problems with netscape and my Debian box

problems with netscape and my Debian box

Post by Chris Stol » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello,
I'm running Debian 2.0 and am having a really difficult time getting netscape
to run. The problem is that when I try to run the netscape executable, I get:

"can't load library libXt.so.6"

After searching on the net, I found someone else who had the same problem, and
they were advised to do ldconfig. I tried this to no avail. Also, I'm sure
that the actual library as well as the soft links are in place. Does anyone
have a suggestion? Could it be the version of netscape that I'm using? (I
tried two different ones...)

Thank you in advance for any help,
Chris Stolte

Post by J.H.M. Dassen (R » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I'm running Debian 2.0 and am having a really difficult time getting netscape
>to run. The problem is that when I try to run the netscape executable, I get:

>"can't load library libXt.so.6"

Have you tried using the netscape installer package available in the
"contrib" section of Debian archives? It ensures you have all the libc5
libraries installed that the libc5 version of netscape needs.

HTH,
Ray
--
*space, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go

Post by Dan Nguye » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

:>I'm running Debian 2.0 and am having a really difficult time getting netscape
:>to run. The problem is that when I try to run the netscape executable, I get:
:>
:>"can't load library libXt.so.6"

: Have you tried using the netscape installer package available in the
: "contrib" section of Debian archives? It ensures you have all the libc5
: libraries installed that the libc5 version of netscape needs.

Yuck, libc5.  You can download a libc6 (aka glibc2) from the netscape
ftp site.  Its in the unsupported section.

--
           Dan Nguyen            | There is only one happiness in

http://www.cse.msu.edu/~nguyend7 |                   -George Sand

problems with netscape and my Debian box

Post by Jan Thomse » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

You can fix the problem with the missing library by setting the environment
variable
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/X11R6/lib
This is where the library in question is located (if you installed it)

However, that will not do the trick.   It still crashes with a segmentation fault.

Any good ideas ?

Regards
Jan Thomsen
Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen