slackware-elf-beta's emacs doesn't seem to be working..

slackware-elf-beta's emacs doesn't seem to be working..

Post by Marc R. Whitt » Sat, 08 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Well, I chose the oh so cheasy way to upgrade my system to ELF-- I
used the slackware beta release.  Everything is working like a charm
except for the fact that emacs will not work..  All correct files seem
to be installed, and I even recompiled the kernel to make sure that
ELF support was activated.  Regardless, when I try running emacs I
get:

/bin/sh:  /bin/emacs: Invalide Exec format.

Hmm... Anyone else run into a similar problem? Any help would be
appreciated!!!!

Thanks!
Marc.

PS: Thanks to everyone who helped me with my users not being able to
login..  You guys were right on.

|Marc R. Whitten       |C Code. C code run. Run code run.. Please!!    |

|Univ. North Texas     |                                               |
|Denton, Texas 76203   |   (Opinions == Mine && !(Opinions==UNT))      |

Post by Alain Kna » Sat, 08 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: Well, I chose the oh so cheasy way to upgrade my system to ELF-- I
: used the slackware beta release.  Everything is working like a charm
: except for the fact that emacs will not work..  All correct files seem
: to be installed, and I even recompiled the kernel to make sure that
: ELF support was activated.  Regardless, when I try running emacs I
: get:

: /bin/sh:  /bin/emacs: Invalide Exec format.

: Hmm... Anyone else run into a similar problem? Any help would be
: appreciated!!!!
I have a similar problem: emacs-19.28-with-x11 is empty! :

Quote:> ls -l /usr/bin/emacs-19.28-with-x11

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin             0 Jun 18 06:35 /usr/bin/emacs-19.28-with
-x11

Moreover, the tcl binaries don't seem to be elf.

: Thanks!
: Marc.

: PS: Thanks to everyone who helped me with my users not being able to
: login..  You guys were right on.

: --
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
 Alain

slackware-elf-beta's emacs doesn't seem to be working..

Post by Bernd Pays » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Well, I chose the oh so cheasy way to upgrade my system to ELF-- I
>used the slackware beta release.  Everything is working like a charm
>except for the fact that emacs will not work..  All correct files seem
>to be installed, and I even recompiled the kernel to make sure that
>ELF support was activated.  Regardless, when I try running emacs I
>get:

>/bin/sh:  /bin/emacs: Invalide Exec format.

>Hmm... Anyone else run into a similar problem? Any help would be
>appreciated!!!!

Emacs has a weird way to generate the emacs binary. The C code compiles
to temacs, then temacs loads a number of lisp files, and dumps "core".
This dump is named "emacs" and executed then. Works fine with the a.out
format. Requires a lot of hack with ELF, mostly because a linked a.out has
all addresses fixed, whereas ELF needs to bind to the dynamic libs at load
time. They would go better off dumping the lisp stuff into a separate file
and mmap (or load) it on startup. This would also permit many users to
generate their own image and thus allows faster startup.

--
Bernd Paysan
"Late answers are wrong answers!"

Post by S. L » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Emacs has a weird way to generate the emacs binary. The C code compiles
>to temacs, then temacs loads a number of lisp files, and dumps "core".
>This dump is named "emacs" and executed then. Works fine with the a.out
>format. Requires a lot of hack with ELF, mostly because a linked a.out has
>all addresses fixed, whereas ELF needs to bind to the dynamic libs at load
>time. They would go better off dumping the lisp stuff into a separate file
>and mmap (or load) it on startup. This would also permit many users to
>generate their own image and thus allows faster startup.

Just installed emacs 19.29 last night.  It has built-in ELF support.
Compiles right out of the box...

Witty .sig under construction.

1. setenvif doesn't seem to work properly - what am I doing wrong ?

Folks,

I run htDig on my home intranet every night, and I want to filter out the
"digger's" searching from my main log. I thought it might be useful to send
it to /dev/null :-)  Here's what I have in my config file:

SetEnvIfNoCase User-agent  \.*htdig\.* htdigger
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent
CustomLog /var/log/httpd/agent_log agent
CustomLog /dev/null agent env=htdigger

I -think- i'm saying: "if the user agent contains htdig, then set the
environment variable htdigger. define a custom log format called agent
which just holds the user agent. define a custom log called agent_log for
other user agents, except if the digger env var is set, then send it to
/dev/null."

Unfortunately, it still annoyingly puts all of htDig's accesses in the main
log.  I think it might be something to do with my regex.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

2. redirecting find's output

3. slackware-elf-beta and emacs

4. How do I use CGI for 401 basic authentication page protection?

5. ``M-x shell'' command under emacs doesn't quite work.

6. Going beyond 256 PCI buses

7. sed -e s/\'/\&apos\;/g doesn't seem to work

8. dynamic DNS updates with DHCP

9. qt2.2.1 doesn't seem to work with Nvidia's openGL library

10. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

11. My Slackware doesn't work with soundcard, & can't compile Kernel

12. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

13. 'ppp-on' Works, 'ifup ppp0' Doesn't