Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by Pma » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 02:50:20



I'm thinking of trying Linux AGAIN. Bottom line is I need a desktop
solution. Should I stay with Win98 then?

I need to stop being so technical and use a computer as a tool to save
myself time.

I *was* a computer contractor.

I buy houses.

I run Quicken and IE6 mainly.

I want a stable (time saving) system.

I want upgrades (yes free) to be smooth.

I want a custom system but I need to get it done and move on.

My available test subject is only a P200 desktop but it does have 64MB
and USB. (not that I'm using USB yet).

I have a nice Sharp Mult function lazer printer (parallel). I'm
concerned about Linux support on it. UX-3600 is the model. I think all
other component will work Linux.

I'm hoping I will not miss having the (free) Windows 98 updates.

I have a cable modem now and at least for two more months.

Prevoiusly the expert advise has been to stay with Windose for my
desktop. What do you think? Be honest.

I do not want to spend more than $20. Am I dreaming? Should I fall
prey to current market extortions and just buy a new XP system? (I
pray not). After all isn't Linux supposed to save money too?

So which distro will work best on my older system and with my
needs????

I've read about Xandros and how it "works" with Quicken. Well I have
had Quicken "working" under Linux in the past. It sucked. I came to
the conclusion that emulation was a bad idea. Has that changed? Also
it doesn't look like GNUCash has made it to Quicken level quality as
yet. I am disapoionted.

So I beg for the Linux community to advise me. I do not want to waste
my time testing again but the hope still goes on. Now that I'm trying
to sleep at night time instesd of installing Linux, does that
automatically mean I should just put up with Win98?

I do yearn for a better desktop OS. A stable OS. One where there are
not hidden fees too. I would go Redhat simply because it seems to be
most popular. Redhat has let me down and I will not pay (or sign up)
for support upgrades. I am a privacy advocate.

I love the idea of ap-get or whatever it's called but my Debian
install was the most insulting Linux experiance to date. THAT's a week
of BS I'll never get back. I can't help but wonder why it hasn't
improved.

It's obvious to me, he who wins the desktop, wins the OS market.

Please don't flame me. I'm tring to be honest and will listen to
correction as warranted.

Is the secret in the choice of distros, updates and custom app
installation or should I wait?

Thank you for your time and brotherhood,
Hopfully slightly discouraged

 
 
 

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by Martin Wickma » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 03:15:42



> I'm thinking of trying Linux AGAIN. Bottom line is I need a desktop
> solution. Should I stay with Win98 then?

No, you should buy Windows XP + some more MB to your computer and go
on with your Quicken/IE-life.

Or help create a better Linux alternative for people like you, cause
noone else it going to do that.

Quote:> I run Quicken and IE6 mainly.
> I want upgrades (yes free) to be smooth.
> I have a nice Sharp Mult function lazer printer (parallel). I'm
> I'm hoping I will not miss having the (free) Windows 98 updates.
> I have a cable modem now and at least for two more months.


 
 
 

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by Christopher Brown » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 05:28:13



> Please don't flame me. I'm tring to be honest and will listen to
> correction as warranted.

> Is the secret in the choice of distros, updates and custom app
> installation or should I wait?

Based on your requirements/expectations, I'd say it's still time to
wait.

I don't think it's too unkind to say that if you're not willing to put
some fairly significant effort into the changeover, you'll not get
satisfactory results.  You can't expect it to be "easy" for free.

What I'd suggest you do is to adopt non-MSFT products in as many areas
as possible.  
- Drop MS Office in favor of OpenOffice.org.  
- Drop IE in favor of Mozilla.  
- Quicken is a better choice than MS Money.

There are increasingly credible options in all these sorts of areas.
See the URLs below for links to  a lot of relevant "alternatives."

The one main area where there's nothing yet nearing "credibility" is
that of the "GUI front end;" there's nothing quite equivalent to MS
Access, and it's not yet clear that there's a credible wannabe in
progress.
--

http://cbbrowne.com/info/finances.html
http://cbbrowne.com/info/wp.html
http://cbbrowne.com/info/spreadsheets.html
http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html
Windows 'XCV -  A 32 bit patch for  a 16 bit interface to an  8 bit OS
designed for a 4 bit chip from  a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit
of competition...

 
 
 

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by mjt » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 07:16:23



> I'm thinking of trying Linux AGAIN. Bottom line is I need a desktop
> solution.

... as with ANY change of platform, be it operating system or
software system, you HAVE to expect change and you have to expect
a learning curve. if you think you are going to just 'plug it in
and go', then you should stay where you are. it's like going from
an automobile to a motorcycle - you need to learn the controls
and how to maneuver the new vehicle - it will take some dedication
on your part, which appears you do not want to do. heck, if you
just dont like micros~1, but dont want to learn the ins-and-outs
of Linux, why not try apple & os/x ???  :))))))  of course, that
would mean a new box too.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the  
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              #     universe by zero

 
 
 

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by Pma » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 09:48:42


Now see, I was honest and this is what I get as the first response.

I get the first part. Don't you get that i don't like the state of
affairs either. No I am not a flamer, a troll, a shill or any of that
other Internet BS. I am a real person with real information needs and
if I strike you the wrong way then move on. I will not enter into a
pissing match with you. I'm ask ing for help here.

As to the "help create a better Linux" part. What the hell do you
mean. Perhaps if you didn't feel that I need go spend Ten years
studing the same exact computer science you have in order for you to
answer a simple question you could tell me something.

I am willing to share. That's why I ask and put so much specifics into
it. Because I would answer if I knew which if currently a fit for me.
I mean we all know there are pros and cons to the diversity that is
Linux. Are the news groups not the place to wade though to the real
deal.

I mean if there is a better desk top then tell me and I'll try it.

I have questions here. Should I go back to Mandrake 7.2 and work up
from there? What distro is the speed of Win98 on a P200. Is Mandrke
7.2 to much? Do I need a Debian Net install and work form there?
What's the deal? I mean if I just asked then I'd get asked my
situation. That's what I tried to impart.

Be clear. I want Linux to stomp Windose asss. Can it be done?



> > I'm thinking of trying Linux AGAIN. Bottom line is I need a desktop
> > solution. Should I stay with Win98 then?

> No, you should buy Windows XP + some more MB to your computer and go
> on with your Quicken/IE-life.

> Or help create a better Linux alternative for people like you, cause
> noone else it going to do that.

> > I run Quicken and IE6 mainly.
> > I want upgrades (yes free) to be smooth.
> > I have a nice Sharp Mult function lazer printer (parallel). I'm
> > I'm hoping I will not miss having the (free) Windows 98 updates.
> > I have a cable modem now and at least for two more months.

 
 
 

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by Pma » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:00:57


I know there are a LOT of asss holes on the newsgroups but come on. Is
the Linux community reserved for time wasing geeks? How does that help
the case?

I'm sick of elitist Linux snobs intent on proving their value based on
keeping Linux for the REALLY technical. I though we were past this!

Let's here from some really smart and considerate Linux travelers who
know what I'm saying here.

I'm technical. I can do a certain amount of what it takes. But I'm
tring to not be so technical. Is there no place for me? I'm just being
honest. I want to love one another, make money and not spend ALL my
time trying disros and "fixing" the box. Is that so terrible?

I understand that custom comes with a price but I want it to work and
upgrade itself. Is there hope?



> > I'm thinking of trying Linux AGAIN. Bottom line is I need a desktop
> > solution. Should I stay with Win98 then?

> No, you should buy Windows XP + some more MB to your computer and go
> on with your Quicken/IE-life.

> Or help create a better Linux alternative for people like you, cause
> noone else it going to do that.

> > I run Quicken and IE6 mainly.
> > I want upgrades (yes free) to be smooth.
> > I have a nice Sharp Mult function lazer printer (parallel). I'm
> > I'm hoping I will not miss having the (free) Windows 98 updates.
> > I have a cable modem now and at least for two more months.

 
 
 

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by Pma » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 13:34:33


Thank you for your help. That's a good response. Anyone disagree? I'd
really like to hear there is a way that's no harder than installing
Win98. Which was not quick, all in all.

I'm willing to pay the price for change but to what end? What's new
this year in other words? I'm getting burnt out.

BTW I have installed a dual boot system several times. That includes
reversing the process twice. If that doesn't insire resect then
nothing will.

This is my forth wave (years) of wanting a better Linux desktop for my
needs.



> > Please don't flame me. I'm tring to be honest and will listen to
> > correction as warranted.

> > Is the secret in the choice of distros, updates and custom app
> > installation or should I wait?

> Based on your requirements/expectations, I'd say it's still time to
> wait.

> I don't think it's too unkind to say that if you're not willing to put
> some fairly significant effort into the changeover, you'll not get
> satisfactory results.  You can't expect it to be "easy" for free.

> What I'd suggest you do is to adopt non-MSFT products in as many areas
> as possible.  
> - Drop MS Office in favor of OpenOffice.org.  
> - Drop IE in favor of Mozilla.  
> - Quicken is a better choice than MS Money.

> There are increasingly credible options in all these sorts of areas.
> See the URLs below for links to  a lot of relevant "alternatives."

> The one main area where there's nothing yet nearing "credibility" is
> that of the "GUI front end;" there's nothing quite equivalent to MS
> Access, and it's not yet clear that there's a credible wannabe in
> progress.
> --

> http://cbbrowne.com/info/finances.html
> http://cbbrowne.com/info/wp.html
> http://cbbrowne.com/info/spreadsheets.html
> http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html
> Windows 'XCV -  A 32 bit patch for  a 16 bit interface to an  8 bit OS
> designed for a 4 bit chip from  a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit
> of competition...

 
 
 

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by Pma » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 13:39:10


I may need to wait indeed. I hope not. I really want a Linux desktop
for my stated needs. Please someone disagree and tell me the new
Xandros or Lycois is the deal for me.

Is Quicken under Xandros really practally the same. Is it better than
last years attempts? What are the real pros and cons? Isn't it smarter
to discuss my direction before installing distros? (or not installing)



> > I'm thinking of trying Linux AGAIN. Bottom line is I need a desktop
> > solution.

> ... as with ANY change of platform, be it operating system or
> software system, you HAVE to expect change and you have to expect
> a learning curve. if you think you are going to just 'plug it in
> and go', then you should stay where you are. it's like going from
> an automobile to a motorcycle - you need to learn the controls
> and how to maneuver the new vehicle - it will take some dedication
> on your part, which appears you do not want to do. heck, if you
> just dont like micros~1, but dont want to learn the ins-and-outs
> of Linux, why not try apple & os/x ???  :))))))  of course, that
> would mean a new box too.

 
 
 

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by Juha Siltal » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 14:11:13



Quote:> I may need to wait indeed. I hope not. I really want a Linux desktop
> for my stated needs. Please someone disagree and tell me the new
> Xandros or Lycois is the deal for me.

I'm not going to tell you that. What I _am_ going to suggest is take on an
install of a Debian style system like Libranet or Debian itself. Find help
and read the documentation. Why I'm saying Debian is because _after_ you
have managed to get the system up and running, it would well fulfill your
other requirements like stability and easy maintenance.

If you're waiting for a Linux distribution that will be just like Windows,
you're out of luck. Why not just switch to a more stable windows like
win2000 if that's the case?

--
Juha Siltala

 
 
 

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by Pma » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 06:20:27


Thank you. That's helpful. I may go to W2K or install a Debian distro.
I almost forgot about W2K with the XP frenzy.

Last time I did Deb she wasn't the app-gets meaow. I did get debian
installed. That was a major feat (major understatment here). Maybe I
just lost patients. But then, I remember spending alot a time tring to
get "get" to take me the rest of the way with frustrating results. Yes
darn it. I read everything, edited configs and the whole shebang.

What I learned in a painful way and more than anything else is to
always ASK what the outcome can be, and from users who are already
there. You know, where's the beef. What's the point. In a word
BENEFITS over features. That's why I spelled(sp)(joke)out what my
needs are. Is anyone there yet? Anyone with similar needs happily
running Linux?

Don't you all think Linux should cover these needs? Have we given up
on the desktop?



> > I may need to wait indeed. I hope not. I really want a Linux desktop
> > for my stated needs. Please someone disagree and tell me the new
> > Xandros or Lycois is the deal for me.

> I'm not going to tell you that. What I _am_ going to suggest is take on an
> install of a Debian style system like Libranet or Debian itself. Find help
> and read the documentation. Why I'm saying Debian is because _after_ you
> have managed to get the system up and running, it would well fulfill your
> other requirements like stability and easy maintenance.

> If you're waiting for a Linux distribution that will be just like Windows,
> you're out of luck. Why not just switch to a more stable windows like
> win2000 if that's the case?

 
 
 

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by Pma » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 06:25:18


Thank you Mr. Bill Gates.  :)


> > I'm thinking of trying Linux AGAIN. Bottom line is I need a desktop
> > solution. Should I stay with Win98 then?

> No, you should buy Windows XP + some more MB to your computer and go
> on with your Quicken/IE-life.

> Or help create a better Linux alternative for people like you, cause
> noone else it going to do that.

> > I run Quicken and IE6 mainly.
> > I want upgrades (yes free) to be smooth.
> > I have a nice Sharp Mult function lazer printer (parallel). I'm
> > I'm hoping I will not miss having the (free) Windows 98 updates.
> > I have a cable modem now and at least for two more months.

 
 
 

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by Martin Wickma » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 21:13:19





>> > I'm thinking of trying Linux AGAIN. Bottom line is I need a desktop
>> > solution. Should I stay with Win98 then?

>> No, you should buy Windows XP + some more MB to your computer and go
>> on with your Quicken/IE-life.

> Now see, I was honest and this is what I get as the first response.

> I get the first part. Don't you get that i don't like the state of
> affairs either. No I am not a flamer, a troll, a shill or any of that
> other Internet BS. I am a real person with real information needs and
> if I strike you the wrong way then move on. I will not enter into a
> pissing match with you. I'm ask ing for help here.

Sorry that you got upset, but that is your problem. My opinion stand,
and I will try to elaborate upon it below.

Quote:>> Or help create a better Linux alternative for people like you, cause
>> noone else it going to do that.

> As to the "help create a better Linux" part. What the hell do you
> mean.

I assume that you know that Linux and most surrounding programs has
been created by people who are willing to contribute and share their
work with others. This implies that one cannot really demand anything
from Linux because the software is free. Unless you are willing to pay
someone to fullfill your specific needs or can fix them youself, just
have to accept its shortcomings (and good things as well) or use some
other os. The exeption though; If the problem is interesting enough,
you can probably ask around and see if anyone is willing to hack it
for you, just for the fun of it.

Free software is generally not moneydriven in the same way an
off-the-shelf software is. Almost all Linux software is created
because some individual had a need and created a program which filled
the need and then figured that "hey, this could be used by more folks,
lets set it free so others can improve it!".

Compare this to, for instance, MS Word, which is improved (well, more
code is added to it anyway) because MS wants to sell more copies and
tries to figure out what people want, instead of letting the
improvements just happen by itself when there is real need. This
results in useless features like the Office Assistant, secret file
formats, customer lock-ins etc.

I see lots of people who demand that Linux should do this and that for
them or they'll "threaten" to use Windows. This attitude is childish
and shows that they have completely missed the point. I and most
others couldn't really care less if they use Windows/Mac/whatever
because they think Linux is inferior and lacks this and that
feature. Its probably for the better anyway, because those people
wouldn't really contribute and improve our system anyway.

Also, one other problem why people thinks Linux lacks features is that
they compare how things are done in Windows, and find that they cannot
do it the same way in Linux. "There is no MS Office in
Lixnu". Correct, but that doesnt mean you that cannot produce
documents, create databases, do your graphs, balance your accounts or
do slides in Linux. It is just done in a completely different way.

I got the impression that you are one of them, and I (personally) find
it quite fruitless to recommend Linux to folks who are not willing to
change the mindset and accept the Linux way of doing things. But that
is my opinion, and I am sure there are others out there that is more
than willing to point you at programs that will make your Linux
environment look and work just like Windows. Or I may be wrong of
course...

Quote:> I mean if there is a better desk top then tell me and I'll try it.

MacOS X would be my second choice if Linux is not Windows
enough. You'll get an easy-to-use system with the stability of
Unix. In fact I believe that MacOS X is in many ways better than
Linux, but hesitate to use it myself becuase it is not free software.

Quote:> What distro is the speed of Win98 on a P200.

What "speed?"

Quote:> Is Mandrke 7.2 to much? Do I need a Debian Net install and work form
> there?  What's the deal? I mean if I just asked then I'd get asked
> my situation. That's what I tried to impart.

Most distros look the same to me. They contain the same programs and
the same os. Its mostly a matter of colors, menus and icons if you ask
me.

I would settle for any distro that is backed by a commersial entity
that you can get $upport from. Go for RedHat, its best known and best
supported. But there is nothing wrong with SuSe. You need more memory
if you want to run a recent distro with all bells though.

Quote:> Be clear. I want Linux to stomp Windose asss. Can it be done?

Sure, just be patient. It may not happen today, but eventually. It may
not be Linux, but it will be a free operating system.

[Please refrain from top-posting]

 
 
 

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by John Hasle » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 21:50:57


Quote:Martin Wickman writes:
> I would settle for any distro that is backed by a commersial entity that
> you can get $upport from.

You can get commercial support for any distrubtion, including Debian.
Because Linux is Free Software your support need not come from the
"manufacturer".
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI
 
 
 

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by Martin Wickma » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 23:07:59



> Martin Wickman writes:

>> I would settle for any distro that is backed by a commersial entity
>> that you can get $upport from.

> You can get commercial support for any distrubtion, including
> Debian.  Because Linux is Free Software your support need not come
> from the "manufacturer".

Nor did I say that, but you did make a good point anyway :-)
 
 
 

Expert help needed. Which distro for me?

Post by Pma » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 07:10:52


OK good points. Thank you for you help.

I just want to know when all the collaboration is going to make
Windose secondary in it's real benifet to most people.

Yes we all should help but it sounds like you are making excuses for
Linux shortcommings.  In the end, whweres the beef. I'm all for
getting the benefits by other means but let's pony up.

See I think the people deep in the programing trenches (God bless
them) do get that they need to program for the desktop benefits
because they feel they feel like they'd have to dumb down. It's not
what they need. It's what Linux needs desperately. Linux will not
survive as just best as servers.

So I'm anxious and what a better Linux and I keep getting teased! I
KNOW I've tried harded than any newbie ever would. So I appeal to the
Linux trailblazers. What *is* the current progress. I'm asking. What
works now. Where's the better benefit. I really want to see it, use it
and even contribute to it.

I wish I could put forth an idea about Linux without all the "experts"
assuming I'm just doing it wrong or the suggestion that my perspective
is just to negative, ignorant, not tech enough ect.





> >> > I'm thinking of trying Linux AGAIN. Bottom line is I need a desktop
> >> > solution. Should I stay with Win98 then?

> >> No, you should buy Windows XP + some more MB to your computer and go
> >> on with your Quicken/IE-life.

> > Now see, I was honest and this is what I get as the first response.

> > I get the first part. Don't you get that i don't like the state of
> > affairs either. No I am not a flamer, a troll, a shill or any of that
> > other Internet BS. I am a real person with real information needs and
> > if I strike you the wrong way then move on. I will not enter into a
> > pissing match with you. I'm ask ing for help here.

> Sorry that you got upset, but that is your problem. My opinion stand,
> and I will try to elaborate upon it below.

> >> Or help create a better Linux alternative for people like you, cause
> >> noone else it going to do that.

> > As to the "help create a better Linux" part. What the hell do you
> > mean.

> I assume that you know that Linux and most surrounding programs has
> been created by people who are willing to contribute and share their
> work with others. This implies that one cannot really demand anything
> from Linux because the software is free. Unless you are willing to pay
> someone to fullfill your specific needs or can fix them youself, just
> have to accept its shortcomings (and good things as well) or use some
> other os. The exeption though; If the problem is interesting enough,
> you can probably ask around and see if anyone is willing to hack it
> for you, just for the fun of it.

> Free software is generally not moneydriven in the same way an
> off-the-shelf software is. Almost all Linux software is created
> because some individual had a need and created a program which filled
> the need and then figured that "hey, this could be used by more folks,
> lets set it free so others can improve it!".

> Compare this to, for instance, MS Word, which is improved (well, more
> code is added to it anyway) because MS wants to sell more copies and
> tries to figure out what people want, instead of letting the
> improvements just happen by itself when there is real need. This
> results in useless features like the Office Assistant, secret file
> formats, customer lock-ins etc.

> I see lots of people who demand that Linux should do this and that for
> them or they'll "threaten" to use Windows. This attitude is childish
> and shows that they have completely missed the point. I and most
> others couldn't really care less if they use Windows/Mac/whatever
> because they think Linux is inferior and lacks this and that
> feature. Its probably for the better anyway, because those people
> wouldn't really contribute and improve our system anyway.

> Also, one other problem why people thinks Linux lacks features is that
> they compare how things are done in Windows, and find that they cannot
> do it the same way in Linux. "There is no MS Office in
> Lixnu". Correct, but that doesnt mean you that cannot produce
> documents, create databases, do your graphs, balance your accounts or
> do slides in Linux. It is just done in a completely different way.

> I got the impression that you are one of them, and I (personally) find
> it quite fruitless to recommend Linux to folks who are not willing to
> change the mindset and accept the Linux way of doing things. But that
> is my opinion, and I am sure there are others out there that is more
> than willing to point you at programs that will make your Linux
> environment look and work just like Windows. Or I may be wrong of
> course...

> > I mean if there is a better desk top then tell me and I'll try it.

> MacOS X would be my second choice if Linux is not Windows
> enough. You'll get an easy-to-use system with the stability of
> Unix. In fact I believe that MacOS X is in many ways better than
> Linux, but hesitate to use it myself becuase it is not free software.

> > What distro is the speed of Win98 on a P200.

> What "speed?"

> > Is Mandrke 7.2 to much? Do I need a Debian Net install and work form
> > there?  What's the deal? I mean if I just asked then I'd get asked
> > my situation. That's what I tried to impart.

> Most distros look the same to me. They contain the same programs and
> the same os. Its mostly a matter of colors, menus and icons if you ask
> me.

> I would settle for any distro that is backed by a commersial entity
> that you can get $upport from. Go for RedHat, its best known and best
> supported. But there is nothing wrong with SuSe. You need more memory
> if you want to run a recent distro with all bells though.

> > Be clear. I want Linux to stomp Windose asss. Can it be done?

> Sure, just be patient. It may not happen today, but eventually. It may
> not be Linux, but it will be a free operating system.

> [Please refrain from top-posting]

 
 
 

1. Need help with Distro

I've been trying to compile and put together a minimal distribution of
the Redhat 6.0 to run on a Intel IXp1200 board. The distribution needs
to support TCP/IP .
Here's what I have done :

1. Compiled the kernel with TCP/Ip support(CONFIG_INET=y).
2. Created the scripts :
       A. /etc/hosts.
       B. /etc/rc.d/init.d/network.
       C. ifconfig and route are present.

When I boot off the floppy and run telnet : I get the foll message :
telnet/tcp : unknown service.
ftp gives the same message saying :
ftp/tcp : unknown service.
a ping says : unknown protocol : tcmp.

Where have I  missed out ??? Do I need to copy the /dev/ip, /dev/tcp
etc. files into the distro too ??

Please advice, this is driving me and my boss insane !!

Krishna

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Ethernet Header

3. need help to find out on a embedded/linux distro to use for my new project

4. modem problem... please help...

5. help: i need to compile libg++ on a semi-current linux distro

6. Anyone with an ICH2 or ICH3 Intel southbridge and UDMA133 harddrive willing to test?

7. need help to make a distro decision

8. 0.99pl10/net2

9. New Linux distro - WE NEED HELP!

10. Need help with distro ...

11. Need help creating a Custom linux Distro and Intallation based on RH 7.3.

12. need help with custom freebsd 'distro'

13. New Linux distro - WE NEED HELP!!