Help on tar.gz files

Post by jor.. » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

I'm new to linux and use Redhat 5.0 together with win95.
I've downloaded a tar.gz file in win95, mounted the drive where the
file is located as a vfat filesystem.
Now when I try to unpack the file I first type gunzip filename_tar.gz
then tar -x filename_tar. After that I get a blank line and nothing
happens. Can anyone tell me how to decompress these files ?

Thanks,

Joris

Help on tar.gz files

Post by The Payne Famil » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

>I'm new to linux and use Redhat 5.0 together with win95.
>I've downloaded a tar.gz file in win95, mounted the drive where the
>file is located as a vfat filesystem.
>Now when I try to unpack the file I first type gunzip filename_tar.gz
>then tar -x filename_tar. After that I get a blank line and nothing
>happens. Can anyone tell me how to decompress these files ?

Rename the file to filename.tar.gz (mv filename_tar.gz to filename.tar.gz)
then try
    tar -xvzf filename.tar.gz
to extract the files

(
    x for eXtract
    v for Verbose
    z for ungZip
    f for get the date from a File
)

JPayne

Help on tar.gz files

Post by Roy Stogn » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

>Now when I try to unpack the file I first type gunzip filename_tar.gz
>then tar -x filename_tar. After that I get a blank line and nothing
>happens. Can anyone tell me how to decompress these files ?

In one swoop: "tar xvzf filename_tar.gz" will:
eXtract files
Verbosely,
unZipping them first,
from the File filename_tar.gz

"tar xf filename_tar.gz" will extract silently from an uncompressed
file.

"tar x filename_tar.gz" will try to extract a file named
filename_tar.gz from stdin, I believe... anyway, the use of tar
without the "f" option is pretty much restricted to tape
backup/restores.
---
Roy Stogner

Help on tar.gz files

Post by Dave Sraci » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

I had the exact same problem.  You'd think there'd be a FAQ for basic
stuff like that, ls -a, ls -l, etc.  I'm actually starting one... :-)

To answer your question, type:

tar zxpvf THEFILE.tar.gz

and it should uncompress.  Don't ask me what all the switches mean; I
don't know yet. ;-)

Type "tar --help " for more help.  (Note that that --help extension will
work on a lot of stuff)

Hope this does it for you.

-Dave

> I'm new to linux and use Redhat 5.0 together with win95.
> I've downloaded a tar.gz file in win95, mounted the drive where the
> file is located as a vfat filesystem.
> Now when I try to unpack the file I first type gunzip filename_tar.gz
> then tar -x filename_tar. After that I get a blank line and nothing
> happens. Can anyone tell me how to decompress these files ?

> Thanks,

> Joris

Help on tar.gz files

Post by Rod Bric » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

tar stands for 'tape archive'  an ancient Unix carry-over.  So you must
specify that you want to extract from a file.  You can unzip and untar
all in one step with this:

tar -zxf file.tar.gz   (or file.tgz)

Rod

--

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/brick
--

Help on tar.gz files

Post by Michael.Meng » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I had the exact same problem.  You'd think there'd be a FAQ for basic
> stuff like that, ls -a, ls -l, etc.  I'm actually starting one... :-)

> To answer your question, type:

> tar zxpvf THEFILE.tar.gz

> and it should uncompress.  Don't ask me what all the switches mean; I
> don't know yet. ;-)

> Type "tar --help " for more help.  (Note that that --help extension will
> work on a lot of stuff)

> Hope this does it for you.

> -Dave

> > I'm new to linux and use Redhat 5.0 together with win95.
> > I've downloaded a tar.gz file in win95, mounted the drive where the
> > file is located as a vfat filesystem.
> > Now when I try to unpack the file I first type gunzip filename_tar.gz
> > then tar -x filename_tar. After that I get a blank line and nothing
> > happens. Can anyone tell me how to decompress these files ?

> > Thanks,

> > Joris

the Tar Options most used mean

f <filename>: The fiele Tar should use (has to be the last argument)
x:            extract files from Tararchiev
c:            creat new archiev
z:            compress with gnuzip

Help on tar.gz files

Post by William Pa » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

: I'm new to linux and use Redhat 5.0 together with win95.
: I've downloaded a tar.gz file in win95, mounted the drive where the
: file is located as a vfat filesystem.
: Now when I try to unpack the file I first type gunzip filename_tar.gz
: then tar -x filename_tar. After that I get a blank line and nothing
: happens. Can anyone tell me how to decompress these files ?

: Thanks,

: Joris

Tar accepts filename with -f option, so the correct syntax is
    tar -xf filename_tar
.
--

Help on tar.gz files

Post by Jürgen Exne » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Using the command "tar -x filename_tar" you are trying to extract the file
"filename_tar" from the archive on the default input device, which is most
likely your first SCSI tape streamer.
You don't have a SCSI tape streamer? Well, that explains the missing output.

You have to use the option "f" to tell tar, that you want to use a file as
archive. Details see "man tar".

jue
--
Jrgen Exner; jurgenex AT microsoft.com
Sorry for this anti-spam inconvenience

>I'm new to linux and use Redhat 5.0 together with win95.
>I've downloaded a tar.gz file in win95, mounted the drive where the
>file is located as a vfat filesystem.
>Now when I try to unpack the file I first type gunzip filename_tar.gz
>then tar -x filename_tar. After that I get a blank line and nothing
>happens. Can anyone tell me how to decompress these files ?

>Thanks,

>Joris

1. help copying large .tar and .tar.gz files

not sure if this is quite the correct forum, but it's fairly close and
i've gotten some real good help so far here :)

i have an old x486 desktop, and an even older x486 laptop, both
running linux.  the laptop's hard drive is making spooky noises, so
i've backed up lotsa files into a few .tar.gz files.  i would like to
copy those files over to my 'new' computer.

1.)  if i put several .tar.gz files into directory 'bkup', does it
make sense to 'tar -czf bkup.tar.gz' or maybe 'tar -cf bkup.tar' ?

2.)  how do i 'cp' a 16+ megabyte .tar or .tar.gz file onto floppies?

i was thinking of using two floppies.  turn on both machines, and just
rotate them around. copy part of the .tar file onto floppy 'a', then
put floppy 'a' into the second machine, while floppy 'b' gets more
files, if that makes sense. or maybe just use one floppy, that might
be less confusing.

any ideas?  can i use a serial cable somehow?

2. printing under ghostview

3. How does one compres files in this .tar.gz .Z and .tar.Z

4. Wintrolls chance to help!

5. tarzfaq.txt What are and how to handle tar.Z and tar.gz files

6. MKLinux IP Masq

7. Can tar add files to .tar.gz archives ?

8. Delays and timeouts when telnetting to random open ports?

9. Help!!How to extract tar.gz file??

10. Upgrade tar.gz files Q - help????????

11. HELP NEED on how to uncompress .tar.gz file

12. how .tar.gz files can be used for upgrading or installation of a package???

13. DECOMPRESSING TAR.GZ FILES