Solaris and Linux

Post by Matt Zagn » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Is it possible to run Solaris applications on Linux ?

I think it is possible if the application was first built
on Solaris and moved to Linux it may work ?

Is this correct ?

I konw that iBCS works with SCO unix but I'm unsure of
Solaris.

Can anyone help ?

Many thanks

Matt

Solaris and Linux

Post by Matt Zagn » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

After the reply from James..

Looks like I'm stuck then ?

There goes that idea..

Many thanks

Matt

Subject: Re: Solaris and Linux

> Hi,

> Is it possible to run Solaris applications on Linux ?

Solaris binaries, no, Solaris apps, yes. Generally, most Solaris code
need only be recompiled to run under Linux with little or no changes.

Quote:> I think it is possible if the application was first built
> on Solaris and moved to Linux it may work ?

No.

Quote:> Is this correct ?

> I konw that iBCS works with SCO unix but I'm unsure of
> Solaris.

Solaris doesn't use the Intel Binary Compatibility Standard (iBCS).
Quote:

> Can anyone help ?

> Many thanks

> Matt

Solaris and Linux

Post by jed » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

>Is it possible to run Solaris applications on Linux ?

>I think it is possible if the application was first built
>on Solaris and moved to Linux it may work ?

        I'll let you know. I am getting the freebie version of
        Solaris (whenever it manages to take it's sweet time
        getting here) & of course I will attempt to run any
        programs of unusual interest under linux. '-)

Quote:

--
Hardly. Microsoft has brought the microcomputer OS to
the point where it is more bloated than even OSes from          |||

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

Solaris and Linux

Post by Kerry J. Co » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

It might not be possible to run Solaris apps on a Linux standalone, but
I frequently tel;ent into the many Solaris machines that we use here at
work and bring up their apps onn my XWindows server.  The first time I
saw this I was amazed.  As the person who showed me said, "This is what
Windows NT wants to do when it grows up."
How to do this is easy enough.

1) Telnet into the Solaris machine whose app you want to use.
2) cd into the directory where the binary is located
3) Type "export DISPLAY=my_machine's_name:0.0" (without the quotes)
4) Bring up a window on your own machine and su over to root
5) In that windows type "xhost +"
6) Now in the Solaris window start the app, i.e. "./metatool"

If this doesn't work check the following files, nslookup,
/etc/resolv.conf, nsswitch.conf
Hope that helps.
It has certainly made my life easier.
KJ

--

.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
| Kerry J. Cox                          Vyzynz International Inc. |

| Systems Administrator                 http://vii.com/           |
`-----------------------------------------------------------------'

Solaris and Linux

Post by Stephane Brune » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Solaris apps on ANY other platform:  NO WAY.
Unless you recompile the source code.
Solaris apps are compiled for the Sun architecture (SPARC or Ultrasparc
I and II processors).

--
+-------------------------------------+

| B.Eng. Computer       (450)476-4392 |
| Software Systems Developper         |
| Dept. 49, CF-18 Systems Engineering |
| CAE Electronics Ltd, Montreal, CAN  |
+-------------------------------------+

Solaris and Linux

Post by Phil Brutsch » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Is it possible to run Solaris applications on Linux ?

> I think it is possible if the application was first built
> on Solaris and moved to Linux it may work ?

> Is this correct ?

If you happen to be running Linux on a SPARC it will work, otherwise
no.

Phil Brutsche

"Be of stout heart, Number One.  We've handled the Borg.  We can
certainly handle Admiral Jellico." - Jean-Luc Picard

Help stop spam!  Visit http://www.cauce.org

Solaris and Linux

Post by Jorrit Tyberghei » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Solaris apps on ANY other platform:  NO WAY.
>Unless you recompile the source code.
>Solaris apps are compiled for the Sun architecture (SPARC or Ultrasparc
>I and II processors).

Not always. Solaris also exists for Pentium processors. And since both
Linux and Solaris use ELF there is actually a chance that you might be
able to run Intel-compiled Solaris executables on Linux.

I think it is also going to depend on the availability of all the shared
libraries that are used by the Solaris program.

Greetings,

Project Manager of Crystal Space, a free and portable 3D 6DOF portal engine.
More info at: http://crystal.linuxgames.com

Solaris and Linux

Post by Jorrit Tyberghei » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>> Hi,

>> Is it possible to run Solaris applications on Linux ?

>> I think it is possible if the application was first built
>> on Solaris and moved to Linux it may work ?

>> Is this correct ?
>If you happen to be running Linux on a SPARC it will work, otherwise
>no.

Or vice versa, have Solaris running on Intel. There is a Solaris
version for Intel so this might work. The executable format for
Solaris and Linux is the same (ELF).

Greetings,

Project Manager of Crystal Space, a free and portable 3D 6DOF portal engine.
More info at: http://crystal.linuxgames.com

Solaris and Linux

Post by Martin Spot » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Or vice versa, have Solaris running on Intel. There is a Solaris
> version for Intel so this might work. The executable format for
> Solaris and Linux is the same (ELF).

But some system calls (and more) are different. So Solaris binaries are used
_not_ to run on Linux - and vice versa.

There is (rather incomplete) support for Solaris binaries on Linux via
'iBCS2', there is also some support for Linux binaries on Solaris via
'lxrun', which follows a very promising concept and really deserves support
(http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~steven/lxrun/),

Martin.
--
        martin "at" quickstep "punkt" dirnet "punkt" com

Solaris and Linux

Post by bgee » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

 >> Is it possible to run Solaris applications on Linux ?
 >>
 >> I think it is possible if the application was first built
 >> on Solaris and moved to Linux it may work ?

By "moved to Linux" I assume you mean "ported to Linux", meaning
compiling the source code on a Linux platform.  I recently developed a
client/server application using Linux then ported it to:

        a) SunOS   4.1.x - took about 10 minutes
        b) Solaris 5.5.1 - took about 60 minutes

Note I used gcc/g++ on all machines.  Obviously, YMMV depending on
everything that must be ported.  In particular, I have done little
porting of X apps, but simple applications like hexcalc & xascii port
directly.

The anomalies I encountered in my client/server application:

1) 1 header file:
        #ifdef LINUX
        #include "asm/page.h"
        #endif /* LINUX */

2) signal() in Linux & Solaris required resetting the child process
termination signal handler after each termination; SunOS did not
require it.

3) setsockopt() differed slightly:
        setsockopt( listen_socket,
                    SOL_SOCKET,
                    SO_REUSEADDR,
        #ifdef LINUX
                    (void*) &sockoptval,
        #endif /* LINUX */
        #ifdef SUN4OS5
                    (const char*) &sockoptval,
        #endif /* SUN4OS5 */
                    sockoptlen ) ;

4) Link flags & libs differences:
        LINUX_LFLAGS            =
        SUN4OS4_LFLAGS          = -fno-gnu-linker
        SUN4OS5_LFLAGS          = -fno-gnu-linker

        LINUX_LIBS              =
        SUN4OS4_LIBS            =
        SUN4OS5_LIBS            = -lnsl -lsocket

Hope this helps...Bob
--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky /              *             <>

<>   Salt Lake City, Utah   |   -\<,      * <\      </L   <>