How can I stop KDE from running?

Post by Fantom » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 07:08:57

I have SUSE 8.0 installed. XWindows and KDE are installed by default.
The problem is that I would like to boot linux in pure command prompt,
that is without starting a Shell like KDE or XFree86. But XFree86
starts automaticly. How can I configure linux so that XFree86 starts
mannualy, so I can have pure command prompt? I am a complete newbie to
linux so any help will be very appreciated. THANX!

Post by Ian Northeas » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 07:42:17

> I have SUSE 8.0 installed. XWindows and KDE are installed by default.
> The problem is that I would like to boot linux in pure command prompt,
> that is without starting a Shell like KDE or XFree86.

KDE is a desktop environment, XFree86 is an X server. Shells are things
like bash, csh, ksh.. they provide the command prompt you are looking
for.

Quote:> But XFree86
> starts automaticly. How can I configure linux so that XFree86 starts
> mannualy, so I can have pure command prompt? I am a complete newbie to
> linux so any help will be very appreciated. THANX!

Change the value in the initdefault line in /etc/inittab from 5 to 3.

Regards, Ian

1. How to stop [1] + Stopped (tty input) message and let prog run

Hello all,

I run my c-shell script in the background and it keeps
giving
[1] + Stopped (tty input)
and the script stops running. However there is no input required at all
and the output is redirected to a file.
The script runs for few iterations and then displays the above message.

Any idea what could be wrong?

thanks,

Atul

2. Date arithmetic

3. Need KDE help. KDE keeps stopping

4. Apache overload.

5. Heres how to install KDE 2 on RH7 with KDE 1.x still running.

6. gcc-2.8.1 Solaris 7 intel package

7. update kde background while kde is running

8. problem with modules (modutils) and 2.5.31 kernel

9. KDE and RedHat 6.1 - KDE doesn't run?

10. It's not bad canned meat...

11. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

12. CGI: apache canned response