how to manage printing jobs at linux print server

how to manage printing jobs at linux print server

Post by josh » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 04:34:42

Hi everyone,
  I am in charge of setting a linux box as print server. We have 3 HP
laserJdt network printers,users always print their jobs directly to
printers. This is convenient for them but very hard to management.
  The most significant need is to manage the 'queued jobs' of each
printer.

My question is

1, Is there web base interface or some convenient way to show the
users how busy each printer is, how many jobs waiting to be printed?
How can users 'see' this information in realtime?

2, If they send jobs to a printer that is long queued ( very very
heavy), is it possible that linux print server automatically move some
jobs to another idle printer, and then inform the user for the change
of printer assignment?Can it do 'load balance' at some criteria?

Thanks in advance

Joshua

how to manage printing jobs at linux print server

Post by Nils O. Sel?sd » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:38:04

Quote:> Hi everyone,
>   I am in charge of setting a linux box as print server. We have 3 HP
> laserJdt network printers,users always print their jobs directly to
> printers. This is convenient for them but very hard to management.
>   The most significant need is to manage the 'queued jobs' of each
> printer.

> My question is

> 1, Is there web base interface or some convenient way to show the
> users how busy each printer is, how many jobs waiting to be printed?
> How can users 'see' this information in realtime?

> 2, If they send jobs to a printer that is long queued ( very very
> heavy), is it possible that linux print server automatically move some
> jobs to another idle printer, and then inform the user for the change
> of printer assignment?Can it do 'load balance' at some criteria?

If you install KDE you have 'klpq' for printer jobs. Else you can
probably find something at www.freshmeat.net

how to manage printing jobs at linux print server

Post by josh » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 12:33:30

Thanks for the reply.
  I tried klpq and it is o.k.
  The problem is that
1, users are from Windows and Linux/Solaris. for MS windows users,
they can not 'see' klpq except they have X desktop environment.
2, I may be wrong, but when I tried klpq last time (Rh 7.1 with KDE
2.0), I found it hard to refresh every 1 second. I mean klpq always
unable 'show' the jobs queued correctly.

Any, I will try freshmeat.

> > Hi everyone,
> >   I am in charge of setting a linux box as print server. We have 3 HP
> > laserJdt network printers,users always print their jobs directly to
> > printers. This is convenient for them but very hard to management.
> >   The most significant need is to manage the 'queued jobs' of each
> > printer.

> > My question is

> > 1, Is there web base interface or some convenient way to show the
> > users how busy each printer is, how many jobs waiting to be printed?
> > How can users 'see' this information in realtime?

> > 2, If they send jobs to a printer that is long queued ( very very
> > heavy), is it possible that linux print server automatically move some
> > jobs to another idle printer, and then inform the user for the change
> > of printer assignment?Can it do 'load balance' at some criteria?

> If you install KDE you have 'klpq' for printer jobs. Else you can
> probably find something at www.freshmeat.net

1. how to manage printing jobs at linux print server

[...]

2. FreeBSD 3.2 installation on a laptop

3. Howto send print jobs to a remote print server (SMC Barricade)

4. mssge in /var/log/secure

5. Printing jobs via a print server

6. threads

7. send print job to NT print server

8. load balancing / sharing internet connection query

9. lpd stops sending queued print jobs to remote Print Server.

10. OpenServer 5.0.2: big print jobs to print server restart.

11. giving a user ability to manage printer and print jobs with lpc

12. I would like to print A4-copies, but I only manage to print A3.

13. Linux print client with *Linux* print server