trival but annoying redhat problems

Post by Jeff Pe » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I have been using redhat 5.0 , I am used to Slackware, and there are
some things I just can't figure out.

1)  Why can't I get the .profile files in users home directories
        to be read. The system wide /etc/profile works ok.

2) When using X, particulary when using vi in an xterm, if I hit a
        back key, or try to backspace at the begiinning of the
        file the xterm flashes. This is an action is like an error
        beep, but more annoying

3) What is the command to get directory and file colors. I know it is
        ls --color. But  I can't get it to work.

--Jeff

Post by Donovan Rebbech » Fri, 10 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I have been using redhat 5.0 , I am used to Slackware, and there are
> some things I just can't figure out.

> 1)  Why can't I get the .profile files in users home directories
>         to be read. The system wide /etc/profile works ok.

the correct file is .bash_profile

Quote:

> 2) When using X, particulary when using vi in an xterm, if I hit a
>         back key, or try to backspace at the begiinning of the
>         file the xterm flashes.

you need to modify your .Xdefaults. try setting *visualBell: false

Quote:>         beep, but more annoying

sure is !

Quote:

> 3) What is the command to get directory and file colors. I know it is
>         ls --color. But  I can't get it to work.

works for me ! you need to set your LS_COLORS environment variable. try
man ls and search for color to work out the correct format.

*       Lord of the Elves                       *
*       http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/   *

Post by Ben Sandle » Fri, 10 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> > 3) What is the command to get directory and file colors. I know it is
> >         ls --color. But  I can't get it to work.

> works for me ! you need to set your LS_COLORS environment variable. try
> man ls and search for color to work out the correct format.

I think it's ls --color=tty (or ls --color=yes, but that gets ugly if
you pipe it to less).

- Ben

> *       Lord of the Elves                       *
> *       http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/    *

Ben Sandler
email me: ben at yucs dot org
"Friends don't let friends use DOS."

Post by Victor Wagn » Fri, 10 Apr 1998 04:00:00

: I have been using redhat 5.0 , I am used to Slackware, and there are
: some things I just can't figure out.

: 1)  Why can't I get the .profile files in users home directories
:       to be read. The system wide /etc/profile works ok.

   May be there is .bash_profile files, which are read instead of
   .profile
   If so, either remove them, or if there is something useful in them,
   make them source .profile
: 2) When using X, particulary when using vi in an xterm, if I hit a
:       back key, or try to backspace at the begiinning of the
:       file the xterm flashes. This is an action is like an error
:       beep, but more annoying
   It is called VisualBell or something alike. Read man xterm and find
   what you have to put into .Xdefaults to switch it off

   XTerm.VisualBell: false
   I suppose.

: 3) What is the command to get directory and file colors. I know it is
:       ls --color. But  I can't get it to work.
 Hm, strange. May be ls is already alias for /bin/ls with some options
which prevent coloring. Look into ${HOME}/.bashrc
 rpm

: --Jeff

:
I have tin news and pine mail...

Post by Trent Piep » Sat, 11 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>I have been using redhat 5.0 , I am used to Slackware, and there are
>some things I just can't figure out.
>3) What is the command to get directory and file colors. I know it is
>    ls --color. But  I can't get it to work.

I didn't like this either.  I think that a lot of the utilities that come with
slackware are setup better than those in redhat.  color ls is one.  What I did
was first install the dircolors package.  However, the dircolors that comes
with redhat 5 isn't as good as the one that comes with slackware, even though
it is supposed to be a newer version.  redhat also isn't setup to use it at
all!

Then I made the file /etc/profile.d/dircolors.sh:

eval `dircolors -b /etc/DIR_COLORS`
LS_OPTIONS='--color=tty -F -T 0';
export LS_OPTIONS;
alias ls='/bin/ls $LS_OPTIONS';
alias dir='/bin/ls $LS_OPTIONS --format=vertical';

And /etc/profile.d/dircolors.csh:

eval `dircolors -c /etc/DIR_COLORS`
setenv LS_OPTIONS '--color=tty -F -T 0';
alias ls '/bin/ls $LS_OPTIONS';
alias dir '/bin/ls $LS_OPTIONS --format=vertical';

And that was it.  The slackware dircolors and ls seem to be better than those
in redhat, my slackware dircolors program automatically looks for the file
~/.dircolors and if it doesn't find it looks for /etc/DIR_COLORS, so users can
override the system defaults.  The redhat one needs to be told where to look.
The slackware one also can make output to work with more shells than redhat's.
And of course redhat doesn't setup color ls by default, which is really a
shame since most people who see it think it's great, but it was a pain for me
to setup it up like this, I don't see how a newbie could possible hope to do
it.  If it was there by default, the people who try out redhat would probably
have a much better first impression of linux.

Now I just have to fix the redhat less to have the slackware's features.
--
|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |

trival but annoying redhat problems

Post by Alex Li » Sat, 11 Apr 1998 04:00:00

[Snipped]

Quote:>And of course redhat doesn't setup color ls by default, which is really a
>shame since most people who see it think it's great, but it was a pain for
me
>to setup it up like this, I don't see how a newbie could possible hope to
do
>it.  If it was there by default, the people who try out redhat would
probably
>have a much better first impression of linux.

[Snipped]

Quote:

>Now I just have to fix the redhat less to have the slackware's features.

Oh wow! All that just to get colors? For what it's worth, all I did was to
include an alias in my .bashrc file that said
alias ls = 'ls --color=auto'
and walla! Now ls displays in color.

Wouldn't want to go thru what u did to get the colors displayed :) Anyway, I
am using Redhat 5.0 Hurricane and I learned this while using Redhat 4.2.

Cheers

--
Alex C. O. Lim
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5112

trival but annoying redhat problems

Post by Sam Trenhol » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>...redhat doesn't setup color ls by default, which is really a shame...

I know we are discussing subjective impressions here, but I always found
Slackware's color-ls annoying, unusuable on the monochrome monitor I had
when I first used Linux, and a feature best left turned off by default.

There also is the same argument against posting in HTML (which I wish
people would be more tolerant of, but oh well)--a b/w ls output better
caters to the lowest common denominator.  In addition, b/w ls output looks
more professional and DOS-like to boot.

This is one area where RedHat excels.

- Sam

--
Unique Linux information: http://linux-rules.samiam.org/linux/linux_links.html
  I reserve the right to make public any mail I receive in response to this

Post by Saadiq Rodgers-Ki » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>>...redhat doesn't setup color ls by default, which is really a shame...

<SNIP>
>There also is the same argument against posting in HTML (which I wish
>people would be more tolerant of, but oh well)--a b/w ls output better
>caters to the lowest common denominator.  In addition, b/w ls output looks
>more professional and DOS-like to boot.

>This is one area where RedHat excels.

I don't know about anyone else, but the last thing I'm trying to do is emulate
DOS.  One of the best parts of Linux, for me, is getting everything looking
just like I want it, whether that be my X config or my command line.  I
personally like my console looking like a Christmas tree with all the pretty
colors.  (I don't particularly like blink but to each his own...)  DOS is
about making people bend to the machine.  I'm here to make my machine do what
I want!

<exit soap box>

Of course, in that same freedom, if you like b/w and DOS, you can rename alias
ls to dir and do all that.  It's whatever you want.  Enjoy...

--
Saadiq
-=>take NO_JUNK out of the email address to reply<=-

Post by Trent Piep » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>[Snipped]
>>And of course redhat doesn't setup color ls by default, which is really a
>>shame since most people who see it think it's great, but it was a pain for
>>to setup it up like this, I don't see how a newbie could possible hope to
>>it.  If it was there by default, the people who try out redhat would
>>have a much better first impression of linux.

>[Snipped]

>>Now I just have to fix the redhat less to have the slackware's features.

>Oh wow! All that just to get colors? For what it's worth, all I did was to
>include an alias in my .bashrc file that said
>alias ls = 'ls --color=auto'
>and walla! Now ls displays in color.

>Wouldn't want to go thru what u did to get the colors displayed :) Anyway, I
>am using Redhat 5.0 Hurricane and I learned this while using Redhat 4.2.

If you use tcsh instead of bash, you won't get color.  New user accounts won't
have color.  You're also not looking at a DIR_COLORS file so your stuck with
the default colors.  An alias like that may be simple, but it doesn't install
it "right", IMHO.
--

Post by Ben Sandle » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> >[Snipped]
> >>And of course redhat doesn't setup color ls by default, which is really a
> >>shame since most people who see it think it's great, but it was a pain for
> >>to setup it up like this, I don't see how a newbie could possible hope to
> >>it.  If it was there by default, the people who try out redhat would
> >>have a much better first impression of linux.

[snipped]

Quote:> If you use tcsh instead of bash, you won't get color.  New user accounts won't
> have color.  You're also not looking at a DIR_COLORS file so your stuck with
> the default colors.  An alias like that may be simple, but it doesn't install
> it "right", IMHO.

I just took off ls --color=tty as the default on my server because
people were complaining of problems with certain telnet clients that
would make all colored files invisible.  People can set it up themselves
if they want - it's not that hard.

- Ben
--

> |Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
> |came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |
> |curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun.   |

Ben Sandler
email me: ben at yucs dot org
"Friends don't let friends use DOS."

trival but annoying redhat problems

Post by Dave Freem » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have been using redhat 5.0 , I am used to Slackware, and there are
>some things I just can't figure out.

>1)  Why can't I get the .profile files in users home directories
>    to be read. The system wide /etc/profile works ok.

Have you got this one set with execute permissions?  Your .profile
should be 744 (-rwxr--r--).

Quote:>3) What is the command to get directory and file colors. I know it is
>    ls --color. But  I can't get it to work.

As others have mentioned, the simplest way I've found is to setup an
alias in your .profile (although RedHat actually uses a .bashrc for
that sorta thing) something like:

alias ls='ls --color=tty'

And no, it's not universal, but you can make it that way by editing
the appropriate profile files - either in /etc or in /etc/skel -
depending on your need.

Cheers, Dave.

trival but annoying redhat problems

Post by Saadiq Rodgers-Ki » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>>I have been using redhat 5.0 , I am used to Slackware, and there are
>>some things I just can't figure out.

>>1)  Why can't I get the .profile files in users home directories
>>        to be read. The system wide /etc/profile works ok.

>Have you got this one set with execute permissions?  Your .profile
>should be 744 (-rwxr--r--).

What shell are you trying to use?  If it is bash, isn't the personal profile
file supposed to be .bash_profile?

--

Post by s. keeli » Mon, 20 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> >...redhat doesn't setup color ls by default, which is really a shame...

> I know we are discussing subjective impressions here, but I always found
> Slackware's color-ls annoying, unusuable on the monochrome monitor I had
> when I first used Linux, and a feature best left turned off by default.

See it on a decent monitor/video card combination (ie., Matrox M1, NEC
Multi 3V).  I hated it on my cheap hardware.

--

                            TopQuark Software & Serv. Enquire within.

1. Redhat 7 public_html setup problems. (annoying /)

Hello Everyone:

I cam currently running redhat 7,  and have recently turned it into a web
server.
Now I have some users on the system, and am trying to set them up with user
web
directories "not sure what thats actually called, but they are storing their
sites
under "public_html".

Now the problem I am being faced with is when the user tries to access their
home page.
If in the browser the enter:

http://www.mydomail.com/~username

They get the "page not found error".

however, if they enter:

http://www.mydomail.com/~username/

they see everything thing fine...  Is there a way to have the site present
the page
without requiring that annoying forward slash after the URL?

Thanks...

Richard

2. Young Asians do all......sample.jpg

3. khttpd trival fix.

4. Creating a bootable CD..

5. Annoyed by OfB's attack on Redhat

6. A driver for a printer

7. Trival patch to i386 enter_lazy_tlb()

8. SLIP problem--Solution

9. Annoying TeX feature under RedHat 3.0.3

10. Annoying error messages while booting Redhat 4.1

11. 2.5.50-ac1 trival compile fix

12. Trivial but annoying problem

13. Annoying Netscape Problem in Red Hat 6.2/Gnome Environment