telnet/ftp/mosaic for mac, using linux as a proxy server?

telnet/ftp/mosaic for mac, using linux as a proxy server?

Post by ken.. » Mon, 20 Jun 1994 00:30:08

Ok - here's my deal - first of all, this is what I have:

        Compudyne Pentium Tower, running linux 1.0.8
        (I think), and using a PPP link to the internet
        (single IP number only).

        My girlfriend's father's mac, which will have ethernet,

        My girlfriend's father - who desires to get onto the net
        through his mac.

We are considering a low scale LAN between my pentium and his mac (macs
can support straight ethernet, right?).  He will probably need a 'local'
ip number, in order to be able to connect to my linux box, etc... however,
he can NOT connect outisde of my machine, directly (I only have the one
ip number via PPP, and would probably lose my account for advertising as
a router over it - 'sides, it's only a 14.4 (but compressed ;)), so, what
I need, is something that would run on my linux box, that when my gf's
father wanted to, say telnet from his mac, his telnet program would actually
connect to the daemon running on my linux box, which would then go and
make the connection to the outside world - so that my linux box acts
kinda like a filter (is this what a proxy server is?).  Bascially, he wants
to do telnet, ftp, news, etc...  any ideas?  What will I need?  My budget
is VERY limited right now, so freeware would be preferred.  I guess I would
need something for his mac that would run tcp/ip (oh - we also want to run
NFS - to share one of my partitions between my machine and his - can that be
done, for a minor amount of money?), as well as these versions of ftp, etc all
that would filter through my machine.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

ps. email or responses to comp.os.linux.misc preferred, I don't have time
    to read a number of newsgroups, since I'm working a fulltime job, a
    partime one, a number of contracts, etc.... and most of what happens in
    the mac newsgroup is irrelavent to me (my work involves unix/netware)

--
-----------.,------Coming-soon-to-a-PhD-Program-near-you-----.,--Carpe-Diem---
Ethernet is||Daniel Garcia - ATP Group - LLNL Gigabit Testbed||AntiClipperCens

1. Using a Mac as CVS server, Linux and Mac clients

I need a CVS repository for source control.  Builds are for both Linux
and Mac OS X (10.2), so my idea was to setup a repository on a Mac box,
then access it remotely from the Linux environment, but I'm having no luck.

I'm on a small lan - I've given each box a unique IP address.
I can ping the Mac from Linux.
I can open an ssh session from Linux on the Mac.
I can't rcp files (Connection refused).  Any other network operations
result in Connection refused.
I can see the Mac, and the files under my account from my Windows XP box.

I've turned on all the sharing stuff (system settings, sharing) on the Mac.
I don't really have a clue what I doing.  Can anybody point me to a
resource for this kind of information?

Mick.

2. NIS/YP-password is *

3. Using an outside proxy server form behind a proxy server

4. netscape ftp & linux RH

5. any Telnet and FTP program support proxy server ??

6. SLiRP for SCO UNIX

7. Software for FTP or TELNET that can use a PROXY server?

8. Welcome to comp.unix.programmer (v1.11)

9. FTP cache server for linux FTP proxy?

10. Using FTP client through a Proxy server

11. Want Linux to USE a proxy server not BE a proxy server

12. Server IP restricted for using Telnet or ftp

13. Cannot telnet and ftp to the server using real IP Under Redhat7.2,