Where is Xconfigurator in RH 8.0

Post by Yvan » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:10:19

I just changed my monitor (LG 775 FT -> Samsung 957 DF), and I thought to
make backup of my  XF86Config, and see how would new one look like (if
monitor will be recognized). I was surprised that there is no  Xconfigurator
any more on my RH 8.0 installation. locate does not find it. Is some other
program now in its place? Which? xf86config is not what I am looking for.
I edited my XF86Config, and it is working OK, I am just curious...

--
****** NoSpam email address. Do NOT reply! ******
******* perlica - at - yahoo - dot - com ********

Where is Xconfigurator in RH 8.0

Post by Steve B » Tue, 17 Dec 2002 06:45:31

Quote:> I just changed my monitor (LG 775 FT -> Samsung 957 DF), and I
thought to
> make backup of my  XF86Config, and see how would new one look like
(if
> monitor will be recognized). I was surprised that there is no
Xconfigurator
> any more on my RH 8.0 installation. locate does not find it. Is some
other
> program now in its place? Which? xf86config is not what I am looking
for.
> I edited my XF86Config, and it is working OK, I am just curious...

It's gone use redhat-config-xfree86.  Not as nice as Xconfigurator,
but its what they ship now.

Steve Barnette

Post by Yvan » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:55:32

| > I was surprised that there is no Xconfigurator
| > any more on my RH 8.0 installation.
| >
| It's gone use redhat-config-xfree86.  Not as nice as Xconfigurator,
| but its what they ship now.

I do not understand why do they change something like that. Usually I skip X
configuration during installation of RH, but now I configured it. Would I be
surprised :-) And a lot of things I was used in 7.3 are missing in 8.0.
Shouldn't there be some standard, it is very inconvenient that I have to
adjust to something new every time...

--

Post by Dave Bro » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 03:37:29

>| It's gone use redhat-config-xfree86.  Not as nice as Xconfigurator,
>| but its what they ship now.

> I do not understand why do they change something like that. Usually I skip X
> configuration during installation of RH, but now I configured it. Would I be
> surprised :-) And a lot of things I was used in 7.3 are missing in 8.0.
> Shouldn't there be some standard, it is very inconvenient that I have to
> adjust to something new every time...

I suspect that RH is aiming toward a generalized SysAdmin tool, something
like other commercial Unix systems provide, and that will differentiate
them from other Linux vendors.  What's available now is a number of
fragments, i.e., "redhat-config-*".

I've looked at RH 8.0.  But since RH 7.2 supports everything I need to do,
I wouldn't plan to upgrade for a long time. (At least, not until RH pulls
the plug on fixes to 7.2.)

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

Post by Mark Landrevill » Sun, 22 Dec 2002 16:33:48

> I just changed my monitor (LG 775 FT -> Samsung 957 DF), and I thought to
> make backup of my  XF86Config, and see how would new one look like (if
> monitor will be recognized). I was surprised that there is no  Xconfigurator
> any more on my RH 8.0 installation. locate does not find it. Is some other
> program now in its place? Which? xf86config is not what I am looking for.
> I edited my XF86Config, and it is working OK, I am just curious...

There's something better:

see "man XFree86"

Cheers,

Mark