I use windows to surf the net,

5. XFree86 PCI Device ID confusion on VIA MVP4 based motherboard

6. dumb term ques.

7. need device: devices.pci.b7100010:devices.pci.b7100092

8. Multiple Devices support

9. Intel Plato P54C/PCI Motherboard and PC Tech RZ1000 PCI chip interface

10. SuperMicro P54VL-PCI Motherboard and NCR53c810 PCI SCSI card

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. S1692DL Tiger 2 unknown PCI bridge :unknown Host bridge :unknown PCI Device

13. Warning: unknown pci device please read /include/linux/pci.h