Extend ext2 partition - is it possible?

Post by Kurt Rupprec » Thu, 13 Aug 1998 04:00:00

My 1 gig linux partition is almost full, is there a way to enlarge it
without having to delete partitions and create new one's, thereby
neccesitating a reinstall?  I am assuming that Partition Magic knows
nada about the ext2 filesystem, correctomundo?  My understanding is
that fips.exe is just for shrinking a dos partition to then create a
linux one, so this wouldn't help me.  I do have another 1 gig
partition free, and I can, of course, just use the linux fdisk, tag it
as type 83 and give it a mount point but I would rather enlarge the
partition if possible.  Thanks a bunch in advance for your help, it is
truly appreciated.

Extend ext2 partition - is it possible?

Post by Elliot Tucke » Sat, 15 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Partition Magic does know about ext2, I need to do the same thing and I
have the product, but to tell you the truth, I'm scared and IMHO so should
you be.  backup and give it a go.  tell me how you got on you brave soul
:-)

> My 1 gig linux partition is almost full, is there a way to enlarge it
> without having to delete partitions and create new one's, thereby
> neccesitating a reinstall?  I am assuming that Partition Magic knows
> nada about the ext2 filesystem, correctomundo?  My understanding is
> that fips.exe is just for shrinking a dos partition to then create a
> linux one, so this wouldn't help me.  I do have another 1 gig
> partition free, and I can, of course, just use the linux fdisk, tag it
> as type 83 and give it a mount point but I would rather enlarge the
> partition if possible.  Thanks a bunch in advance for your help, it is
> truly appreciated.

Extend ext2 partition - is it possible?

Post by Maksim No » Sun, 16 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Partition magic 3 knows about ext2, but it can't do anything with it.
Partition Magic 4 will be able to resize it, though. Unfortunately, it
doesn't seem to be out yet.
    Best of luck.
        Maksim Noy.

>Partition Magic does know about ext2, I need to do the same thing and I
>have the product, but to tell you the truth, I'm scared and IMHO so should
>you be.  backup and give it a go.  tell me how you got on you brave soul
>:-)

>> My 1 gig linux partition is almost full, is there a way to enlarge it
>> without having to delete partitions and create new one's, thereby
>> neccesitating a reinstall?  I am assuming that Partition Magic knows
>> nada about the ext2 filesystem, correctomundo?  My understanding is
>> that fips.exe is just for shrinking a dos partition to then create a
>> linux one, so this wouldn't help me.  I do have another 1 gig
>> partition free, and I can, of course, just use the linux fdisk, tag it
>> as type 83 and give it a mount point but I would rather enlarge the
>> partition if possible.  Thanks a bunch in advance for your help, it is
>> truly appreciated.

1. Extend ext2 partition - is it possible?

My 1 gig linux partition is almost full, is there a way to enlarge it
without having to delete partitions and create new one's, thereby
neccesitating a reinstall?  I am assuming that Partition Magic knows
nada about the ext2 filesystem, correctomundo?  My understanding is
that fips.exe is just for shrinking a dos partition to then create a
linux one, so this wouldn't help me.  I do have another 1 gig
partition free, and I can, of course, just use the linux fdisk, tag it
as type 83 and give it a mount point but I would rather enlarge the
partition if possible.  Thanks a bunch in advance for your help, it is
truly appreciated.

2. Connection refused

3. Is it Possible to enlarge a SWAP partition from a EXT2 partition?

4. Converting From Yggdrasil to Slackware

5. newbie: mounting ext2 extended partitions in BSD

6. KDE with Intellimouse

7. Possible Resize ext2 Partition?

8. Shuting down RedHat 5

9. Is it possible to resize and ext2 partition

10. NTFS, FAT32, ext2 multi-boot possible with Partition Magic4.0?

11. Extending an extended partition.

12. ext2 partition resize & ext2 in boot manager

13. Can Linux partitions be created on Extended DOS partition