Informix Online: Shared Memory Problem (Linux)

Informix Online: Shared Memory Problem (Linux)

Post by Michael Faur » Sun, 02 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I'm trying to get a version of Informix Online v5.01 working with Linux
kernel v1.2.10.  I have a working version of iBCS and I have System V
IPC built into my kernel.

I know my iBCS emulation is working correctly because I can run an
older version of Informix (v2.10) with it just fine.

My problem is this:

After going through the various initialization steps with tbmonitor
I go to try to bring up the engine.  I get the following error
message:

        Unable to attach to shared memory
        Invalid argument

Informix was able to create a shared memory segment as evidenced by
running ipcs:

------ Shared Memory Segments --------
shmid     owner     perms     bytes     nattch    status
1536      informix  660       573440    0

------ Semaphore Arrays --------
semid     owner     perms     nsems     status

------ Message Queues --------
msqid     owner     perms     used-bytes  messages

At this point tbmonitor shows the engine to be offline, even though it
was able to create this shared memory area.  Any attempts to check up
on things, like with a "tbstat -" produce the following:

        tbstat: cannot attach to shared memory, errno = 22

The "errno = 22" is the same as above (Invalid argument).

I tried running a trace of the iBCS stuff when this happens, and have a
log of it.  However I don't know how to read this myself.  I think there
may be a problem when the engine is attempting to do a shmat() call, but
that's just a wild guess on my part.  If anyone can help out I can send
a copy of the log file when this happened to help in the debugging.

Is anyone successfully running Informix OnLine with Linux?

Thanks!
--
+--------------------+----------------------------+--------------------------+

|   ------- ------   |                            |      lima beans!!        |
+--------------------+----------------------------+--------------------------+

Informix Online: Shared Memory Problem (Linux)

Post by gerha.. » Tue, 04 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

+--------------------+----------------------------+--------------------------+

> |   ------- ------   |                            |      lima beans!!

+--------------------+----------------------------+--------------------------+
If you have Online running under SCO you can sove the problem
by

a)  increasing the size of the shared memory. ONLINE comes with a file
$INFORMIXDIR/release/ONL5_.? specifying the kernel parameters, Online
requires.

b)  reducing the number of buffers alloced by ONLINE

Good Luck

Gerhard

Post by John R. Campbe » Thu, 06 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>writes:
>> Is anyone successfully running Informix OnLine with Linux?
>If you have Online running under SCO you can sove the problem
>by
>a)  increasing the size of the shared memory. ONLINE comes with a file
>$INFORMIXDIR/release/ONL5_.? specifying the kernel parameters, Online
>requires.
>b)  reducing the number of buffers alloced by ONLINE

*NOW* I remember.  I *KNOW* SCO has a limit on the total amount of
shared memory.  If I recall aright, Linux has an equivalent parameter.

I'll have to think about this...

(God!  Now I'm beginning to sound like Deep Thought!)

Another item I've heard indicates that a new C-TAR (Net?) can handle
InformSux DBSpaces "properly".

 John R. Campbell, Speaker to Machines            | Grace is sufficient;

 snail: 1438 SchoolHouse Road, Perkasie, PA 18944 |      - Heather Campbell

Informix Online: Shared Memory Problem (Linux)

Post by Michael Faur » Thu, 06 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:: writes:

: >
: > Is anyone successfully running Informix OnLine with Linux?
                                                        ^^^^^

: If you have Online running under SCO you can sove the problem
: by

I'm trying to make this work under Linux by way of it's iBCS emulation
for COFF binaries and not under SCO, although it is SCO executables I'm
using.

: a)  increasing the size of the shared memory. ONLINE comes with a file
: $INFORMIXDIR/release/ONL5_.? specifying the kernel parameters, Online
: requires.
: b)  reducing the number of buffers alloced by ONLINE

I did try reducing the number of buffers and the shared memory
requirements, but it did not help.  I believe there's a problem in the
way the iBCS emulation is handling the calls to shared memory by
OnLine, but I'm not enough of kernel hacker to really know for sure.

--
+--------------------+----------------------------+--------------------------+

|   ------- ------   |                            |      lima beans!!        |
+--------------------+----------------------------+--------------------------+

Post by Mike Jagdi » Thu, 06 Jul 1995 04:00:00

MF> I did try reducing the number of buffers and the shared memory
MF> requirements, but it did not help.  I believe there's a
MF> problem in the
MF> way the iBCS emulation is handling the calls to shared
MF> memory by
MF> OnLine, but I'm not enough of kernel hacker to really know
MF> for sure.

You have, of course, got the latest iBCS *and* the patch that fixes some IPC
problems from tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/BETA/ibcs2 haven't you?

                                Mike

Post by Michael Faur » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: You have, of course, got the latest iBCS *and* the patch that fixes
: some IPC problems from tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/BETA/ibcs2 haven't
: you?

I wasn't aware they'd been updated recently (well April).  I got a
copy of what appeared to be the latest version and built those for my
v1.2.10  kernel and it looks like that solved my problems.  Informix
Online v5.01 seems to be working now.

Thanks!
--
+--------------------+----------------------------+--------------------------+

|   ------- ------   |                            |      lima beans!!        |
+--------------------+----------------------------+--------------------------+

1. migration from informix online 5.0 to informix dynamic server 7.31 base on aix

hello everyone !

    Now I have a project that do I need migration from informix online 5.0
to informix dynamic server 7.31 on my rs6000 .And informix online 5.0 is
running on a H50 on which is aix3.2.4 ,it should be migrated to informix
dynamic server 7.3.1 is running on a S85 on which is aix4.3.3 .I don't know
what do I think about the migration .Who can help me or advise me ?For
example : H50-->S85 ,AIX3.2.4-->AIX4.3.3 ,informix online5.0-->informix
dynamic server 7.3.1 ,Application on Client/Server ,used facilities and
etc..

thank you very much !

2. restricted proxy access in CERN httpd

3. Solaris 10: Increasing the process data space; shared memory segments & intimate shared memory problems

4. looking for good book, without all the nonsene

5. SCO/informix shared memory init

6. Cann't load dummy.o

7. shared memory error with informix on SUN

8. NIS+, dumping

9. INFORMIX-OnLine 7.1 problem

10. Problem animating MFCOBOL ESQL w/ Informix Online

11. shared mem./malloc() problem while using Informix

12. Does Informix Online work in iBCS

13. Informix On-Line 5.0 & AIX 3.2.2