1. I already RTFM, but am still having problems
Any hints will be greatly appreciated!
I have the following PC --
90 MHz Pentium
Dolphin 8000 AT Series CD drive (supposedly Sony CDU31A compatible)
with a port address of 340 (not 300)
All-in-One Ethernet Card -- NE2000 compatible
Diamond/Stealth 64 DRAM SVGA card
Hmmm, what else?
I have tried to install Slackware 2.3, but am having the following troubles:
1) CD drive not recognized; I've tried bootdisks CDU31A, NET and
a couple of others, and the COLOR144 rootdisk.
2) Sometimes (depending on the permutation of bootdisks), the system
will freeze on booting -- I think this has to do with the NE2000
(with an IO port of 300), but it may be that this has disappeared
since I went to Slackware 2.3. (I've been through a LOT of iterations
with this.) In any case, I can't get the network stuff to work, other
than things like telneting to localhost.
3) It's not obvious which parameters to use to configure the X system,
but I really haven't gotten this far.
Some other info: I have a 1.2 GBytes disk which I'm using entirely for Linux --
it's in 4 partitions: a 200(?) Meg Linux native drive, to keep the cylinder
numbers low enough; a 20 Meg Linux swap partition; a 200(?) Meg partition
(DOS 16-bit) for the Linux distribution, since I can't read the CD; and a
800 (?) Meg drive which mounts under /usr. There's bit of bitching and moaning
from fdisk (Partition xx does not start on a cylinder boundary), but all the
files seem to be accessible.
I know there's a file squirreled away someplace with a record of the last boot
on it, but I've forgotten where it lives.
There are very few people at Morse (where I bought the software), and even
fewer who speak clearly. Can someone give me some clues?
Thanks in advance.
P.S. Please send e-mail, and I'll summarize
2. CGI of Apache for SUN Solaris
3. problems with minicom? (thinks i am already online?)
4. Parameters in kernel 2.2.x modules
5. Help: Am I the Only one in the world having problems installing SR5
6. Unix Vs. Windows NT Server?
7. This clone thing...am I stupid, or am I right?
9. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...
10. Am I touchy? Or am I right?
11. Am I seeing IPv5, or am I hallucinating?
12. I am buying an Ultra 5 but am lost in part numbers ....