Can I use linux???

Post by D.Weit » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Our church has a 486 with a 500 meg hard disk that was donated.  All os
have been deleted from the machine.  I can't use Windows on it and while
I could install DOS and use Dos-based Wordperfect and Lotus I'd rather
use linux if it would be practical.  My other problems are that this
machine has no CD.  I probably could install a modem but haven't got a
browser -- I'm not sure but I might be able to find an old Dos version
of Procom Plus but I'm not at all sure about that. I was wondering if an
older version of linux would be a way to start.  Any recommendations.
Thanks very much.
Dave Weitz

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Can I use linux???

Post by Robert Helle » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

  In a message on Fri, 24 Mar 2000 06:07:25 GMT, wrote :

D> Our church has a 486 with a 500 meg hard disk that was donated.  All os
D> have been deleted from the machine.  I can't use Windows on it and while
D> I could install DOS and use Dos-based Wordperfect and Lotus I'd rather
D> use linux if it would be practical.  My other problems are that this
D> machine has no CD.  I probably could install a modem but haven't got a
D> browser -- I'm not sure but I might be able to find an old Dos version
D> of Procom Plus but I'm not at all sure about that. I was wondering if an
D> older version of linux would be a way to start.  Any recommendations.
D> Thanks very much.
D> Dave Weitz

Get Slackware and a *big* box of floppies -- Slackware can be installed
from floppies.

If you can beg/borrow/steal/etc a pair of NICs and a desktop box with a
CDROM, Linux already installed, you can drop in a RedHat CD in the
desktop box and install via ethernet.  Actually, you don't really need
the NIC's -- a null modem cable and pppd on both machines will work as
well (just not quite as fast).  You might need to install a small
Slackware system (A and N disks) to get enough up and alive to use some
sort for file transfer hack to get the RH RPM's over.

This is esentually how I got RH 4.1 (and later upgraded to RH 5.2) on
my *old* 486-50 LapTop (I have a PCMCIA Ethernet card).  It has a 500meg
hard drive and no CD-ROM.  Works great.  I don't have netscape
installed and don't have a "word processor".  I do have MicroEmacs
3.10, TeTeX, GhostScript, C/C++, SWIG, Tcl/Tk, Xf, xv, ucblogo, xbill,
and X11 installed  -- a pretty complete, but basic development system.
I did delete most of the stuff under /usr/doc and most of the man pages
to make room.

--
                                     \/

http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

Can I use linux???

Post by Jeff Roedige » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Dave,

        Do you have a CD-ROM? Put it in the church machine for the install and
then take it out.
        Be prepared and available for questions. Or have a training class on
linux for your church members that use the system.
        You'd have thought my church was the biggest in the world by the number
of calls I got a day on Linux. It's a small one actually but alot of
people use the system. Mostly for the CD-R. I wound up reinstalling
windows in order to have a life for linux;-).
        I don't say this gladly considering windows doesn't even exist on any
of my boxes, but... you may want to go with windows unless you have a
small core group of people who will use the system and are willing to
take the time to learn Linux. Some day tho, Linux will rule the
desktop...

Regards
Jeff

> Our church has a 486 with a 500 meg hard disk that was donated.  All os
> have been deleted from the machine.  I can't use Windows on it and while
> I could install DOS and use Dos-based Wordperfect and Lotus I'd rather
> use linux if it would be practical.  My other problems are that this
> machine has no CD.  I probably could install a modem but haven't got a
> browser -- I'm not sure but I might be able to find an old Dos version
> of Procom Plus but I'm not at all sure about that. I was wondering if an
> older version of linux would be a way to start.  Any recommendations.
> Thanks very much.
> Dave Weitz

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Can I use linux???

Post by Ray Riede » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Our church has a 486 with a 500 meg hard disk that was donated.  All os
> have been deleted from the machine.  I can't use Windows on it and while
> I could install DOS and use Dos-based Wordperfect and Lotus I'd rather
> use linux if it would be practical.  My other problems are that this
> machine has no CD.  I probably could install a modem but haven't got a
> browser -- I'm not sure but I might be able to find an old Dos version
> of Procom Plus but I'm not at all sure about that. I was wondering if an
> older version of linux would be a way to start.  Any recommendations.
> Thanks very much.
> Dave Weitz

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Consider using windows 3.1 and Dos 6.22.  Check classifieds adds for olkder
versions of wordperfect.  That machine will be fast with windows 3.1.  Max
out the RAM with used RAM.

Can I use linux???

Post by DeAnn Iwa » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Our church has a 486 with a 500 meg hard disk that was donated.  All os
> have been deleted from the machine.  I can't use Windows on it and while
> I could install DOS and use Dos-based Wordperfect and Lotus I'd rather
> use linux if it would be practical.  My other problems are that this
> machine has no CD.  I probably could install a modem but haven't got a
> browser -- I'm not sure but I might be able to find an old Dos version
> of Procom Plus but I'm not at all sure about that. I was wondering if an
> older version of linux would be a way to start.  Any recommendations.
> Thanks very much.
> Dave Weitz

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

     Linux will work fine, including having enough room for an office
suite like Star Office or K-Office.  You can get Linux installed on it
by several routes:  The slackware distribution has disk images for
floppies, you can download/transfer those images to floppies on another
machine.  If you can borrow a couple of NICs, you can install via NFS
from another Linux/Unix machine with the required cdrom drive and with
NFS enabled.  You can also install over the parallel or serial links,
but I don't know of any distribution that sets this up for you
"automatically".  You can temporarily move a CDROM into the machine for
the install.  If you go this route, you need to have the CDROM set as
"slave" via the dip-switches on the drive and the HD set as "master" if
you use the same IDE port.

     If the machine has small memory (say, 8 MB), you may find running
Xwindows slow.  In this case, look for a small, fast GUI rather than a
pretty, elegant GUI.  RAM and HD space are more of a limitation than the
486 speed.

Can I use linux???

Post by Harlan Grov » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> . . . Some day tho, Linux will rule the desktop...

<snip>

Maybe, but only in work situations. Linux is too secure for
home and informal, shared, noncommercial uses.

Under Win95, my kids just turn on the PC, wait until
Win95's user login dialog appears (my wife and I have
separate 'profiles'), hit the Escape key, then insert
Windows game CDs and away they go.

Until Linux becomes easy enough for the average 4-year-old
to use, don't kid yourself that consumer versions of
Windows (95 and 98) will be dying off any time soon - not
unless Mac and Be systems do the killing.

Actually, the Win95 login dialog represents a possibility
for Linux. If a stand alone machine is configured to boot
directly into X, provide a button in the GUI login dialog
for _shared_ use. A user would click on that button to
completely bypass entering login name and password and
would instead be logged in under a shared and perhaps
restricted ID. Just a thought - though that still doesn't
address CD automount/autorun.

1. It's not bad canned meat...

Thanks for your time.  We at I.S.P.O.T. (The International Society
for the Preservation Of Trees (URL http://www.local-touch.com/ISPOT/)) feel
that electronic messages are great for getting the word out while preserving
our friend the tree.  Anyway, please stop by our home page!

Thanks again!

SusieQ

2. Driver for HP printer

3. MindsEye: can't load library 'libqt.so.1'

4. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

5. Pascal compiler

6. CGI: apache canned response

7. SCO's warnings are baseless -- Red Hat

8. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

9. Canned "ping"

10. Any Canned Class code?

11. PPPD or Tin Cans: Which is Better?

12. Problem using CD in Win98 after using Linux