INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! giving up..

INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! giving up..

Post by Max » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I've been running Red Hat Linux 4.1 for several months now on my home
machine (AMD K6/233 w/48MB of Ram) without any problems.  Two days ago
we had a power blackout while I was in the middle of compile a new
kernel (ver 2.1.66).  Since then, linux dies during the boot process,
right after probing and properly identifying my hardware, including all
the hard disk partitions.  It prints the above error message (see the
subject line) and locks up solid.  The only way out is a hard reset.
Does anyone have any idea how to get aroud this.  I tried booting from
the boot floppy in 'rescue' mode to run fsck on my linux partitions.  It
found and corrected some problems.  Now all the partitions are 'clean'
but the system still dies at exactly the same point.  It will boot in
emergency mode (by typing 'linux emergency' at the lilo boot prompt) and
I'm able to look at both linux partitions (/root and /usr) and on the
surface they look just fine.  But, of course, in emergency mode, the
system's functionality is severely limited.  I'm starting to feel linux
withdrawal symptoms ;-) HELP!!!

--Max

Post by Jamie Hoglun » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

[...]

Sounds to me like your init program is bad. :-(

Maybe the power outage corrupted /etc/initab or something, feeding init
bad values. (still, that shouldn't cause a segfault)

I'd investigate what init is doing (or trying to do) if I were you.

Jamie

Post by Jim Chishol » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Maybe the power outage corrupted /etc/initab or something, feeding init
> bad values. (still, that shouldn't cause a segfault)

> I'd investigate what init is doing (or trying to do) if I were you.

> Jamie

I had the same problem..

My /etc/inittab was corrupted (into a binary !)
Replace it with a good one and I'll bet that it'll boot fine

Jim
--

=======================================

Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics
Halifax, N.S. Canada B3H 3J5
(902)494-3449
http://electron.phys.dal.ca

1. INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! giving up..

Sounds pretty fatal ... maybe your init binary is corrupted? I'd try booting
from floppy, renaming the copy of init that's on your hard drive to something
else and then copying the one from the floppy in instead.

(init is the first program, apart from the Linux kernel itself, that runs
at boot.  It reads a file called /etc/inittab which tells it what other
software to start up.  The error message looks to me as though it's trying
to look at the wrong part of memory, usually a symptom of being badly broken.
It therefore gives up, and nothing else gets started.)
--

Email advertisements received at this site are subject to a handling charge
of TWENTY-FIVE POUNDS STERLING.  By sending such material you agree to be

2. ASP for Apache on SunOS 4.1.4

3. catching output from inetd ?

4. PANIC: INIT: segmentation violation ...

5. Moving to a new harddrive

6. Linus BK tree crashes with PANIC: INIT: segmentation violation

7. Ranting: Linux Fails Me Once Again

8. 2.4.3: INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation...

9. INIT panic: Segmentation violation at (nil)!

10. init: panic segmentation violation

11. HELP - INIT - PANIC Segmentation Fault giving up.

12. "init" segmentation violation on Redhat 6.2