Help network card problems

Post by fathu » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Help i have been trying to get linux to see my network cards
but i havent been successfull
i have tried to add them to lilo
move them around in the computer (diffent slots)
but they will not come up i anyone has a suggestion please feel free.
thankx
PS I am also trying to figure out how to get a linux server to let me see my
computers
at my office throught network neiborhood from a win95 computer
(if that made any sence) if so what would be the way to do that

Help network card problems

Post by Krzys Majewsk » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

For the first problem, read the Ethernet-HOWTO.
For the second, I think the solution may be Samba, but I'm not sure.
good luck
-chris

Help network card problems

Post by William R. Matt » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>Help i have been trying to get linux to see my network cards
>but i havent been successfull
>i have tried to add them to lilo
>move them around in the computer (diffent slots)
>but they will not come up i anyone has a suggestion please feel free.
>thankx
>PS I am also trying to figure out how to get a linux server to let me see my
>computers
>at my office throught network neiborhood from a win95 computer
>(if that made any sence) if so what would be the way to do that

This probably because your version won't support parameters passed via lilo
unless ....... UNLESS support is compiled into the kernel. Try installing
the driver as a module.

/etc/conf.modules

man insmod will provide some details

here is my conf.modules:

alias scsi_hostadapter BusLogic
alias eth0 3c503

yours will most likely be different. :^) Otherwise you can compile a new
kernel with support for your NIC then pass parameters via LILO.

BTW a search on dejanews would have turned up at least 50 similar
postings. Not too mention that this question should have been posted to
comp.os.linux.networking ...

Regards

Bill
--
William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.

(972) 399-4106          | and... in high heels.