Partitioning withowt losing existing partitions

Partitioning withowt losing existing partitions

Post by pagliar » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 04:40:17

Hello Folks

I am thinking about installing Slackware on my HD; however, my hd has
already installed Windows 2000 Server.

Summing up i have the following configuration

* An hd of 20GB with Windows 2000 server installed on it

How can i use fdisk to create the linux partitions on this disk
without losing data?

Yours Sincerely

Rodrigo Martins Pagliares

Partitioning withowt losing existing partitions

Post by Bruce Burhan » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 04:53:03

Quote:> Hello Folks

> I am thinking about installing Slackware on my HD; however, my hd has
> already installed Windows 2000 Server.

> Summing up i have the following configuration

> * An hd of 20GB with Windows 2000 server installed on it

> How can i use fdisk to create the linux partitions on this disk
> without losing data?

> Yours Sincerely

> Rodrigo Martins Pagliares

Unless you have freespace on the drive, and knowing Windoze  you probably
don't,  then  fdisk
won't work. (cfdisk is better, by the way).  You'll
need to re-install the server leaving freespace, or
use a tool that can shrink partitions in situ,  like
partition magic,  etc.  Make backups before you
use the latter,  however.

HTH

Bruce
--
     Bellingham   Washington   USA
     bburhan1  [ AT]   earthlink  [ DOT]  net

Partitioning withowt losing existing partitions

Post by Michael Kell » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:35:57

Quote:>How can i use fdisk to create the linux partitions on this disk
>without losing data?

Before doing anything it's a good idea to go to
this site and look at the HOWTOs:

www.tldp.org

The Linux Documentation Project.
Also look for mini-HOWTOs.

These are docs put together by people
who have actually done whatever the
doc is about.  Multiple OS on one or
more drives(multi-boot) is covered in
detail.  You should see stuff about
adding Linux to existing Win2K machines.

Also if you have some offbeat disk controller
or interface look for those too.  You may
find work-arounds to get Linux installed.
It can save you a lot of aggravation fer
sure.

--

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."

    -- Groucho Marx

Partitioning withowt losing existing partitions

Quote:

----- THANKS FOR HELPING ME !!!!                ----------

----- THANKS FOR HELPING ME !!!!                ----------

Post by John Thompso » Sat, 30 Nov 2002 22:37:23

> I am thinking about installing Slackware on my HD; however, my hd has
> already installed Windows 2000 Server.

> Summing up i have the following configuration

> * An hd of 20GB with Windows 2000 server installed on it

> How can i use fdisk to create the linux partitions on this disk
> without losing data?

Unless you have free, unallocated space on the drive, you can't.  The
commercial program "Partition Magic" can non-destructively resize existing
NTFS partitions to create free space, so if you're willing to spend the
bucks, that's probably your best bet.  There are other free partition
resizing utilities available, but AFAIK none of them handle NTFS
partitions.