Arcade Games

Post by Captain Dond » Mon, 24 Jun 2002 20:14:18

I am looking for simple non-* arcade games - things like car races.
 This is for little kids (2-5) to do on rainy days.

I've found three - SpeedX, Search and Rescue, and acm.  Unfortunately,
none of those seem to work; acm pukes with an error message, SpeedX
segfaults, and S&R does not respond at all to any keyboard/joystick/mouse
input.

I've tried compiling from source as well - no joy.  Compile errors due to
differend headers, undefined vars, etc.

So - any simple arcade games out there?

Thanks,

--Yan

Arcade Games

Post by Tom » Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:47:10

> I am looking for simple non-* arcade games - things like car races.
>  This is for little kids (2-5) to do on rainy days.

> I've found three - SpeedX, Search and Rescue, and acm.  Unfortunately,
> none of those seem to work; acm pukes with an error message, SpeedX
> segfaults, and S&R does not respond at all to any keyboard/joystick/mouse
> input.

> I've tried compiling from source as well - no joy.  Compile errors due to
> differend headers, undefined vars, etc.

> So - any simple arcade games out there?

> Thanks,

> --Yan

Tux Racer:    http://www.veryComputer.com/

Tux Kart:    http://www.veryComputer.com/

Arcade Games

Post by Robert Helle » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 00:03:11

  In a message on Sun, 23 Jun 2002 07:14:18 -0400, wrote :

CD> I am looking for simple non-* arcade games - things like car races.
CD>  This is for little kids (2-5) to do on rainy days.
CD>
CD> I've found three - SpeedX, Search and Rescue, and acm.  Unfortunately,
CD> none of those seem to work; acm pukes with an error message, SpeedX
CD> segfaults, and S&R does not respond at all to any keyboard/joystick/mouse
CD> input.

For something *really* simple and *very* robust, try Tux Goes Fising:
<http://www.veryComputer.com/~heller/Workshop/TuxGoesFishing.tar.gz>.
Not a car race exactly.  Not multiplayer either.  Just some simple fish
moving back and forth, with a hungry penguin named Tux (you know who I
mean) looking for a meal (Tux is under control of the mouse). Written
entirely in Tcl/Tk.  Just install Tcl/Tk on your Linux (or ANY UNIX
box), edit the first line of the file (to point to the wish executable)
and there you are.  (It will work under MS-Windows and MacOS, except
without Tux (who gets replaced with a boring arrow or finger or
something due to lack of support for X11-style bitmaped cursor support
for Tcl/Tk under non-X11 systems).

The *only* thing that Tux Goes Fising lacks is an interface to audio.
Right now it displays a *text* message whenever Tux gets a fish.
*Someone* with a sound card, a mike, a good speaking voice, and a bit
of knowledge of shell access to playing sound files should be able to
add this.  The audio part would of course be needed for pre-literate
kids.  Otherwise I believe that this 'game' should be quite the ticket
for little kids, even would out audio 'feedback'.  Lots of hand-eye
coordination involved in 'chasing' the fish with the mouse cursor (aka
Tux) -- just the thing to keep a kid busy for hours...

While it is not *exactly* a non-* car race, xbill is available
with most linux distros and seems to be quite robust.  (xbill is a bit
propaganda oriented, involving 'mashing' a hacker named 'Bill' who is
intent on spreading a certain operat..., er virus that turns computers
into toasters.) xboing (fancy break-out game from Australia) also works
well (you might want to kill the sound -- the boys "Down Under"
included some interesting language that might not be appropriate for small
children with the sound effects).

I have two card-based solitaire games, 7-card gin rummy (two player),
and a version of 5 card cold hand poker working as pure Tcl/Tk scripts.
Don't know if any of your 2-5 years would have any interest in any of
these.  Let me know and I'll make them available for download.

--
                                     \/

http://www.veryComputer.com/              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

Arcade Games

Post by cricqu » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:43:22

you can also search on freshmeat for some Nintendo Emulation software
you can find the games here & there also :)

Quote:> I am looking for simple non-* arcade games - things like car races.
>  This is for little kids (2-5) to do on rainy days.

> I've found three - SpeedX, Search and Rescue, and acm.  Unfortunately,
> none of those seem to work; acm pukes with an error message, SpeedX
> segfaults, and S&R does not respond at all to any keyboard/joystick/mouse
> input.

> I've tried compiling from source as well - no joy.  Compile errors due to
> differend headers, undefined vars, etc.

> So - any simple arcade games out there?

> Thanks,

> --Yan

Arcade Games

Post by Dave Pimlot » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 00:59:24

> I am looking for simple non-* arcade games - things like car races.
>  This is for little kids (2-5) to do on rainy days.

> I've found three - SpeedX, Search and Rescue, and acm.  Unfortunately,
> none of those seem to work; acm pukes with an error message, SpeedX
> segfaults, and S&R does not respond at all to any keyboard/joystick/mouse
> input.

> I've tried compiling from source as well - no joy.  Compile errors due to
> differend headers, undefined vars, etc.

> So - any simple arcade games out there?

> Thanks,

> --Yan

M.A.M.E might be worth a try... mame.dk for info and the emulator binary
/ source, games (ROMs) available at various places.

Dave

1. Tuxracer Arcade game???

A friend of mine got me into a major amusement park convention in Orlando
today.  While wandering the floor filled with VR systems, mini-roller
coasters, rock climbing walls, and salespeople, I came upon a tuxracer
arcade cabinet.  It seemed seemed a little on the beta side, but all the
levels that were playable were not the stock levels.  I have never played
the "pro" version, but it didn't look as polished as the new screenshots
on their site.
        Believe it or not, I couldn't find a suit to tell me more about the game
and what the story was.
        Any legality problems here?  Any one else seen this beast?

-Paul

2. Can perl be used to prepend to a file?

3. ANNOUNCE: new port available for xmame 0.27.1, an arcade game machine emulator

4. Applications don't recognize PPP connection

5. Sasteroids v1.0 release (vga arcade game)

6. Can I siglongjmp under linux?

7. Wanted: AXP (pref UDB) tester for SVGAlib arcade game

8. installation of XFree86

9. Making clones of arcade games, what is legal?

10. Games and 'game mode indeterminate'

11. based games: looking for a game like that

12. Games? Who cares about games?

13. GAME: Final Battle multiplayer space game for X