Kindly compare XP and Linux and Guide Me

Kindly compare XP and Linux and Guide Me

Post by Imanpreet Singh Aro » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:58:20

I would say that after using XP it is Unix and Linux are completely
out of buisness or atleast I think till there is some big bang from
linux and unix. What would you  Kindly tell me if there are good
things about Unix and linux please I would be glad to here. I am not
insulting anyone and neither do I want to start some war and you
calling me names I am just looking for an opinion and would be glad if
proven wrong. Kindly I am new and I would like you to tell me some
good things about linux so that I am not mistaken by the good looking
features of XP and removing something good from my life by not using
linux.

Kindly compare XP and Linux and Guide Me

Post by Larry Ebbi » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 07:25:45

On 13 Dec 2001 05:58:20 -0800,

Quote:> I would say that after using XP it is Unix and Linux are completely
> out of buisness or atleast I think till there is some big bang from
> linux and unix. What would you  Kindly tell me if there are good
> things about Unix and linux please I would be glad to here. I am not
> insulting anyone and neither do I want to start some war and you
> calling me names I am just looking for an opinion and would be glad if
> proven wrong. Kindly I am new and I would like you to tell me some
> good things about linux so that I am not mistaken by the good looking
> features of XP and removing something good from my life by not using
> linux.

I have no experience with XP, nor do I want any.  Linux is far more
reliable than any pre-XP version of Windows, does not involve the
execreble registry, and allows you to have complete control of your
system.
The price you pay is having to learn about system configuration and
understanding the software and its relation to your harware.  There
are thousands of page os good documentation available, most of which
comes with your distribution.  You must read and understand it.  I
know it sounds formidable, but there are many highly experienced
folks who will answer reasonable questions in the related newsgroups.
I highly recommend Linux and wish you well with your experience.

--
Larry Ebbitt - Linux(Cntr #80621) + OS/2 - Atlanta

Post by cbbro.. » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 07:27:34

Quote:> I would say that after using XP it is Unix and Linux are completely
> out of buisness or atleast I think till there is some big bang from
> linux and unix. What would you Kindly tell me if there are good
> things about Unix and linux please I would be glad to here. I am not
> insulting anyone and neither do I want to start some war and you
> calling me names I am just looking for an opinion and would be glad
> if proven wrong. Kindly I am new and I would like you to tell me
> some good things about linux so that I am not mistaken by the good
> looking features of XP and removing something good from my life by
> not using linux.

Phrases like:
  "I am not insulting anyone and neither do I want to start some war
   and you calling me names"
are typically the tell-tale sign of someone:
a) Being insulting,
b) Trying to start an "OS war,"

c) Looking forward to people calling them names, so they can point at
   the news and say "See?  They insulted me!  Obviously [whatever I
   was insulting] must be bad!!!"

Perhaps you are the first one to say those things without intending to
insult, and without intending to start a mud-fight; I seriously doubt
it, though.

If you don't want to use Unix or Linux, and can't imagine why one
would want to, then feel free to use Windows XP, and don't trouble us.
--

http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sgml.html
Implementing systems is 95% boredom and 5% sheer terror.

Post by Eric Hegli » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:09:33

On 13 Dec 2001 05:58:20 -0800

Quote:> I would say that after using XP it is Unix and Linux are completely
> out of buisness (yada yada yada....)

I thank GOD for people like you! It's because of people that think like you
that I have a nice job fixing all the Windows problems. Crashing, security
bugs, viruses, you name it. Happy XP-ing... (As I go cashing my paycheck.)

--
Fight Spam! Check out http://www.cauce.org/ and
http://spam.abuse.net/spam/ and even

Kindly compare XP and Linux and Guide Me

Post by Byron A Je » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 23:14:22

First off this post should be in comp.os.linux.advocacy. I'm transferring it
there.

Here is the original post just in case someone wants to respond to it
wholesale. I've cut it up for my analysis.

Quote:>I would say that after using XP it is Unix and Linux are completely
>out of buisness or atleast I think till there is some big bang from
>linux and unix. What would you  Kindly tell me if there are good
>things about Unix and linux please I would be glad to here. I am not
>insulting anyone and neither do I want to start some war and you
>calling me names I am just looking for an opinion and would be glad if
>proven wrong. Kindly I am new and I would like you to tell me some
>good things about linux so that I am not mistaken by the good looking
>features of XP and removing something good from my life by not using
>linux.

Your post comes across like a stealth bomber who's caught. First the
bomb:

-I would say that after using XP it is Unix and Linux are completely
-out of buisness or atleast I think till there is some big bang from
-linux and unix.

That above statement is inflammatory (sp), biased, and, unsubstantiated
opinion.

Then you ask the community to defend against the bomb...

- What would you  Kindly tell me if there are good
-things about Unix and linux please I would be glad to here.

But finally you attempt to protect yourself against the backlash that you
know that your "incite to riot" statement will cause.

-I am not
-insulting anyone and neither do I want to start some war and you
-calling me names.

You then go on to ask for an opinion against your so called "truth", which
in fact is just another opinion with no factual basis...

- I am just looking for an opinion and would be glad if
-proven wrong.

You continue on with your perceived "goodness" of XP, none of which you give
any basis of fact...

- Kindly I am new and I would like you to tell me some
-good things about linux so that I am not mistaken by the good looking
-features of XP and removing something good from my life by not using
-linux.

It's called trolling. Stating a one sided opinion as fact, then calling on the
opposition to refute your "facts". All in an attempt to show that the
opposition is emotional and unruly in the face of your "facts".

Nice Try.

Here's my response:

If XP satisfies your computing needs, and you have no problem with the price
and/or restrictions that it imposes for its use, then use it. There's no
reason to compare it to any of the Linux offerings. You've already made up
your mind, and it seems that you're trying to find an excuse to*off Linux
supporters so that you can say in the future "I asked the Linux community
a reasonable question in comparing Linux to XP, and they flamed me."

But your basis of fact is nonexistent, your question isn't reasonable, and
it's phrased in such a way so as to incite belligerent responses.

In short you're trolling. So all you'll get from me is an analysis of your
troll and a suggestion for you to use XP since it works for you.

BAJ

Post by Imanpreet Singh Aro » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 04:52:28

> First off this post should be in comp.os.linux.advocacy. I'm transferring it
> there.

> Here is the original post just in case someone wants to respond to it
> wholesale. I've cut it up for my analysis.
> >I would say that after using XP it is Unix and Linux are completely
> >out of buisness or atleast I think till there is some big bang from
> >linux and unix. What would you  Kindly tell me if there are good
> >things about Unix and linux please I would be glad to here. I am not
> >insulting anyone and neither do I want to start some war and you
> >calling me names I am just looking for an opinion and would be glad if
> >proven wrong. Kindly I am new and I would like you to tell me some
> >good things about linux so that I am not mistaken by the good looking
> >features of XP and removing something good from my life by not using
> >linux.

> Your post comes across like a stealth bomber who's caught. First the
> bomb:

> -I would say that after using XP it is Unix and Linux are completely
> -out of buisness or atleast I think till there is some big bang from
> -linux and unix.

> That above statement is inflammatory (sp), biased, and, unsubstantiated
> opinion.

> Then you ask the community to defend against the bomb...

> - What would you  Kindly tell me if there are good
> -things about Unix and linux please I would be glad to here.

> But finally you attempt to protect yourself against the backlash that you
> know that your "incite to riot" statement will cause.

> -I am not
> -insulting anyone and neither do I want to start some war and you
> -calling me names.

> You then go on to ask for an opinion against your so called "truth", which
> in fact is just another opinion with no factual basis...

> - I am just looking for an opinion and would be glad if
> -proven wrong.

> You continue on with your perceived "goodness" of XP, none of which you give
> any basis of fact...

> - Kindly I am new and I would like you to tell me some
> -good things about linux so that I am not mistaken by the good looking
> -features of XP and removing something good from my life by not using
> -linux.

> It's called trolling. Stating a one sided opinion as fact, then calling on the
> opposition to refute your "facts". All in an attempt to show that the
> opposition is emotional and unruly in the face of your "facts".

> Nice Try.

Sorry I donot think so if any one feels so any one here is free to
reply. I admit that my question could be generated by a more
expreienced poster in a much better way. I had just read a couple of
replies in this forum and any where people said the reply was simple
"backlash". So I tried to put some thing more into my question but it
did turn out to be really bad. I am not here to start some war. My
question would then be " I am a student ( beginner to linux and unix )
so What are the good thing's that I should I should except out of
linux and unix. I have used the Netscape on linux but it did not turn
out to be good. But it was good on Win.. In short it was difficult
doing many things and GUI of linux was not found to be good to be as
good as on Win XP..  So I was loosing interest in Linux. Thereby I
asked this question so that I could try to explore some good areas of
linux and get a general sense as to where linux is used and what are
the cons in linux and also why should anyone choose linux. And if you
think that this provokes some kind of war I would be grateful if I
would just recieve email. because that would at least not hurt anybody
right?). Sorry again.

Quote:> Here's my response:

> If XP satisfies your computing needs, and you have no problem with the price
> and/or restrictions that it imposes for its use, then use it. There's no
> reason to compare it to any of the Linux offerings. You've already made up
> your mind, and it seems that you're trying to find an excuse to*off Linux
> supporters so that you can say in the future "I asked the Linux community
> a reasonable question in comparing Linux to XP, and they flamed me."

> But your basis of fact is nonexistent, your question isn't reasonable, and
> it's phrased in such a way so as to incite belligerent responses.

> In short you're trolling. So all you'll get from me is an analysis of your
> troll and a suggestion for you to use XP since it works for you.

> BAJ

Kindly compare XP and Linux and Guide Me

Post by Yousaf Barikz » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 09:19:27

Hiya

well i am not an expert on linux, but here are my thoughts on these
OS's:

XP:
- why should i pay for it while i get Linux for free..
- I cannot afford to upgrade my PC, as XP will need more memory and
more CPU speed...
- I cannot run my previous software under it such as Paint shop pro...
- It has not been fully tested as yet.... so no one has really worked
with it.... linux Kernel is tested and far more stable then XP...
- XP comes from Mr. gates, and his track record in producing software
is not good...
- XP is basically Windows 2000, with a new interface..

Linux:
-Fully customizable
-fast
-secure
-huge documentation
-source code available
-scalable
-reliable
-build for multi-processing
-taken from a concept that has been around for more then 25 years,
tried and tested.
- huge developer community.
- can use your new software under linux with WINE, but not fully there
as yet...
- the potential of linux is huge, and is a treat to Windows...
- the evolution of Linux is faster then windows and it can adapt to
the market quickly.... essential to toady's dynamic technology...
- huge backing from giant commercial software and hardware venders...
- developing countries are starting to use it, such as India and
China, and it is becoming more popular day by day... why because it
works, infact works better then windows *

All the best

Yousaf

Post by Jim LasCo » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 10:23:30

> On 13 Dec 2001 05:58:20 -0800

> > I would say that after using XP it is Unix and Linux are completely
> > out of buisness (yada yada yada....)

> I thank GOD for people like you! It's because of people that think like you
> that I have a nice job fixing all the Windows problems. Crashing, security
> bugs, viruses, you name it. Happy XP-ing... (As I go cashing my paycheck.)

LOL that makes 2 ofd us that earn our $$$ fixing windows *all day
for corporate..

Jim
:W!
zz
:X!

Kindly compare XP and Linux and Guide Me

Post by mark » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 17:58:39

To me your question seems stunted, the equivalent of saying why should I
use Linux without knowing your outcomes.

My suggestion would be to List the type of activity you absolutely need
to perform on your computer and then ask the question if Linux is capable
of handling these needs.

You may or may not be aware, but Linux is used in all manner of activity.

office application, document editing, spreadsheet
webserver software
newsserver software
database software
ftp server
development software {C, C++, Perl, Java, Python, Shell programming and
utilities e.g. awk, sed, PHP }
RAID support

Also much much more than I have listed of the top of my head. To obtain
the equivalent commercial software with Windows would cost thousands of
dollars.

If your looking to install Linux and find a Windows clone you will be
sadly disappointed.

Quote:> Sorry I donot think so if any one feels so any one here is free to
> reply. I admit that my question could be generated by a more expreienced
> poster in a much better way. I had just read a couple of replies in this
> forum and any where people said the reply was simple "backlash". So I
> tried to put some thing more into my question but it did turn out to be
> really bad. I am not here to start some war. My question would then be "
> I am a student ( beginner to linux and unix ) so What are the good
> thing's that I should I should except out of linux and unix. I have used
> the Netscape on linux but it did not turn out to be good. But it was
> good on Win.. In short it was difficult doing many things and GUI of
> linux was not found to be good to be as good as on Win XP..  So I was
> loosing interest in Linux. Thereby I asked this question so that I could
> try to explore some good areas of linux and get a general sense as to
> where linux is used and what are the cons in linux and also why should
> anyone choose linux. And if you think that this provokes some kind of
> war I would be grateful if I would just recieve email. because that
> would at least not hurt anybody right?). Sorry again.
>> Here's my response:

The advice posted below is sound. I also feel that your post is not
genuine but rather an attempt to generate heated discussion. If you have
WindowsXP and it works for you and you are happy with MS activation,
known security issues, being tied into MS continual upgrade cycle both HW
and software then by all means continue your enjoyment of the product.

After all this is an advocacy group not a convert all users to Linux
group, the people here can advise you of what Linux can do, IF you ask
specific questions. Whether you take up the challenge of changing years
of ingrained habitual use of Microsoft products is up to you.

As the old adage goes "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make
him drink".

Quote:>> If XP satisfies your computing needs, and you have no problem with the
>> price and/or restrictions that it imposes for its use, then use it.
>> There's no reason to compare it to any of the Linux offerings. You've
>> already made up your mind, and it seems that you're trying to find an
>> excuse to*off Linux supporters so that you can say in the future
>> "I asked the Linux community a reasonable question in comparing Linux
>> to XP, and they flamed me."

>> But your basis of fact is nonexistent, your question isn't reasonable,
>> and it's phrased in such a way so as to incite belligerent responses.

>> In short you're trolling. So all you'll get from me is an analysis of
>> your troll and a suggestion for you to use XP since it works for you.

>> BAJ

Kindly compare XP and Linux and Guide Me

Post by Eric Hegli » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 22:55:43

On 20 Dec 2001 11:52:28 -0800

Quote:> Sorry I donot think so if any one feels so any one here is free to
> reply. I admit that my question could be generated by a more
> expreienced poster in a much better way. I had just read a couple of
> replies in this forum and any where people said the reply was simple
> "backlash". So I tried to put some thing more into my question but it
> did turn out to be really bad. I am not here to start some war. My
> question would then be " I am a student ( beginner to linux and unix )
> so What are the good thing's that I should I should except out of
> linux and unix. I have used the Netscape on linux but it did not turn
> out to be good. But it was good on Win.. In short it was difficult
> doing many things and GUI of linux was not found to be good to be as
> good as on Win XP..  So I was loosing interest in Linux. Thereby I
> asked this question so that I could try to explore some good areas of
> linux and get a general sense as to where linux is used and what are
> the cons in linux and also why should anyone choose linux. And if you
> think that this provokes some kind of war I would be grateful if I
> would just recieve email. because that would at least not hurt anybody
> right?). Sorry again.

Here's MY thoughts on XP (from CNET.com) "Microsoft may have touted Windows XP
as the most secure operating system it has made, but the company on Thursday
released a bug fix for a security hole that could leave some people's systems
open to malicious attack." BWAHAAHAAHAAHAAAAAHAAAAA! And, this is just the
beginning. This is just one of the EASILY FOUND "flaws" that XP users are
going to have trouble with. Full article:
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8244349.html?tag=owv

--

Post by Imanpreet Singh Aro » Mon, 24 Dec 2001 05:00:10

> On 20 Dec 2001 11:52:28 -0800

> > Sorry I donot think so if any one feels so any one here is free to
> > reply. I admit that my question could be generated by a more
> > expreienced poster in a much better way. I had just read a couple of
> > replies in this forum and any where people said the reply was simple
> > "backlash". So I tried to put some thing more into my question but it
> > did turn out to be really bad. I am not here to start some war. My
> > question would then be " I am a student ( beginner to linux and unix )
> > so What are the good thing's that I should I should except out of
> > linux and unix. I have used the Netscape on linux but it did not turn
> > out to be good. But it was good on Win.. In short it was difficult
> > doing many things and GUI of linux was not found to be good to be as
> > good as on Win XP..  So I was loosing interest in Linux. Thereby I
> > asked this question so that I could try to explore some good areas of
> > linux and get a general sense as to where linux is used and what are
> > the cons in linux and also why should anyone choose linux. And if you
> > think that this provokes some kind of war I would be grateful if I
> > would just recieve email. because that would at least not hurt anybody
> > right?). Sorry again.

> Here's MY thoughts on XP (from CNET.com) "Microsoft may have touted Windows XP
> as the most secure operating system it has made, but the company on Thursday
> released a bug fix for a security hole that could leave some people's systems
> open to malicious attack." BWAHAAHAAHAAHAAAAAHAAAAA! And, this is just the
> beginning. This is just one of the EASILY FOUND "flaws" that XP users are
> going to have trouble with. Full article:
> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-8244349.html?tag=owv

Thanks. But I need to ask 1 thing Is it possible to acess NTFS through
linux or is it that I am not able to configure it?

Kindly compare XP and Linux and Guide Me

Post by Eric Hegli » Mon, 24 Dec 2001 22:35:58

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 22:27:13 GMT

> Support for NTFS has to be compiled into your kernel either as a module or
> natively for it to work.

> If this is the case, you can read NTFS partitions and it works ok but very
> slowly.

> Write ability is still in beta.

Just in case, I'll add that if it's a computer on the network that has NTFS
partitions, you'll have no problems with access as long as you have the
necessary network permissions. Also, loading Samba on the Linux machine will
help...