Alright.. A complete Newbie here..

Post by Dav » Sun, 22 Sep 1996 04:00:00

hiya folks. I am a complete newbie to linux. I want to learn it, and
learn how it works. I have a Cyrix based PC <6x86>, and was wondering
what is the best version for me to start with, and where to get it.
Thanks for your time!!

Post by Bob Gibs » Sun, 22 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: hiya folks. I am a complete newbie to linux. I want to learn it, and
: learn how it works. I have a Cyrix based PC <6x86>, and was wondering
: what is the best version for me to start with, and where to get it.
: Thanks for your time!!

Dave:
  I would suggest that you start at a bookstore, and look for one
of the Linux Unleashed books.  I happened to choose the RedHad
(mostly becasue of the number of positive comments associated
with its installation).
Good Luck
Bob

| Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any |
| form, in whole or in part without license.  License to distribute    |
| this work is available to Microsoft at $500.  Transmission without   |
| permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.                  |
|     Permission is hereby granted to duplicate this restriction.      |

[...]

Post by Kurt Thei » Sun, 06 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Dave -

   Personally I use and like Slackware 3.0. I got my copy from Info Magic as
a 5 disk set. Computer shows have lots of copies relativly cheap (about $15).
You can also access Info Magics web site at www.infomagic.com for more info.
I have heard that the versions of Slackware after 3.0 are messed up. My
version has 1.2.13 kernal, it's setup for ELF and is stable and works well
for me.

                                       Kurt

> hiya folks. I am a complete newbie to linux. I want to learn it, and
> learn how it works. I have a Cyrix based PC <6x86>, and was wondering
> what is the best version for me to start with, and where to get it.
> Thanks for your time!!

1. Complete Newbie

could someone please direct me to the most comprehensive and/or easiest to
understand source on building a linux firewall. I am running a lone box (no
networked computers) through a cable modem connection on device eth0. I
really need the help, thanks

2. tpqic02 - compiler warning ?

3. newbie: install completed, but re-boot fails to find ata0

4. Monitor fading

5. Complete newbie - help...please?

6. how stable is Solaris 8?

7. question about installing linux from a complete newbie

8. Maximal mounts count reached

9. Complete newbie - can't even install

10. Complete newbie question

11. Xwindows problem(complete newbie)