Any UPS recommendations ?

Post by Ramin Sin » Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

Quote:>From what I understood from the UPS howtos, they are not very up to

date. I was wondering if anyone is using APC for UPS, and if yes which
one and what kind of software it comes with and what else I need to
secure. I am also hoping to hear suggestions for other UPS systems. I
have a pentium machine running Red Hat 4.2.

Thanks,
Ramin

 Institute   for   Physical   Science   and   Technology
 University of Maryland   College Park  Maryland   20742
 Voice (301) 405 4852                 Fax (301) 314 9363

Any UPS recommendations ?

Post by ELUG » Thu, 25 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> >From what I understood from the UPS howtos, they are not very up to
> date. I was wondering if anyone is using APC for UPS, and if yes which
> one and what kind of software it comes with and what else I need to
> secure. I am also hoping to hear suggestions for other UPS systems. I
> have a pentium machine running Red Hat 4.2.

Most affordable UPS for primarily

your CPU and monitor would be APC's

Back-UPS 400.  It also has a port

available to utilize utilities like

"Powerchute" to provide a safe

unnatented shutdown in the event of

a powerfailure.  Check out APC's

website at http://www.apcc.com !
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
RH Linux 5.0 (2.0.32)

FAX:+1-352-589-1769
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Any UPS recommendations ?

Post by Michael Stut » Mon, 29 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> > >From what I understood from the UPS howtos, they are not very up to
> > date. I was wondering if anyone is using APC for UPS, and if yes which
> > one and what kind of software it comes with and what else I need to
> > secure. I am also hoping to hear suggestions for other UPS systems. I
> > have a pentium machine running Red Hat 4.2.

I would recommend the "Fortress" series by Best Power. Very well-supported
by Linux (check bestpower.com, the company supports Linux, while others --
like APC -- does not), and good quality. A little more expensive than the
ever-pervasive APC units, but, well, you get what you pay for.

--
Michael Stutz  .  http://dsl.org/m/  .  copyright disclaimer etc

Any UPS recommendations ?

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 29 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Hi all,

>>From what I understood from the UPS howtos, they are not very up to
>date. I was wondering if anyone is using APC for UPS, and if yes which
>one and what kind of software it comes with and what else I need to
>secure. I am also hoping to hear suggestions for other UPS systems. I
>have a pentium machine running Red Hat 4.2.

>Thanks,
>Ramin

I am using a TrippLite Internet 450 which unfortunately does not have
a serial port to monitor status.  Supposedly their versions with
serial port have monitoring programs for UNIX, but I am not sure if it
is Linux specific.

I did have trouble with it not turning on or inadvertantly kicking
into power fail mode, but it was promptly replaced under the 2 year
warranty and I never lost power to the computer while it was on.

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

Any UPS recommendations ?

Post by Gregory Greenma » Tue, 30 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> >Hi all,

> >>From what I understood from the UPS howtos, they are not very up to
> >date. I was wondering if anyone is using APC for UPS, and if yes which
> >one and what kind of software it comes with and what else I need to
> >secure. I am also hoping to hear suggestions for other UPS systems. I
> >have a pentium machine running Red Hat 4.2.

> >Thanks,
> >Ramin

Ramin,

  I am using an APC Smart-UPS 700 with Powerchute Plus for UNIX.
I obtained the Powerchute Plus for SCO software from APC and I
run it on a Linux Slackware 3.3 system under iBCS2.

It works fine - I can use the X version of the user interface,
xpowerchute, and it gives a nice color graphical display of
battery capacity, UPS runtime, utility voltage, and UPS load.

It logs power events, tests the UPS and can, of course, shutdown the
system.

[The only trick to running this software is to set DISPLAY to
 localhost so that the GUI can communicate with the screen via
 the network connection - iBCS2 does not support direct console I/O]

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Any UPS recommendations ?

Post by William Juli » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>>Hi all,

>>>From what I understood from the UPS howtos, they are not very up to
>>date. I was wondering if anyone is using APC for UPS, and if yes which
>>one and what kind of software it comes with and what else I need to
>>secure. I am also hoping to hear suggestions for other UPS systems. I
>>have a pentium machine running Red Hat 4.2.

>>Thanks,
>>Ramin

> I am using a TrippLite Internet 450 which unfortunately does not have
> a serial port to monitor status.  Supposedly their versions with
> serial port have monitoring programs for UNIX, but I am not sure if it
> is Linux specific.

I bought a tripplite from VA Research. It came with the cable to connect
to a serial port and full instructions on how to get it working. I found
the tech support at VA Research informative and willing to help. see...

http://www.varesearch.com

--
         _,'|            _.-''``-...___..--';
        /, \'.      _..-' ,      ,--...--'''

  __...--''     __...--_..'  .;.'  http://www.catmanor.com/moonbeam/
 (,__....----'''      (,..--''
 vi is my shepherd; i shall not font.

1. UPS Recommendations

The latest power failure has put me on a quest--a quest for UPSen,
and monitoring software for them, that I can *trust*.  I've got
some network stuff and some Solaris boxes that need a bit more
uptime on UPS.

We're presently heavily-invested in APC product, but their hardware
and/or software has let us down several times.  So I'm thinking
of trying someone new this time.

[In the latest incident: the MX-5000 shut down after 10 minutes
 of power outage--rather than when there was 10 minutes of battery
 remaining.  And one of the SmartUPS 1400's simply died.  (Two
 years old, it is :-(.  I've gotta replace that one quickly.)]

Any recommendations based on *experience*?  Preferably experience
in a high-outage-rate location?  (We're across from a power sub-
station - that's part of the reason that our environment is so
harsh.)  Preferably experience with multiple units, and vendors,
over at least a couple of years so?

Thanks,
Jim
--
Jim Seymour                         | Medar, Inc.

Systems & Network Administrator     | Farmington Hills, MI. 48335-1563
                                    | FAX: (810)615-2971

2. public domain ksh sources - where ?

3. APC's Online UPS recommendation?

4. network/interrupt cpu accounting question

5. UPS recommendations

6. Hard disk error

7. UPS recommendation

8. MS-Busmouse & selection

9. UPS Recommendations wanted

10. UPS Recommendation

11. Any UPS recommendations? (that support the rs/6000)

12. UPS recommendations?

13. UPS recommendations for 208V RS6K equipment