Linux illiterate

Post by ADAM BROO » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I am VERY sorry to say that I am linux illiterate.  I own a UNIX shell
account, so I know how to move around and do a few things, but I'd like to
be "fluent" in linux, and get rid of this damn DOS and WIN stuff for good.
I've got a few linux books I'm reading, and I hope to take some classes
somewhere soon.  I heard from a friend that linux is freeware, and I was
very surprised.  Is he right about that?  If so where can I download it,
and see how it runs on my system?  I also heard that it takes up about 400
megs to get the full install.  If you know where to D\L linux from, or
preferably if you know where I can call to get a copy of it, please
respond and let me know.  I'm also interested on information on Slackware
and Big Red Hat.  I heard a little about them from Comdex, but I'd like to
know more.  If you can help please, feel free to fill up my young
vulnerable mind with linux, before I am brainwashed by all of the MS

Thanks, Adam
Adam Brooks                    |    Visit my web sites at:
Advanced Technologies Academy  |      http://coyote.accessnv.com/fmathews/
Systems Technology Support     |      http://coyote.accessnv.com/fmathews/

Linux illiterate

Post by Massimo Campostrin » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I am VERY sorry to say that I am linux illiterate.
> I've got a few linux books I'm reading, and I hope to take some
> classes somewhere soon.

You will learn, Linux is not that hard if you are willing to RTFM and
to experiment.

Quote:> I heard from a friend that linux is freeware, and I was very
> surprised.  Is he right about that?

Even better, Linux is "copylefted" under the "GNU public license"; you
can read it at http://www.gnu.ai.mit.edu/copyleft/gpl.html

Quote:> If so where can I download it, and see how it runs on my system?  I
> also heard that it takes up about 400 megs to get the full install.

With 400M you will get EVERYTHING, including WWW, News and FTP
servers.  You can trim it down to 250M for personal use.

Quote:> If you know where to D\L linux from, or preferably if you know where
> I can call to get a copy of it, please respond and let me know.  I'm
> also interested on information on Slackware and Big Red Hat.

See "Where to find Linux" at http://www.ssc.com/linux/ftp.html.  You
should get Linux packaged as a distribution.  I like Red Hat, see
http://www.redhat.com/.  They sell a complete distribution plus some
commercial add-ons (on CDs) for 50$.  You can also download it (but
it's quite big) or get a cheaper CD without the commercial add-ons;
you are free to install this on as many machines as you like (your
friends, too).

--
        Massimo Campostrini,
Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare, Sezione di Pisa.

1. Are Linux people illiterate?

A WHOLE bunch of typos at the Linux documentation project!

From http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO-5.html

"The bilt in Linux firewall..."

"...new firewall utility with more feachers"

How is this for an incomplete sentence including typos!

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO-6.html

"Because most distributions don't dome with a kernel usefull to your
perpose."

Or this;

"You need to turning off any unneeded services."

"This script will count ever packet"

And the printed book "Running Linux" (3rd Edition mind you) has typos..

Check page 47, "If this is the cas, it should be explicity stated on
the package"

--- I mean really,, what a bunch of retards! You all spent so much time
geeking that you never acquired spelling and grammar skills?   Well..
rest my case, the real world will ever take Linux seriously.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. PARIS INGéNIEUR SYSTèME UNIX SOLARIS/NT **URGENT** 67961

3. Complete Unix Illiterate

4. Cdrom RS600

5. "Mother" == "computer-illiterate"

6. ttyS? ??

7. Complete Unix Illiterate

8. nohup command

9. My users are "illiterate!"

10. Unix illiterate here

11. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

12. uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux

13. Linux in Linux in Linux in