Help with S3 Virge under Linux

Post by Nicholas Brig » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I've been having trouble with my video card under Linux. I've tried
XFree86, the Accelerated-X 4.1 demo, and sQuake, which uses svgalib,
and none of them are able to recognize my graphics card. I have a
Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 with an S3 Virge chip, which I've heard is
very well supported. I don't believe this is a hardware problem, since
my graphics run fine under Windows 95. I don't think I have a bad PCI
bios, since I bought my computer in the last 6 months.

The basic problem is this: whenever I try to start one of the X
servers, the server will go down without an error message. In sQuake,
svgalib will report that it can't recognize my card. Without any sort
of hint about the problem from these programs, I don't know how to fix
the problem. Is there support for graphics that you have to compile
into the kernal (I have 2.0.29)? Or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nicholas Briggs

Help with S3 Virge under Linux

Post by Phil DeBecke » Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Make sure you're running X 3.3.1 and SVGAlib 1.2.11.  These support the
ViRGE chip.  AFAIK you shouldn't actually have any problem running
squake in low-res modes (320x200) with a ViRGE, even with SVGAlib
1.2.10.

-Phil

Post by Marcel van Osenbrugg » Fri, 26 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Make sure you're running X 3.3.1

Hmm, I don't know if versions of XF86_S3V prior to version 3.3.1 did or did not
work. I bought my S3 card when i already had 3.3.1 . But then again. it works
like a charm...

Quote:>and SVGAlib 1.2.11.  These support the
>ViRGE chip.  AFAIK you shouldn't actually have any problem running
>squake in low-res modes (320x200) with a ViRGE, even with SVGAlib
>1.2.10.

And you can even run Quake in mode 10... I have this in my libvga.config :
chipset S3 0 4096
Ramdac S3DAC

When I used the Ramdac GENDAC setting svgalib progs only ran in 320x200
properly.

Quote:>> I've been having trouble with my video card under Linux. I've tried
>> XFree86, the Accelerated-X 4.1 demo, and sQuake, which uses svgalib,
>> and none of them are able to recognize my graphics card. I have a
>> Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 with an S3 Virge chip,

Maybe the Diamond card behaves a little different...

1. S3 ViRGE/DX and S3 ViRGE/GX: is one better than the other?

On a friend's recommendation, I ordered an S3 ViRGE/DX video card for
the PC I am putting together. I received an S3 ViRGE/GX card instead.

Is one better than the other in general? Is one more compatible with
XFree86? Or are the two roughly the same, so that I should just keep
the GX card?

Thanks for your input,

Mike Decerbo

617-873-4443

2. PKG_CONFIG_PATH problem

3. S3 ViRGE/VX boards (was Re: Virge dotclocks - DS3D 2000 or 3000?)

4. Possible bug in ext3 versus filter drivers in 2.4.18-3, 2.4.18-14 and 2.4.20.

5. Need help with 4MB S3 Virge GX2 AGP video under linux and X.

6. gcc for Windoze

7. S3 S3 S3 X X X S3 S3 S3

8. fork() process interleaving question.

9. Help needed for S3 ViRGE/GX2

10. Help !!! S3 Virge GX2 Color problem

11. help: S3 Virge & Slackware 3.0 (kernel 1.2.13)?

12. Help please: Using AGP S3 Viewtop Virge instead of PCI

13. Help with S3 ViRGE/XFree setup!