Newbie: X crashed, Knode won't restart

Post by Kevin Deighto » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 00:15:27

I managed to crash out of my desktop (Gnome) yesterday while running
Knode, and now I can't restart it (Knode, not the desktop). It runs fine
for any user other than the user I was logged in as at the time, and it
runs fine for that particular user in KDE, but not in Gnome. I tried
running knode from the terminal to see if there were any useful error
messages but there were none. It just waited a second or so and then
returned my prompt.

Following advice I'd seen for a similar problem in Google's archive, I
tried deleting all the user-related files from /tmp (ksocket-<user>,
mcop-<user> and one other, I forget the name). I then went to
/home/<user>/.kde and eventually deleted the whole folder, trying to make
Knode forget that this user had ever started it before. In the end I
reinstalled KDE's networking package but none of this has worked.

I was really liking Knode so I'm keen to revive it, and my best-guess is
that I need to remove any data it's harbouring that relates to this user,
but I don't know where to find it (or even if this will work, to be honest).
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

--
Kev
http://www.teop.org/

Newbie: X crashed, Knode won't restart

Post by Paul Lutu » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 00:57:20

/ ...

Quote:> I was really liking Knode so I'm keen to revive it, and my best-guess is
> that I need to remove any data it's harbouring that relates to this user,
> but I don't know where to find it (or even if this will work, to be
> honest). Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Well, in my experience deleting (user)/.kde/share/apps/knode should have
started you off fresh. This is the entire user-related file area. AFAIK
deleting this directory make KNode assume it has never been run for that
user.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Post by Kevin Deighto » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 01:19:47

>> I was really liking Knode so I'm keen to revive it, and my best-guess
>> is that I need to remove any data it's harbouring that relates to this
>> user,

> Well, in my experience deleting (user)/.kde/share/apps/knode should have
> started you off fresh. This is the entire user-related file area.

No joy then :o( I might try upgrading Knode and see if that helps,
although as I said I've reinstalled it from my Slackware8.0 distro and
that didn't do anything.

Nice to know I was barking up the right tree anyway :o)

--
Kev
http://www.teop.org/

Post by Sundial Service » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:21:07

> I managed to crash out of my desktop (Gnome) yesterday while running
> Knode, and now I can't restart it (Knode, not the desktop). It runs fine
> for any user other than the user I was logged in as at the time, and it
> runs fine for that particular user in KDE, but not in Gnome. I tried
> running knode from the terminal to see if there were any useful error
> messages but there were none. It just waited a second or so and then
> returned my prompt.

> Following advice I'd seen for a similar problem in Google's archive, I
> tried deleting all the user-related files from /tmp (ksocket-<user>,
> mcop-<user> and one other, I forget the name). I then went to
> /home/<user>/.kde and eventually deleted the whole folder, trying to make
> Knode forget that this user had ever started it before. In the end I
> reinstalled KDE's networking package but none of this has worked.

> I was really liking Knode so I'm keen to revive it, and my best-guess is
> that I need to remove any data it's harbouring that relates to this user,
> but I don't know where to find it (or even if this will work, to be
> honest). Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Look for files in /tmp or in the .kde directory (normally hidden because it
starts with ".").

Blast anything that looks like it might have something to do with KDE.  :->

Post by Silva » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 09:40:46

> /home/<user>/.kde and eventually deleted the whole folder, trying to make
> Knode forget that this user had ever started it before. In the end I
> reinstalled KDE's networking package but none of this has worked.

After you nuked everything like that, it should have taken care of the
problem for sure if it were any sort of typical KDE residual config file
issue...  But your problem is as relates to running KNode from GNOME, so
you have introduced unfamiliar variables into the equation.

Before doing anything else, I'd suggest that you take another look at /tmp.
Are you _positive_ there isn't some lingering dotfile in there that's
causing your trouble?  My usual way of deal with /tmp is to just nuke it
and make a new one.  Make sure it has 1777 permissions.

Beyond that, I don't know.  This is a *e to diagnose over the phone.
If I poked around on your computer, I might see something, or I might not.
Since I can't poke around on your computer, you're going to have to do it.
:)

The fact that it's only happening to user X and not user Y indicates that
it's a problem with user X's configuration.  You can all but eliminate
everything on the other side of the /home divide from consideration.
Re-installing KNode/kdenetwork is probably pointless.

It _could_ be some weird thing in /etc.  If your distro has an
/etc/profile.d setup, maybe your user isn't running a script there that's
supposed to set up his PATH or something.  I can think of a few scenarios
where that might be the case, but that's a pretty thin reach.

If KNode is working for user Y, then user X's configuration is screwed up
somewhere.  Since it isn't any of the ~/.kde files, it has to be something
else.  Did you delete...  Um...

        for f in `ls -a ~|grep -i cop`;do rm $f;done

Try running that again.  If you still don't stumble your way into joy, then
I can't think of much else to try except a systematic process of trial and
error.

Start by comparing the two users' environments.  In bash, you can issue a
set command to see what's what.  Log in as user X, then do something like

        set > /tmp/userX.environment

Repeat for user Y, then diff the two files to point out all the differences.
You might notice something with the PATH or some other environmental factor
at play.

If that still doesn't get you there, perhaps you could make a copy of user
X's ~ under some temporary dummy user account, and then start deleting
stuff (dotfiles and dot-directories) and trying KNode again and again until
you stumble onto the thing that was causing you trouble.

Um...  My final thought is one of permissions.  Did you somehow end up with
a configuration file that you don't own?  You might chown everything to
yourself just in case...

OK, that's all I can come up with...  Good luck!

--
Michael McIntyre         USDA zone 6b in SW VA, USA

---------========[Does your ls -O?]=======---------
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by MH » Mon, 28 Oct 2002 02:33:05

> I managed to crash out of my desktop (Gnome) yesterday while running
> Knode, and now I can't restart it (Knode, not the desktop). It runs fine
> for any user other than the user I was logged in as at the time, and it
> runs fine for that particular user in KDE, but not in Gnome. I tried
> running knode from the terminal to see if there were any useful error
> messages but there were none. It just waited a second or so and then
> returned my prompt.

> Following advice I'd seen for a similar problem in Google's archive, I
> tried deleting all the user-related files from /tmp (ksocket-<user>,
> mcop-<user> and one other, I forget the name). I then went to
> /home/<user>/.kde and eventually deleted the whole folder, trying to make
> Knode forget that this user had ever started it before. In the end I
> reinstalled KDE's networking package but none of this has worked.

> I was really liking Knode so I'm keen to revive it, and my best-guess is
> that I need to remove any data it's harbouring that relates to this user,
> but I don't know where to find it (or even if this will work, to be
> honest). Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Since you've already deleted all
the related KDE config files, it seems to me the problem is GNOME, not
Knode.

1. Restarting apache I killed it but it won't restart.

Be nice I am a beginner

I have killed httpd

It started with the problem that dispite the redirect line in
httpd.conf  the http address of my new virtual host kept turning up at
my orgional home page.

I killed the process after realising that I had to restart named to make
my changes
take effect and thought that I'd have to restart httpd to make it's
changes take effect -a fair hypothesis?

Starting it was not as easy as I would have first thought. for some
reason httpd was being directed to /var/lib/httpd, which didn't exist.
(although the httpd.conf file directed it to /usr/local/etc/httpd- a
chicken-or-the-egg scenario) I created the directory and httpd put the
relevant files in, however they are default files and not modified ones.

I created a sym link from /var/lib/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to
usr/local/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf wouldn't work "too many sym links"

I created a hard link, which doesn't work either (don't really know why
but there are apparently lots of errors on differnet lines.

Well that's my delemia

Hope you can help

Scott

2. adding a footer to all html docs

3. Gnome Xwindows crashed and won restart!

4. the Ultimate SCO Recovery challenge

5. KNode won't launch from kicker panel (but launches fine from CL)

6. computer viruses on NetBSD

7. Suddenly kmail/knode won't start

8. : Anyone with LS-120 drive & Linux out there?

9. kill -HUP won't restart process

10. Apache won't restart after adding a DSO module

11. Anyone know why this won't restart my ppp connection?

12. XServer on LCD won't work after VC change or xdm restart

13. httpd won't restart after host name change